PDA

View Full Version : New baby home with no name - Please help!

goodnightmoon
05-03-2010, 10:35 AM
We're back home with our new baby boy and haven't been able to pick a name. Please help me decide between the following names: Gabriel, Gabe and Ben. We would use the full name Gabriel or Benjamin on the birth certificate, but need to decide which name/nickname we like best. Thank you!

Edited: Wanted to add that big sisters' names are Eva and Sophia. The baby's middle name will be an unusal family name and the last name is hyphenated, so not working with the best options, but all 3 choices seem equally good with them.

Thanks again. :)

julevizamom
05-03-2010, 10:38 AM
We know lots of Bens, so I vote Gabriel. It's still a classic, strong boy's name, but a little more unique right now.

Conrats on your new baby, whatever name you choose!

infomama
05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
I only know one Ben. I love that name.

maydaymommy
05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
All I want to say is, take your time & don't feel bad for waiting until you are sure. I had naming regret for a while. I think it is particularly hard if you have older dc and LOVE their names.

Congrats on the new baby!

I like Gabe & Ben. We have a Benjamin who is called Benje, and there are a whole lot of Bens around. If you like Gabriel, and you like the nn Gabe, you should go for it!!

wellyes
05-03-2010, 10:41 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Ben is a very trendy name right now. Plus Bens are villains (the Steelers, Lost). So all things being equal I'd go with Gabe.

MoJo
05-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Welcome, little boy!

I know one Benjamin (nickname Ben) and one Gabriel (nickname Gabe) and voted for Benjamin.

You could use both names, unless you already have a middle name picked out.

Hope everything else is going well with the new little one!

TwinFoxes
05-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I love the name Ben. Gabe to me is a cranky old man, I don't care for it. Gabriel is nice though.

momof2girls
05-03-2010, 11:03 AM
I voted Gabriel. I know too many Bens.

JTsMom
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Congratulations! :bighand: I voted for Benjamin, but I think both are lovely choices.

WatchingThemGrow
05-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Gabe was a hottie I dated in HS. I vote for Gabe!

goldenpig
05-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Congratulations!

What are your DDs' names--it might help pick your son's name if it goes better with those.
I voted for Benjamin...I prefer it to Gabe/Gabriel. But both names are great.

arivecchi
05-03-2010, 11:15 AM
I voted Benjamin. I like the sound of Eva, Sophia and Benjamin. That name seems to flow more than Gabriel when coupled with the siblings' names.

We also named both of our boys once we were back home. It took us forever to decide! You're not alone! :)

hobie
05-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm not a fan of nicknames...it only causes problems when signing legal documents. My parents both have nicknames, and it has always been a hassle for them (which is why my bro and I both have stand alone names). If you want his name to be Ben or Gabe, so be it, and don't mess around with the nickname/real name flipflops.

sste
05-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Well, I am biased because I have a Gabriel (though interestingly we also considered Ben). Gabriel/Gabe is *slightly* less popular but at least where I live not a huge difference. We have really enjoyed alternating between Gabe and Gabriel, letting other people choose, and letting DS choose (at 2.5 he alternates between gabey and gabriel). We also love that Gabriel is in the old testament, new testament, and koran - - kind of a unifying angel is the way I always thought of it. :)

And, watchingthemgrow, I also knew a hot Gabe in high school!

JBaxter
05-03-2010, 11:41 AM
I know MANY Bens and only one Gabriel that goes by Gabriel I voted Gabriel

elephantmeg
05-03-2010, 11:44 AM
congrats on your new baby! I voted Gabe!

elektra
05-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I voted Benjamin. I love that name. If it wasn't already someone's name in our family, there is a good chance DS would have been named that. It sounds strong, kind and gentle. Great name. :)

almostmom
05-03-2010, 12:10 PM
LOTS of benjamins, bens, benjis around me, and I live around Boston. We considered it as a name for DS, and though I think it's a really nice name, I'm glad we didn't pick it!

