PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite "everyday" wine?

elektra
05-03-2010, 01:13 PM
And bonus points if you can buy it at Trader Joe's!
Once DS was fully weaned (about a month ago) I started drinking wine again. Yippee!
We have been getting something called Jeremiah's Sweet Red (I think). It's over by the Rieslings at TJ's. It's kind of like a Beaujolais which I do enjoy in the summer. DH loves it too.
I can't do the two buck chuck. I get bad headaches from that wine for some reason.

My favorite wine of all time is Bordeaux. I had a bottle once that changed my life! Anyone try any TJ's bordeauxs?
DH likes Riesling, Guertzameiner (sp), very sweet stuff basically. I do like Riesling too. It's also very summery to me. Same as Viognier.

So anyone have any specific (actual brands) suggestions or favorites?

egoldber
05-03-2010, 01:21 PM
At Trader Joe I usually buy the Penfolds Koonunga Hills Shiraz Cabernet. It's yummy and less than $10. I also buy the Ravenswood Sonoma Valley Zinfandel. In season (late fall), I buy Georges DuBeouf Beaujolais Nouveau there.

teedeedee
05-03-2010, 01:22 PM
I used to be a sweet wine girl. I have slowly started to drink and enjoy other whites. Still can't do the reds. My and DH (who loves ANY and ALL wine) have found our everyday fave.

It's a New Zealand vineyard called Nobilo. Their Sauvignon Blanc is incredible. It's about $10 a bottle and even friends who are wine snobs really like it when I serve it. LOVE LOVE LOVE that wine! Worse part of being pregnant is not having it! (I will not even allow DH to bring it in the house!) =)

Not sure if you can get it at TJs as ours is just breaking ground, but I have found it all over for that $10 price tag.

Twoboos
05-03-2010, 01:26 PM
OMG, Koonunga Hill Shiraz/Cab- YUM!

I always go and by a bunch of random bottles at TJ's, and then don't keep track of what we like. DUH. Maybe this thread will help.

There are some good ones we get at the liquor store. Love Pine & Post, I think it's a Cab (we are out at the moment :). Also, a friend's DH is the importer for these three Italian wines: Rosa Pesce (red), SI (white, in a funky curved bottle), and Prima Pearla (Persecco). I LOVE all these.

creativelightbulb
05-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Black Box wine...

yes I know what a horror....

BUT

it is really decent wine for everyday and I love that it has a self life and I don't have to finish a whole bottle if I don't want it ...

infomama
05-03-2010, 01:37 PM
My favorite Riesling is Willamette Valley's
http://www.willamettevalleyvineyards.com/
My favorite reds are Avalon Cab Sav (Napa Valley)
http://www.avalonwinery.com/wines.htm
and Truro Triumph (used to be called Trilogy) http://trurovineyardsofcapecod.com/red_wines.php
I tried this white last week and it is really good. Wattle Creek Sauvignon Blanc http://shop.wattlecreek.com/product.php?productid=62&cat=0&page=1

I don't think any of those are at TJ. I'll be watching this thread. Thanks for starting it!!

bcafe
05-03-2010, 01:38 PM
I am cheap and don't like to pay a lot for wine so TJ's price point is wonderful. For Riesling I like their JW Morris @$3.99. I want to try the organic Green Fin table wine, but alas I need to wait until not pg/nursing. I believe that is also $3.99. I usually don't care for reds as they are too dry for me, but if TJ's carries a sweet red, I may have to try that sometime.

LexyLou
05-03-2010, 01:40 PM
A great inexpensive red is Menage a Trois (it's a red blend, plus the name is fun). Always under $10 and I believe you can get it at TJ's.

For Chardonnay, I like Cupcake. It's around the $11-$13 price point.

We also often buy Smoking Loon, mostly the Pinot Noir but their Merlot is good too.

ETA more wine

Mark West Pinot Noir
Castle Rock Pinot Noir

can you tell we like Pinot? I'm also liking Malbec's lately but don't really have a specific one. I just try the ones in the $10 range.

I also like Louis Jadot, it's a reasonably priced french red that you can get at Cost Plus World Market

wendibird22
05-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Don't have TJs around me, so can't comment there, but here are a few of my favorites that are cheap.

Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc
Bully Hill Seasons (white)
Bully Hill Goat White
Bully Hill Love My Goat (red)
pretty much anything by Yellow Tail

mommylamb
05-03-2010, 01:57 PM
My current favorite TJ wine buy is a Sauvignon Blanc called King Shag. It's only $7.99 and is excellent.

ETA: I don't think you can ever go wrong with a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (if you like that kind of wine. Personally, if I'm drinking white, it has to be either Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio. I hate oakey chardonnay.)

