PDA

View Full Version : Ice cream!

arivecchi
05-03-2010, 11:05 AM
With summer approching, I have already stated buying ice cream treats for the boys. Which kinds of ice cream do you like to get for your DC? Thought it mighht be fun to try some new kinds of ice cream. :)

bnme
05-03-2010, 11:25 AM
My boys love ice pops. Favorites are Scribblers and Fla-vor-ice. They also love ice cream sandwichs and the mini chocolate/vanilla cups. We also regularly make sundaes! And of course hit the local place that makes fresh italian ice and the local ice cream parlor. Can you tell we love our ice cream?

TwinFoxes
05-03-2010, 11:26 AM
I just bought mango and ice cream bars from TJs, 1/2 the bar is mango, 1/2 vanilla ice cream. They are very tasty, the mango is very mango-y, and the vanilla ice ream is good too. They are also small, which is good because the girls can barely finish a whole one.

kep
05-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I just bought mango and ice cream bars from TJs, 1/2 the bar is mango, 1/2 vanilla ice cream. They are very tasty, the mango is very mango-y, and the vanilla ice ream is good too. They are also small, which is good because the girls can barely finish a whole one.

We love these too, but we get the raspberry version. Yummmmm. :)

arivecchi
05-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I just bought mango and ice cream bars from TJs, 1/2 the bar is mango, 1/2 vanilla ice cream. They are very tasty, the mango is very mango-y, and the vanilla ice ream is good too. They are also small, which is good because the girls can barely finish a whole one. I just got the latte ones. YUM. Love the size. I also got the sublime cookie sandwiches and the chocolate-covered frozen bananas. :bag

hobie
05-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Try making your own! We have the Cuisinart Ice Cream maker, and it is so easy to use! I use the included no-cook recipie, and it's litterly pour in the ingrediants, flip the switch, and you have ice cream in 30 mins. The kiddos love to watch it being made, and it does taste good as well.

arivecchi
05-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Try making your own! We have the Cuisinart Ice Cream maker, and it is so easy to use! I use the included no-cook recipie, and it's litterly pour in the ingrediants, flip the switch, and you have ice cream in 30 mins. The kiddos love to watch it being made, and it does taste good as well. I bought one years ago and it never turned out right for me. :( I am clueless in all kitchen-related matters though!

TwinFoxes
05-03-2010, 12:09 PM
I bought one years ago and it never turned out right for me. :(

Don't feel bad. My DH was so excited to register for this when we were getting married, and someone got it for us. We could NEVER get the consistency right. It never even got to slurpee consistency. It was yummy, but not ice cream. It got left behind on one of our many cross-country moves.

rlu
05-03-2010, 12:30 PM
We get popsicles, I think they are Dryers, that are 100% juice or fairly close. We also make popsicles using 100% juice (but make ours with 1/2 juice, 1/2 water). DS likes plain old vanilla ice cream with Hersheys chocolate (one of my favs as well) so we don't bother getting treats (but my favs are ice cream sandwiches and DH prefers Its-Its.)

eta: the raspberry/ice cream things from TJs sounds awfully tempting.

Dream
05-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Hmmm you got me thinking. I might have to stick to popcicals, will check them out at TJ today. DD's allergic to egg white so I have to be carefull with ice cream.

crl
05-03-2010, 01:01 PM
DS is allergic to milk. But he really likes ice cream so we have soy based ice cream sandwiches for him all the time. He especially likes the Neopolitian ones I can only find at Whole Foods (not my usual store).

Catherine

TwinFoxes
05-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Hmmm you got me thinking. I might have to stick to popcicals, will check them out at TJ today. DD's allergic to egg white so I have to be carefull with ice cream.

I have my box here, and this is the ingredients list:
Water, mango, sugar, cream, glucose syrup (corn) fat free milk powder, citric acid, annatto (color)

The box says it is processed in a facility that processes tree nuts and peanuts.

I hope that helps! :)

pinkmomagain
05-03-2010, 01:49 PM
My kids like the new, small drumsticks (we get the choc fudge and cookie dough combo). I think they are a good portion size.

JoyNChrist
05-03-2010, 02:23 PM
We like those orange & vanilla pops (dreamsicles?) and raspberry sorbet. DS likes regular old 100% fruit popsicles (I usually buy Dole).

rlu
05-03-2010, 02:42 PM
My kids like the new, small drumsticks (we get the choc fudge and cookie dough combo). I think they are a good portion size.

Oh, MIL bought those once when staying with us. I revoke my answer, DS loves these as well (note to self: must look to see if on sale.)

elektra
05-03-2010, 02:48 PM
I haven't bought ice cream in awhile actually. DH did tell me that he saw Joe Joe's and cream flavored ice cream that I think we need to try though. :)

Dream
05-03-2010, 03:22 PM
I have my box here, and this is the ingredients list:
Water, mango, sugar, cream, glucose syrup (corn) fat free milk powder, citric acid, annatto (color)

The box says it is processed in a facility that processes tree nuts and peanuts.

