PDA

View Full Version : CT scan with contrast for myself (Updated info in post 13)

Tinkerbell313
05-03-2010, 01:41 PM
I need to have a CT scan with contrast done on my neck tomorrow. I have had CT scans before...but without contrast. Can you tell me what to expect?

At first I wasn't nervous (and hardly ever get nervous about having a test done) but I went looking on the internet and found one website where everyone seem to have side effects from the contrast. Should I be nervous about the test itself.

Should I have my husband bring me in an anticipation of a side effect? I hardly have reactions from any other tests/exams/surgeries, etc. I have no known allergies. Outside of my thyroid issues (thyroidectomy 10 years ago; hashimoto's) I have never had any health issues.

Thank you.

kristenk
05-03-2010, 02:08 PM
I had a CT scan with contrast a few months ago. Mine was part of an ER visit so I didn't have any time to research and freak myself out, which was probably a good thing!

The tech who did the scan asked a lot about allergies and allergic reactions in the past. He actually asked so much that I was getting a little worried that I had forgotten about some allergy in the past.

They told me that I might experience a warm feeling in my groin like I really needed to pee when they did the contrast. I definitely noticed that, but it was too bad and the feeling passed quickly. I think that my throat/chest felt warm, too, which worried me until the tech told me that it was normal. (I think he probably mentioned that in what to expect before the test, but I'd been awake for close to 24 hours when the scan was done and I wasn't at my best!)

I didn't have any side effects from the dye, as far as I know.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask either here or via PM.

MMEand1
05-03-2010, 02:29 PM
The majority of people that have problems with the contrast are allergic to iodine and even then, some of them are pre-medicated before the exam in order to still be given contrast. Side effects that are most common are feeling warm or flush, feeling like you are wetting your pants, and tasting like you are chewing on aluminum foil. Side effects generally clear up rather quickly and most people have no other problems. I have had a CT with contrast as well as my DS when he was 5. Neither of us had any contra-indications to the exam...

Good luck! I'm sure you will be fine. Usually you freak yourself out more by looking up stuff on the computer - I know I do and I work in the medical field!

JTsMom
05-03-2010, 02:37 PM
I had the peeing sensation too, but other than that, I was totally fine. It really wasn't a big deal at all. Good luck! :hug:

caleymama
05-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I had the peeing sensation too, but other than that, I was totally fine. It really wasn't a big deal at all. Good luck! :hug:

Same here. I've had two CT scans with IV contrast and had the same experience both times. It was quick and over before I had barely registered the feeling.

Indianamom2
05-03-2010, 02:55 PM

:yeahthat:

Strange feeling, but no problems otherwise!

tmarie
05-03-2010, 03:32 PM
It's been a few years, but mine was no problem. I recall a coldness sensation, but it wasn't terribly uncomfortable. It was over before I knew it. GL!

tmarie

kristenk
05-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I forgot about the funky taste. I got a little bit of that.

It all went away quickly.

megs4413
05-03-2010, 04:17 PM
like everyone else mentioned, the side effects aren't terrible and usually go away quickly. i find contrast very irksome, but YMMV. i always feel like i've wet myself (which is just uncomfortable) and i get hot/flushed. i also tend to feel a little jittery, which might be because of the contrast or might be because they've made me lay still and feel icky....IDK.

some people *are* allergic to the contrast, but you'll be in a facility fully equipped to handle any adverse reaction to the contrast. just fwiw, i am allergic to EVERYthing (it seems like) and i am NOT allergic to the contrast.

hugs! good luck on your test!

erosenst
05-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Like everyone else, I had the "I just peed" feeling - but they warned me about it, and it didn't last long. They also told me it never really happens (ie no risk that you actually WILL pee).

I was also cold and jittery. I thought it was because I was stressed from the IV (they have trouble getting them in me - nothing to do with the contrast itself), but found out later it's a relatively common side effect.

Lastly - assume you know they use an IV for the contrast, and preferably a relatively large needle. IF you've had issues with IV's in the past, you might want to insure an anesthesiologist is doing it rather than a nurse. They're usually, but not always, more skilled with difficult sticks. More importantly, in some states 'regular' nurses aren't allowed to use novocaine to help with insertion. This is ONLY an issue if you have bad veins. (Can you tell I do?)

Good luck -

Tinkerbell313
05-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Thank you all for you kind words. I realize there are other tests that could be worse (i.e. the bronoscopy I will be having in a few weeks)...and as I said previously, I normally do not get nervous...not sure why I am this time around.

I am aware that they use an IV to administer the contrast. I usually look away with needles (I get blood work done every six weeks...and I have had my fair share of root canals and cavities). I honestly don't know how big the needles are for anything as I will always shut my eyes immediately.

What's funny...I am not nervous about the results...its the actual test.

Thanks again.

funda62
05-03-2010, 09:50 PM
:hug: Hope it goes well for you.

Tinkerbell313
05-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Thank you...everyone. The test went well...no side effects. They gave me two bottles of water to encourage me to drink lots to flush the dye out of my system.

Now just waiting for the results which I should have tomorrow. I am not expecting much so I am not too worried.

Thank you again.

LMPC
05-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Yay -- so glad to hear that the test went well!!!