Twoboos
05-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Truro Triumph (used to be called Trilogy) http://trurovineyardsofcapecod.com/red_wines.php

OMG, we get this when we are at the Cape, didn't know you could order online!! We've really liked the Cab Franc.

infomama
05-03-2010, 02:04 PM
OMG, we get this when we are at the Cape, didn't know you could order online!! We've really liked the Cab Franc.
That's the only way I can get it. They send me little deals via email every so often. Isn't is awesome?!

cvanbrunt
05-03-2010, 02:05 PM
How great is the TJs wine corner? I could live there. I'm a red girl but our current everyday favorite is Red Truck. The pinot noir is good and I have a bottle of syrah and organic petite sirah. We like the Smoking Loon Pinot, too. Any bottle of sangiovese has been a winner as well.

PAfirsttimemom
05-03-2010, 02:06 PM
I love trying different wines, but for a reliable everyday pick, we often grab Yellow Tail (Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, Merlot, red blends like Shiraz-Cabernet, and Chardonnay are ones I know we buy). Sometimes, the Reserve varieties are on sale for $10 or so, and then we'll buy those, because we think they are a bit more complex than the non-Reserve ones. But they're all pretty drinkable, IMO.

boolady
05-03-2010, 02:06 PM
My favorite Riesling is Willamette Valley's
http://www.willamettevalleyvineyards.com/

We love the Willamette Valley. Our TJ's doesn't sell alcohol, but we really like Dr. Konstantin Frank chardonnay; Salmon Run Coho Red (a cheap red table wine that's really tasty); Rodney Strong Pinot Noir; Toasted Head chardonnay. I would have to ask DH beyond that...he's really interested in wines and always finds some great, inexpensive selections in Wine Spectator.

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2010, 02:08 PM
I have some Pinot Grigio in a box, Black Box wines. I love being able to just keep it in the fridge and get a glass when I want.

Beth

Twoboos
05-03-2010, 02:14 PM
That's the only way I can get it. They send me little deals via email every so often. Isn't is awesome?!

So good! I've been wanting to do the Vineyard tour while we're there. Last year we did the Falmouth winery instead - mistake, the wine was no where near as good! This year we're doing Truro for sure.

infomama
05-03-2010, 02:22 PM
We love the Willamette Valley.
We got a case of this wine as a wedding gift and it was a great gift for sure!!

elektra
05-03-2010, 02:25 PM
These are some tasty sounding recommendations! I don't think I have ever had wine from a Cape Cod vineyard- I think I'll have to try me some of that!
It's all been California, Australian Shiraz, or European wines for me I believe.
I used to go wine tasting all the time when I lived in Santa Barbara. Miss that!
I like to try new stuff too, but it's nice to get a recommendation vs. just pulling something off the shelf.
Can't wait for my next TJ's trip now. :yay: :54:

almostmom
05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
I drink Cavit Pinot Grigio, usually in the big bottle. Often with an ice cube. I don't know if they have it at TJs, but you can get it at Costco. I love good wine, but this goes down so easily and is so refreshing. No bite, not sweet. Yum. Is it 5:00 yet?

PearlsMom
05-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Last summer we lived on the Barefoot White Zinfandel -- DH is something of a wine snob, but we both decided we loved this wine and to heck with anyone who still finds WZ tacky. We went through many big bottles. I miss it already...Darling Baby, do you know what your mama is giving up for you??

lchang25000
05-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Bella Serra Italian Pinot Grigio!!

TwinFoxes
05-03-2010, 05:07 PM
I think the TJs Reserve wines are a good bang for the buck, especially the Pinot Noir and Cabernet. Better than their regular wines, which are OK. I don't buy the two-buck Chuck since I moved to VA and it's not two bucks! It just bugs me. I guess $3.49 Chuck doesn't have the same ring to it. :)

They have great deals on champagne, especially the Schramsberg.

gatorsmom
05-03-2010, 05:18 PM
I love Riesling. With the exception of red meat, it goes well with just about everything, (imho). A late harvest Riesling goes can go well with some desserts, too. The best ones are made in Alsace, France AND NOT Germany. If you can get your hands on an Alsatian Riesling, you're lucky. again just my humble opinion. :love-retry: But, for everyday, most are pretty good.

gobadgers
05-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I like TJ's Coastal cabernet, especially for $5. We get TJ's Reserve for 'special occasions' (how cheap are we?? :ROTFLMAO:)

I also found a great wine at Costco not long ago - Santa Ema 60/40 blend of cabernet and merlot. It is so good, and under $10 (I want to say $7-8?)

khm
05-03-2010, 05:20 PM
barefoot zin and barefoot cab. haven't tried any of their whites. the bubbly is good.

we were soooooo happy to find barefoot when we came back to the midwest!