I hope that helps! :)

Thanks for posting the ingredients. Apart from egg whites,she's allergic to peanuts too, although mild allergy. I wonder whether I should give it a try tho?

essnce629
05-03-2010, 03:54 PM
DH did tell me that he saw Joe Joe's and cream flavored ice cream that I think we need to try though. :)

DBF bought this last week and loves it! He's eaten it every night since!

For those with milk and/or egg allergies, or just want to try something new, I tried a coconut milk ice cream the other day. Coconut milk is the new soy I've heard, but it tastes soooo much better-- especially when it comes to yogurt and ice cream since it's naturally creamy and smooth. I got the Coconut Bliss brand in the naked almond fudge flavor. OMG, this has to be the best ice cream I've ever had!!!! I bought it at Whole Foods and it's expensive ($5.xx on sale for a pint!), but WOW, I really think this is going to be my new favorite treat for myself. They have several flavors, but I love almonds and fudge and with the coconut ice cream== HEAVEN! It's 100% dairy-free, egg-free, vegan, kosher, and organic. Here's the Coconut Bliss website:

http://www.coconutbliss.com/index.html

crl
05-03-2010, 05:10 PM
DBF bought this last week and loves it! He's eaten it every night since!

For those with milk and/or egg allergies, or just want to try something new, I tried a coconut milk ice cream the other day. Coconut milk is the new soy I've heard, but it tastes soooo much better-- especially when it comes to yogurt and ice cream since it's naturally creamy and smooth. I got the Coconut Bliss brand in the naked almond fudge flavor. OMG, this has to be the best ice cream I've ever had!!!! I bought it at Whole Foods and it's expensive ($5.xx on sale for a pint!), but WOW, I really think this is going to be my new favorite treat for myself. They have several flavors, but I love almonds and fudge and with the coconut ice cream== HEAVEN! It's 100% dairy-free, egg-free, vegan, kosher, and organic. Here's the Coconut Bliss website:

http://www.coconutbliss.com/index.html

That stuff is reeeaallly good. DS prefers his sandwiches but the grown-ups prefer the coconut milk ice cream.

Catherine

calv
05-25-2010, 06:18 PM
JUST received my pretty red Cuisinart Ice Cream maker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's your favorite recipe?

SkyrMommy
05-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Mmmmmm... now I want icecream! Must check the freezer!!! :ROTFLMAO:

We usually have some sort of Eddy's fruit popsicles in the freezer... I think right now we have lemonade popsicles - you should see DDs face when she takes her first lick/bite!

sue_g
05-25-2010, 06:54 PM
JUST received my pretty red Cuisinart Ice Cream maker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's your favorite recipe?

Me too. We just got ours today.

Maybe you could post a new thread for recipes.

MommyofAmaya
05-25-2010, 07:06 PM

This one is my fave:
http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/03/butterscotch-ice-cream/

MMMommy
05-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Ditto on the TJ's vanilla-mango and vanilla-raspberry bars. They are small and have no stick.

Ditto also on the mini Drumsticks. DDs love them!

I also really like TJ's triple popsicle (raspberry, lemon, and strawberry in one popsicle). They are really refreshing and not artificial tasting. More like frozen sorbet in a popsicle. These are larger, and I think they come only four to a box,

I also buy Popsicle brand sugar-free popsicles.

Good Humor brand Strawberry Parfait bars and Toasted Almond bars are also yummy!

Twoboos
05-25-2010, 07:17 PM
We are loving Edy's Real Fruit pops (or something). Lemonade and Coconut are beyond fantastic. We are all addicted.

PunkyBoo
05-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Oh my gosh, my all-time favorite ice cream recipe is fo rnectarine ice cream- it's creamy, not sorbet. It is DIVINE- so delicious, and seems "fancy" enough to serve for guests (ooohh, especially with those little waffle-cone-cookie thingies... mmmmmm.....)

Here is the recipe we use:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Nectarine-Ice-Cream-12294

It is a little more labor-intensive than usual "dump it in and go" recipes, but it's not compicated and the results are SO worth it. Mmm, I think it's time for me to go buy some nectarines :)

fattytuna
05-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Lately I've been making our own, without a machine. I found a recipe online that turned out pretty good - you know, actually tastes like ice cream and not like something out of some strange science experiment.

http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/thermo/ice_cream/ice_cream.html

I don't have a double boiler as stated - I just put a small pot into a larger one and watch the heat. The key is to slowly add the eggs while the milk is not too hot. Or you end up with egg drop/egg flower soup :)

I let the kids toss the bags once or twice for fun. After the novelty wore off, and I don't want to deal with the cleaning up afterwards anymore, I now simply pour them into pop molds and freeze them. I specifically looked for small molds (my kids are young) so the kids can finish the ice cream before they start melting. I have this one

http://www.amazon.com/Orka-Ice-Molds-Brown-Base/dp/B001RCTMTA/

It works great! The silicon cover peals off easily. The cover cups catche the drip when eating.