PDA

View Full Version : Dump or Landfill advice

JenChem
05-03-2010, 12:18 PM
We are moving in a month and need to empty our garage. We have items like scrap wood, old closet doors, an old tv antenna we pulled off the roof, some scrap metal, some chicken wire from a partial fence, some large glass panes (left by the previous owner), and other junk. Any advice on how best to dispose of these items? I would love to find somewhere that will use them instead of just dumping them.

HIU8
05-03-2010, 12:22 PM
We have used 1800 Got Junk. It is overwhelming to divide up the stuff for recycling etc...

rlu
05-03-2010, 12:27 PM
You might try freecycle if you have a group in your area.

sariana
05-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Does anyone know if 1-800-GOT-JUNK takes rocks? It would cost $400 to get a dumpster from our waste management. I don't have a vehicle to take it to the dump myself; it would take several trips (we have a LOT of rocks); and it still would be expensive.

Does Got Junk charge by weight?

kristenk
05-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know if 1-800-GOT-JUNK takes rocks? It would cost $400 to get a dumpster from our waste management. I don't have a vehicle to take it to the dump myself; it would take several trips (we have a LOT of rocks); and it still would be expensive.

Does Got Junk charge by weight?

My FIL got rid of tons of rocks by posting them free on craigs list. I don't think he did freecycle b/c freecycle isn't very active in our community.

HIU8
05-03-2010, 01:59 PM
When I did 1 800 got junk they came and gave me an estimate based on size of truck and amount of items I had. My items were all large furniture that I could not move to take someplace to donate (they were also old and falling apart). It cost me $350 to fill the truck (totally worth it b/c I could never have done it myself or wait for the date that a donation truck would be in my area).