TwinFoxes
05-03-2010, 05:28 PM
I like TJ's Coastal cabernet, especially for $5. We get TJ's Reserve for 'special occasions' (how cheap are we?? :ROTFLMAO:)

Actually, this is me too...I was thinking about it, and I really do find myself getting the "reserve" for Saturdays with DH, as opposed to "I just need a glass of wine and a few minutes with BBB!" Sorry guys, it's Coastal Cabernet when I'm with you. ;)

lchang25000
05-03-2010, 06:02 PM
I love Riesling. With the exception of red meat, it goes well with just about everything, (imho). A late harvest Riesling goes can go well with some desserts, too. The best ones are made in Alsace, France AND NOT Germany. If you can get your hands on an Alsatian Riesling, you're lucky. again just my humble opinion. :love-retry: But, for everyday, most are pretty good.

I find a lot of Rieslings are way too sweet...and we've tried many. I guess if you like sweeter wines, Reisling is the one for you.

MelissaTC
05-03-2010, 09:14 PM
We love this Italian table wine from TJs. My Dad, who will only drink Ruffino Gold really likes this cheap stuff! http://traderjoeswine.blogspot.com/2009/08/2007-archero-nero-davola-499.html

elizabethkott
05-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Sigh. It's like torture reading this thread. I don't know why I even opened it.
We love(d) House Wine.
I can't wait to re-introduce myself to it sometime in august. :)

Carrots
05-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Sigh. It's like torture reading this thread. I don't know why I even opened it.
We love(d) House Wine.
I can't wait to re-introduce myself to it sometime in august. :)

:yeahthat:

:rotflmao: I agree with you! My mouth is watering just thinking about a nice glass of red. I don't even care what brand or kind at this point.

:54::54: Here is one for me, and one for you!

Carrots
05-03-2010, 10:36 PM
I am not a big white wine drinker, but last year I fell in love with "Kris" Pino Grigio. It is about $10/$12.

mom2binsd
05-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Ok...sip sip...Gato Negro, it's from Chile, I prefer the Sauvingon Blanc and I'm usually a Chardonnay gal. It's 4.99 a bottle, not sure if TJ's sells it. It's a screw top too which is so convenient! Lately it's been 3 for 12.00 at Meijers!

When we lived in CA we drank a lot of Delicato Chardonnay, it was usually 9.99 on sale at VONS for the BIG bottle.

gatorsmom
05-03-2010, 11:07 PM
I find a lot of Rieslings are way too sweet...and we've tried many. I guess if you like sweeter wines, Reisling is the one for you.

I think it depends on the quality and where it comes from. I don't like the German rieslings because I find them to be too sweet. But there some good California Rieslings and french Rieslings that can be paired with pork and chicken dishes. The Alsatians pair it with a sausage and saurkraut dish (choucroute). However, if you are more of a chardonay lover or red wine lover then even the best Riesling won't win you over. :)

tmahanes
05-03-2010, 11:08 PM
I absolutely love Barefoot Moscato for something cheap... also the Barefoot WZ

The other day at TJs I got the :) label wine (on recommendation from my sis) and the white truck.... haven't tried them yet but I will let you know!

cono0507
05-15-2010, 10:52 PM
A great inexpensive red is Menage a Trois (it's a red blend, plus the name is fun). Always under $10 and I believe you can get it at TJ's.

I saw this today at the store and decided to give it a try, remembering this name from this thread. Love it! Thanks!!!

catroddick
05-15-2010, 11:29 PM
We love Liberty School wines from Paso Robles: http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductList.aspx?N=4294966285

They can frequently be found at Costco. The Syrah is big and yummy. The Chardonnay is the perfect balance of light and crisp with enough sweet to make it yummy, but not syrupy. The Cab is also big, but smooth.

YUM!!

LexyLou
05-15-2010, 11:51 PM
I saw this today at the store and decided to give it a try, remembering this name from this thread. Love it! Thanks!!!

Glad you like it!

infomama
05-20-2010, 07:25 PM
I just finished a bottle of Honey Moon Viognier (at TJ's...bout $7 bottle). Nice white, sweet but not too sweet, crisp but not too crisp. I'll get this again.

tmahanes
05-20-2010, 08:27 PM
And bonus points if you can buy it at Trader Joe's!

They were doing a tasting at TJ's the other day and I wanted a recommendation on one he hadn't tried and he said if I tasted it and didn't like it to put the cork back in and they would take it back!!!!!! Don't know if this is all TJ's or just the one in Richmond but I thought that was really awesome customer service!

emily_gracesmama
05-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Chateau Montfort Vouvray is an amazingly yummy white similar to reisling. Great in Summer!

Andi98989
05-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Relax and Luna are two of my favorites, along with Bower's Harbor Pinot Grigio, but I don't know if you'll find that since it's a Michigan wine.

doberbrat
05-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Dr. Beckermann Auslese Rheinhessen riesling $6ish at TJs. hands down my fave!