PDA

View Full Version : How to get stains out of clothes

happi
05-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Ok, how do you get your stains out of clothes? I haven't really had many stains until now and don't really know what to do if shout doesn't work. I remember when I was small my mother having a jar with AJAX and a paintbrush in it and she would "paint" that on the stains, but I was small so don't know if it worked.
thanks
Happi:bowdown:

JBaxter
05-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I use a bar of fels naptha and scrub it good then a 24 hr soak in strong oxyclean

sste
05-03-2010, 11:43 AM
The shout ultra gel (the one with the little scrubby top) gets virtually everything out for me. Especially if I let it sit for a couple of days. Also, never had bleaching or fading problems with it.

TwinFoxes
05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
I use a bar of fels naptha and scrub it good then a 24 hr soak in strong oxyclean

You or someone else posted about this before, and since then I've looked for fels naptha and have NEVER seen it! And we live in the same general region...what store do you find it in? I've looked in Targets, CVSs, and Wegmans.

boolady
05-03-2010, 12:20 PM
You or someone else posted about this before, and since then I've looked for fels naptha and have NEVER seen it! And we live in the same general region...what store do you find it in? I've looked in Targets, CVSs, and Wegmans.

I don't know about Target or CVS, but my Wegmans (in NJ) carries it. It's at the stain stick end of the laundry section with all of the other odds and ends type things...IIRC, it's on the bottom shelf, or near the bottom.

JBaxter
05-03-2010, 12:24 PM
I get it at the grocery store Martins ( Giant corp) check with the other stain removers its VERY easy to miss it looks like a bar of soap wrapped in white paper with Fels Naptha on the front I bet I walked by it 3 times myself. Its cheep like 1.09

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/jeanaspictures/pACE3-4454598reg.jpg

TwinFoxes
05-03-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't know about Target or CVS, but my Wegmans (in NJ) carries it. It's at the stain stick end of the laundry section with all of the other odds and ends type things...IIRC, it's on the bottom shelf, or near the bottom.

I'll check again. I've just looked up a picture, so I'll know what to look for. It doesn't even look vaguely familiar to me.

TwinFoxes
05-03-2010, 12:26 PM
I get it at the grocery store Martins ( Giant corp) check with the other stain removers its VERY easy to miss it looks like a bar of soap wrapped in white paper with Fels Naptha on the front I bet I walked by it 3 times myself. Its cheep like 1.09

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/jeanaspictures/pACE3-4454598reg.jpg

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out.

JBaxter
05-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Hanna Andersson recommends it for stains on their cloths. A friend of mine soaked a survivor jacket in oxyclean and it messed up the dyes in the fabric. She found out the hard way that Hanna recommends fels naptha

trentsmom
05-03-2010, 01:39 PM

Another Fels Naptha fan here. I even have a small scrub board that I use it with. I live in Northern Virginia, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Giant. The bar lasts me for years.

For greasy stains, I use Zout and then let it sit for at least 24 hours before I wash it.

HIU8
05-03-2010, 01:57 PM
I will have to look for that also. I normally soak in oxyclean and/or use amodex (which has always worked but sometimes take multiple applications).

Corie
05-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Fels Naptha has worked on every single stain. Even stains that have made
it all the way through the dryer.

sunshine873
05-03-2010, 04:41 PM
A friend told me that she pre-soaks all stained clothes in water & dishwashing detergent (powdered Cascade.) I haven't tried it yet, but my immediate thought was...I'm going to have to ask about this at BBB! :) Has anyone else tried this?

SammyeGail
05-03-2010, 05:30 PM
A friend told me that she pre-soaks all stained clothes in water & dishwashing detergent (powdered Cascade.) I haven't tried it yet, but my immediate thought was...I'm going to have to ask about this at BBB! :) Has anyone else tried this?

I've used some liquid Dawn dishwashing detergent and hot water, with a tooth brush to scrub on grease stains, its worked great. I've never thought about doing a soak! Sounds like a idea worth trying!

I found when using Oxi-clean, I dissolve the powder in hot water, wait until all the water is lukewarm before I put the clothes in. I also soak by colors and sometimes put a 'color catcher' in there ;). I had some red stripes run into the white of the shirt, but it came out after a short soak in cold water oxi-clean. Of course it was Hanna.

I wonder if they even sell Fels Natha in the South....To choose from where we live is Bi-Lo (a grocery store) Target and Wal-Mart :(.

If anyone wants to buy and mail me some, lol, PM me, I have funded paypal :).

Corie
05-03-2010, 05:34 PM
I converted quite a few friends in Rhode Island over to Fels Naptha!!
I've mailed several bars to my sister and my bachelor brother in Texas. :)
I hope I can find it here in Cincinnati!! Although, I did buy 2 new bars
in RI and bring them with me so I should be good for quite awhile.

Our grocery store (in RI) has it in the same aisle as the bar soap. I think it's
supposed to work really well for poison ivy too.

happi
05-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Hey, you can get it on Ebay. I am in the same boat, all I have to shop at is Walmart and a couple of grocery stores. I would like to get some and try it, sounds like it works.

salsah
05-03-2010, 06:31 PM
i usually use zout but i'm trying to use dish soap, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol more often. i use dishwasher detergent (liquid cascade) for stubborn stains on whites (just a drop on the stain and let it sit for a little) -- most dishwasher detergents have bleach in them so i wouldn't try it on colors.

Melbel
05-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Zout has worked miracles for me and it is readily available at Target, etc.

LMPC
05-03-2010, 08:27 PM
I think it's supposed to work really well for poison ivy too.

:hysterical:

I'm sorry but that's too funny -- something that is good for poison ivy AND gets grape juice out?!?! That's some kind of miracle product! Anyone found it in NC?? I have to get some!

ewpmsw
05-03-2010, 09:27 PM
grease stains (before dryer): baby shampoo or dish detergent and hot water

other stains (before dryer): shout; oxyclean; allow white or light-colored items to hang out in full sun for several hours

I've heard of people laying clothes out on a towel in the grass and sun to get stains out. One person swore the chlorophil in the grass helped, but I'm guessing it was the sun.