PDA

View Full Version : Hummus without sesame?

713abc
05-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Is there any hummus brand that does not use sesame?

Please let me know if you've found one!

Thanks,
Robin

TwoBees
05-03-2010, 01:25 PM
You can make your own. Chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, and a bit of lemon juice.

Piglet
05-03-2010, 01:26 PM

:yeahthat: Hummus is one of the easiest things to make at home.

JBaxter
05-03-2010, 01:30 PM

yup toss it in the food processor

pinkmomagain
05-03-2010, 01:33 PM
It's pretty easy to make hummus without the tahini from scratch. Just throw hickpeas, garlic, salt, olive oil, and lemon juice in the food processor!

eta: Ooops! Sorry, someone beat me to it!

713abc
05-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks for your responses. That does sounds easy. I was hoping there might be some brand that makes it ready made without sesame, for me to recommend to other parents whose children are in the same lunch room as DS2 (3 yrs old). DS2 is allergic to sesame and nuts. They have already limited his lunch room to "no nuts" but didn't realize about hummus being an issue too. I think they are going to tell these parents "no hummus", so if there was a brand I could recommend to them that has no sesame I wanted to do that. Of course I can share the recipe too!

We are a Jewish milk-only school, so parents are "starting to complain" (according to the director of the pre-school) that there is nothing to send if we can't bring meat, nut products, hummus, etc.

I suggested she remind parents about sunflower or soy butter, which they have already suggested to parents in the past.

Thanks,
Robin

chlobo
05-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Trader Joe's makes a tahini free hummus. Comes in 8oz & 16oz containers.

713abc
05-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I wish I had a TJ near me, none yet in Texas!

Tondi G
05-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Bobbi's Hummus

713abc
05-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the tip about Bobbi's Hummus. But my Whole Foods doesn't carry it...not sure where to look next! If you know where it might be sold please post it, thanks!

Robin

ilfaith
05-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Have you checked the different brands of hummus that are sold at your local Whole Foods (or other supermarkets)? I know that our Whole Foods seems to carry several brands of hummus that are locally produced (in Florida). I'm thinking brands might be more regional.

I know how challenging it is to pack lunches for a Kosher/dairy, nut-free environment. My boys' school is the same and I am constantly trying to come up with things they will eat. I can't send bagels with cream cheese every day. My kids were pretty happy with Tofurkey sandwiches and soy or Quorn "chicken" nuggets, but last month a memo came home saying that some people had been sending real meat under the guise of their soy counterparts, so now meat substitutes resembling meat have been prohibited.

HIU8
05-05-2010, 09:49 PM
We are a Jewish (so dairy only) and nut free school as well. I have never heard of a parent complaining that there is nothing to pack their kids for lunch. There is so much out there that can be brought. I feel bad that they are complaining. Do they give out a list of foods to bring like soy products, gefilte fish, pizza, bagel and cream cheese, tuna, hard boiled egg, egg salad, jelly sandwiches, cheese sticks, mini pizza bagels etc...

FWIW, my kids have never had a meat lunch at school (they would not even know what to do with lunchmeat unfortunately).