PDA

View Full Version : So over shopping for baby stuff- any ideas?

JTsMom
05-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Shopping for baby stuff was much more fun the first time around! I'm down to the last few things- can someone just tell me what to buy?

I still need:
-A crib mattress, and I don't want to spend a fortune on it, b/c if DS2 is anything like DS, he won't sleep on it anyway. :p I figured it might be a good idea to have someplace to lay him down though, just in case. I also have a PnP for downstairs. If there is a crib mattress that is inexpensive, AND not loaded with too many toxic chemicals, that would be a bonus. What about Ikea? Is that an option? Are their crib mattresses at least a little safer, or no?

-Baby monitor. We seem to have lost one piece for our old one. That was another thing I never used with J, but now that we have 2 floors, I figured it might get used. Do I need a video one?

-Something for dirty cloth diapers

-A carrier. I ordered a Moby Wrap, and I'm thinking about a Pikkolo (Grandma offered to buy something). I had zero carrier luck the first time around.

Also, just in case the need arises, which bottles are good for use with a Ameda PY pump? I figure I'll wait to see if I ever need one, but if I do, at least this way I'll know what to send DH out for.

Is there anything I'm forgetting? I saved: lots of clothes, swing, bouncer, crib, bedding, PnP, toys, blankets, burp cloths, tub, mobile and the gymini play mat thing. I have some cloth diapers and wipes too, and a backup pack of disposables, CA Baby wash, and baby towels.

JoyNChrist
05-03-2010, 02:04 PM
I hear ya! I'm so not motivated to shop for these babies...you'd think I'd be really excited, but I just can't get into all the "gear" like I did last time.

FWIW, we're planning to re-use DS's crib mattress (a Sealy one from BRU) for one crib and probably buy another similar one for the other. I'll just let the thing air out well in the garage before bringing it into the house, and tell myself any leftover chemicals don't matter. ;)

I think we're going with the Summer video monitor. We didn't have a video one with DS, but we ended up doing CIO with him and it would have been really nice to be able to see him during all that.

I love a pouch for itty bitty babies (my favorite is a Comfy Joey, but I liked my Hotsling too). Then I had the best luck with the Beco...other friends really like the Ergo, but I liked the safety insert/seat thing for the Beco since I wasn't super confident getting into a back carry on my own.

Can't help much on the cloth dipes and bottles because I haven't figured that stuff out myself. ;)

crl
05-03-2010, 02:11 PM
We got an IKEA crib matress, I havethe vague impression they are better chemical-wise, but I not positive. They do not have waterproof covers on them, fyi. But I like ours and they are dirt cheao. We ended up with (I think) the most expensive at about $68.

I love my ergo. I have borrowed one of the old-style infant inserts from a neighbor and been pleasantly surprised at how well it works for me. I prefer it to my gypsymama wrap and to my hotsling. (Easy for me to get baby in and out; I'm not worried about chin-to-chest positioning and baby's weight is distributed on two shoulders for me.)

Catherine

ourbabygirl
05-03-2010, 02:12 PM
How about a lovey, baby book, & high chair? Any special bedtime (or other) books that you like(d) for DS1 that you'd like to get duplicates of to give to this baby? Maybe one of those frames that has spots for a photo for each month, and then a big one of the year photo?

Oh, and how about the all-important car seat(s) and stroller(s)? :-)

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2010, 02:20 PM
None of those are dire urgent so don't go crazy now if your heart isn't in it. Save doing them for when you are really bored at home with a newborn. :) Lots of Target shopping happened here!

Mattress? We reused so I am not up on them.

Monitor- we have a 2 story house and we can hear ds2 just fine. Hold off till you see if you need one. Layout makes all the difference.

Diaper pail- I had a hand me down

Carrier- I used a Bjorn in the beginning b/c I could never get comfy with my Hotsling. I bought a Beco later but never loved it. I couldn't get the hang of it. Bummer.