I don't know any Gabriels, but I think it's a great name. No need to decide on the nickname part right now!

scrooks
05-03-2010, 12:12 PM
I vote Gabe...less popular! And Congrats!!!:cheerleader1:

We also couldn't decide Ds's name. He didn't have a name until his 3rd day of life!

tmarie
05-03-2010, 12:16 PM
all great options. Congratulations and good luck! :)

tmarie

trentsmom
05-03-2010, 01:36 PM
I like the name Gabriel. In my mind, I automatically started singing "Blow, Gabriel, Blow" from "Anything Goes." I haven't thought of that song in years! And I like that Gabriel is not as common right now.

goldenpig
05-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Actually, Gabriel is more common than Benjamin..but only slightly!
2008 SSA stats: Gabriel #24, Benjamin #25.

Pennylane
05-03-2010, 01:49 PM
I love Benjamin and think it sounds so nice with your dd's names. Congrats!!

Ann

g-mama
05-03-2010, 01:53 PM
I voted Ben. My middle ds is Benjamin (usually called Ben) and I just love it. It's a great name and, around here, there don't seem to be very many, at least that I hear of.

I also like it better with your dd's names than Gabe or Gabriel.

MommyofAmaya
05-03-2010, 01:55 PM
I voted Gabriel, call him Gabriel, but I LOVE all the options and they were high on our list of names for boys. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these. I also knew a hottie named Gabe in HS.

mommylamb
05-03-2010, 01:56 PM
I voted Gabriel, but I really like Benjamin, call him Benjamin (I'm just not a fan of Ben as a nick name).

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
05-03-2010, 02:01 PM
I borught Nick home from the hospital wo a name because I really, really wanted to name him Gabe and DH would not hear of it. It is still my fav name!

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!

I adore Benjamin. I like Gabriel (calling him either) as well.

Beth

JoyNChrist
05-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Congrats! I like Ben best, although Gabriel is also nice (I'm not a huge fan of Gabe).

jgenie
05-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Congratulations on your new little one!!

kransden
05-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Both are good, but I like Gabe better!
Congratulations!

doberbrat
05-03-2010, 03:36 PM
its so personal... but take your time. it took us WEEKS to name dd2

happymom
05-03-2010, 03:44 PM
I voted Gabriel. If you're not sure about the nickname, you could always start out calling him Gabriel and just go with the flow...as you get to know him, you may decide to shorten it to Gabe, or you make think he's more of a Gabriel, KWIM?

Congrats!

longtallsally05
05-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Lots of little Benjamins running around out there these days. I'd go with Gabriel & no nicknames. He'll thank you for it when he's NOT the 4th kid in his class to be called Ben.

citymama
05-05-2010, 01:56 AM
Congrats on the new baby! :cheerleader1:

Both names are beautiful. I'm partial to Ben or Benjamin so I voted for that name. I also like Gabriel without the nickname. Can't go wrong either way!

becca_g
05-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Congratulations on the new baby!

You can't go wrong with any of those choices.

I voted for Gabriel/Gabriel just because I think it's easier to stick with a full name these days. Makes things like medical insurance cards, airline tickets, legal signatures, etc. easier.

I go by my middle name and frequently run into issues like having 2 different medical charts at the same hospital (1 under my first name and 1 under my middle), having to make sure the name on my airline tickets matches my ID rather than the name I go by, and so on.

Probably not as big of a deal if you're using one of the nicknames you listed since both are so close to the full names, but just something to consider. If you had listed Benjamin/Benjamin as an option, I would have liked that equally as well as Gabriel/Gabriel.

We couldn't decide on a name for DS until he was a couple of days old, so don't feel bad (or pressured)!

Nicsmom
05-05-2010, 07:00 AM
I vote for Gabriel. Is a great name, no need for a nickname. Benjamin is also a great name but because your last name is hyphenated I am assuming it is long so I think it is better to have a shorter first name.