Bottles- I pumped into Medela milk storage bottles but then poured it into milk storage bags. I used Playtex Drop Ins.

I learned with ds2 that all they really need in the beginning is diapers, food, clothes and a place to sleep.

GL!!
Beth

newg
05-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Not sure about the chemicals, but we just registered for the basic sealy mattress at BRU....I think it's $98. I'll probably just buy it with a 20% coupon, but figured I'd put it on the registry anyways.

We have a this diaper pail,http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Trend-Diaper-Champ-Pink/dp/B000EX3F6Y/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1272911139&sr=1-32
that I'll just use again. It takes regular garbage bags, but you could probably put a laundry bag in there to keep the cloth diapers in.
I have a Hotsling and a Pikkolo. I'll probably be using both, depending on what we're doing and how big the baby is.
We're getting another Sony baby monitor since we're still using our origional with DD. They have tons of channels, so it's easy to find one that does not interfere with any other signal.
Not sure about your pump.........I have a madela and use madela bottles with it.

JTsMom
05-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys! Keep the advice coming! :)

How about a lovey, baby book, & high chair? Any special bedtime (or other) books that you like(d) for DS1 that you'd like to get duplicates of to give to this baby? Maybe one of those frames that has spots for a photo for each month, and then a big one of the year photo?

Oh, and how about the all-important car seat(s) and stroller(s)? :-)

I kept the high chair, boster, and stroller, and bought a new infant seat, so 4Xcheck. :) The frame is a cute idea. I did try to buy a couple of new things that we didn't really "need", just so this baby would have something of his own. Poor second baby! I scrapbook, so he'll definitely get a baby book. Right after I get done with Jason's. LOL

fortato
05-03-2010, 03:06 PM
I went to BRU last week just to buy the things I KNEW I might need... New Bottles, nipples, Absorbent pads for inside my bra.... I totally didn't have those when I got home last time...and NEEDED them.
I'm getting a lovey from MomNMiaQuilts on Etsy... her taggie blankets are the best!
I have all the big stuff, plus a very dear friend gave me her Moby wrap, and I bought the Ergo when BabySteals had that deal last month.

I feel more prepared now, although I still don't have everything "ready". BUT, if I were to go in tomorrow, I would be better prepared to come home.

arivecchi
05-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Do you have a stroller? That would be high on my list. :)

-A crib mattress: I like my Colgate Classica I mattress which was recommended by the BB book.

http://www.babycatalog.com/cgi-bin/WebStore/indexNZ.cgi

-Baby monitor: Love our Sony monitors.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=sony+baby+monitor&cid=13441525461546636458&ei=DSLfS_PjPJbiwQX7o5S4Dg&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

-A carrier: like our Ergo!

happymom
05-03-2010, 03:23 PM
How about pacifiers?

Another thing that seems silly, but I found to be crucial was a mirror for the car- I have the fisher price rainforest that lights up and plays music(has a remote)....it worked wonders to calm DD in the car when she was a newborn.

We have the Sony monitor and have been happy with it. We also have a video camera set up...not actually a monitor, just something DH rigged. Its not necessary, but its very helpful. You certainly dont have to run and buy one now.

Do you have some basic rattles or mobiles to hang from the carseat etc?

Swaddles?

maylips
05-03-2010, 03:27 PM
-A carrier. I ordered a Moby Wrap, and I'm thinking about a Pikkolo (Grandma offered to buy something). I had zero carrier luck the first time around.

If you don't have a carrier, I'd try the Pikkolo. I didn't have much luck with a carrier the first time around either, but I definitely use one now with #2 because I need both hands for #1 so much more - plus, I'm just moving around more than I did when I only had one. I used a Moby at first (so great purchase, IMO) and now use the Ergo I got for #1 but if I didn't have the Ergo, I would have purchased a Pikkolo just because you can wear the baby facing out and I think DS would like to face outward.

daisymommy
05-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Yes, an IKEA mattress is gong to be your best bet for something that doesn't break the bank, but doesn't have a lot of nasty chemicals.

We really like our Graco Sounds and Lights monitor.

Moby Wrap or Hotsling for a carrier.

As for diaper pail, I have this one (although I *know* I didn't pay that much for it 4 years ago: http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=106

Do you have a cute diaper bag? Comfy clothes for after baby is born that will also make you feel good? Mama necessities? A plan for food (maybe from a dinner kitchen?).

Happy Shopping!

gatorsmom
05-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Well, to JoynChrist, you're in a whole nother ball game, doing the shopping you are right now. Make sure you check some of the older twins threads- they are really helpful.

And Lori, I really, really like the Sony Babycall monitor I got at Target. I see they are still there. We've had ours for 3+ years and it's still a great monitor. I rarely get interference.

Also, I LOVED the Moby Wrap. Very comfortable to use. Easy to wash, and Greenbean loved it.

Got a good stroller? You'll need that too! Maybe something that can accomodate a small child AND a baby.

JTsMom
05-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks everyone- this is so much easier than trying to figure it out myself. Probably more effective too.

Ok, I can run by Ikea tomorrow b/c I'm going to be in that area anyway. One down! :cheerleader1:

Baby monitor- we did have a Sony- that's the one we lost. Ok, have a couple of options there, very cool. I can probably get that anywhere.

The diaper pail thing- aren't I supposed to get some kind of washable liner thing? Do I need 2? I'm guessing yes, b/c what do you do if you need to stash poopie dipes while it's washing? I guess I could also just use a trash bag though.

Thumbs up on the wrap is reassuring. I'll probably go ahead with the Pikkolo. My poor mom keeps asking me what to buy, and I've been so indecisive.

The stroller- we have a P3, and I refuse to buy anything else. I know there are probably more fun options out there, but ours is still in great shape, and I never really felt the need for anything else, so we should be ok there.

My diaper bag is a tad pathetic. LOL I have a Skip Hop from when DS was a baby. It's in surprisingly good shape, all things considered, so I'll probably just re-use that.

Comfy cute clothes? :rotflmao: Yeah, not so much. The food situation is a bit grim as well, so that might be good to think about. Little toys, check.

gatorsmom
05-03-2010, 05:13 PM
My diaper bag is a tad pathetic. LOL I have a Skip Hop from when DS was a baby. It's in surprisingly good shape, all things considered, so I'll probably just re-use that.

In case you decide you need a bigger diaper bag for all your children now :wink2:, I love my JuJube Packabe. It is a workhorse. Ours looks nearly new after almost 3 years. Very easy to care for too. :heartbeat: JuJuBe!

citymama
05-03-2010, 06:35 PM
I am so happy we didn't have to buy much this time - we have most of the essentials, so here's what I did:

--bought some cute baby clothes so DD2 doesn't have to be wearing big sister's clothes in every single baby photo. (As a younger sister myself, I know which pitfalls to avoid!)
--bought a used Kangaroo Korner pouch and an Ergo baby insert. If you don't have an Ergo or Beco, I would highly recommend one - or a BabyHawk Oh Snap carrier. I think structured carriers have come a long way since we had our first babies, and you'll probably like one of these. You could also wait till baby is here before springing for a new carrier.
--an extra-special baby blanket is a nice thing to have. My grandma made DD1 the most incredible blanket which is still DD's most precious blankie. She is too elderly to make one this time, but I want DD2 to have a special blankie too. I haven't bought one yet but would love any suggestions.
--I bought a second-hand Graco Snurgrider frame to snap the car seat into - we didn't have one for DD1 but borrowed one once and vowed to get one for the next baby!
--bought 2 Trofast storage systems for DD2s stuff since she is sharing our room and DD1's closet is pretty much stuffed with her own things!
--considering buying some new swaddling blankets although we have DD's old Carter's flannel swaddlers (really pilled) and someone gave us a set of Anais and Anais muslin wraps, so not sure if we need them.
--would like to get the baby some Zutano cozies (hat, booties, jacket) - they would be perfect for the chilly SF summer!
--BPA-free/wooden teethers - I can't even believe the crappy teethers I let DD1 use. I got the baby a Sophie giraffe and Haba teether during the big Dec sales.

We're reusing the car seat, stroller, our old carriers (we have quite a stash!), gymini, mobile, changing table, diaper pail, bathtub. Borrowed a co-sleeper and sheets for the first 6 months and then will re-use DDs crib. Reusing breast pump of course but will need some replacement parts and non-BPA bottles. The old diaper bags are functional, but just barely. We'll use them until they fall apart and then see what we need.

brittone2
05-03-2010, 07:40 PM
For dirty dipes, if you have floor space go with a cheapo plastic trash can and then I like the wahmies bag I have. I also have two bummis bags that have held up pretty well (have seen better days now...) over the last 6 years of cding around here. I prefer the wahmmies (not sure if I'm spelling it correctly) bag I have. Nice elastic that stretches over the edge. I also have a hanging wetbag now for my laundry room (I use a pail upstairs) and I like that. The seller is smjae on hyenacart...good reviews when I checked around. I have a small one for the diaper bag from smjae too (bought the big+little as a set).

Jacksmommy2b
05-03-2010, 08:43 PM
I
--bought a used Kangaroo Korner pouch and an Ergo baby insert. If you don't have an Ergo or Beco, I would highly recommend one - or a BabyHawk Oh Snap carrier. I think structured carriers have come a long way since we had our first babies, and you'll probably like one of these. You could also wait till baby is here before springing for a new carrier.

The BH Oh Snap! is only for babes 6 months or older!

I've been a bit of a stash churner lately and I second the beco suggestion, I do love the ergo, but I prefer it for J rather than the baby. (my pikkolo is still en route so I can't help you there!)

I loooooved the moby, but if you are in a hot climate area you may want to consider a gypsy mama bali baby stretch. Exact same functionality as the moby, but a much lighter and more breathable fabric. And more durable, S is a moose and is still super comfy in there. (plus the fabric is much prettier!)

citymama
05-03-2010, 09:19 PM
The BH Oh Snap! is only for babes 6 months or older!

Thanks for the clarification! I have the BabyHawk Mei Tai and thought the Oh Snap! was just the same with snaps! Scratch that for the new baby, Lori.

AshleyAnn
05-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Do you have a boppy pillow? What a bought an exersaucer or jumperoo? I couldn't live without those 2 once DD discovered she could see things better when she wasn't laying down. Toys and rattles?

JTsMom
05-04-2010, 07:38 AM
I have a Breast Friend pillow, although I never used that either, and a Jumparoo. Maybe this is why I'm not into the shopping- I bought so may things that I never used last time!

Tondi G
05-04-2010, 11:58 AM
I have a Breast Friend pillow, although I never used that either, and a Jumparoo. Maybe this is why I'm not into the shopping- I bought so may things that I never used last time!

you never know what this baby may like though. My 1st loved his exersaucer... #2 was more interested in being free and trying to follow his big bro. #1 hated the infant to toddler rocker and bouncy seat... #2 loved his fisher price aquarium bouncy seat. They both hated our open top graco swing... wish I had sprung for the FP cradle swing for #2.

we had the Sont Baby Call monitor and were really happy with it. If we decide to have another baby in the future we will get our mattress at Ikea.

catroddick
05-04-2010, 12:49 PM
-Baby monitor: Love our Sony monitors.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=sony+baby+monitor&cid=13441525461546636458&ei=DSLfS_PjPJbiwQX7o5S4Dg&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

arivecchi beat me to it- we have this monitor and have been very, very happy with it. It's affordable and works great.