PDA

View Full Version : Jjb teflon

pepa
05-03-2010, 02:16 PM
I love the JJB messenger bag, it has everything I need, but I am concerned about how safe it is the Teflon, maybe Im just been paranoid

swissair81
05-03-2010, 03:30 PM
there is a thread somewhere about someone else who was concerned about it & a rep from JJB posted about it. i'll see if I can find it. it was a while ago, so i'm not entirely sure i can.

swissair81
05-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Disclaimer: I think the OP of this thread used scare tactics for some personal agenda of hers. I personally have JJB bags & will continue to use them. Happy reading though.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=266842&highlight=jujube

TwoBees
05-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Personally, I think unless you are cooking or eating off of the diaper bag, you will be fine.

pepa
05-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Thank you so much, for the thread!

vahnessuh
05-10-2010, 12:45 PM
I think that woman had some serious chip on her shoulder. She goes all out attacking a company (sorry but if she was merely raising awareness, she should have just presented her side and that's it)... and when the owner of the company defended himself, the tone she was using was bordering on insulting and ridiculing.

I have several JJBs and would continue using them.

swissair81
05-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Personally, I think unless you are cooking or eating off of the diaper bag, you will be fine.

What a waste of a good JJB!

TwoBees
05-12-2010, 02:27 PM
What a waste of a good JJB!

You have to admit, some of the patterns look really appetizing...
:rotflmao:

pepa
05-12-2010, 04:50 PM
JJB has a new leather like bag
http://www.ju-ju-be.com/newsummer10.html

TwoBees
05-13-2010, 09:03 AM
JJB has a new leather like bag
http://www.ju-ju-be.com/newsummer10.html
:47:

Where do I sigh up? Any idea how heavy it is?

swissair81
05-16-2010, 12:35 PM
:47:

Where do I sigh up? Any idea how heavy it is?

I ordered the be fabulous. I can report in when it gets here.

cath_b
05-19-2010, 02:28 AM

This is what I said to DH when I read about the Teflon issue. I completely understand the concern if it is still being used on pots and pans but we're talking about a diaper bag.

I am impartial to back pack diaper bags because I could run off with it in case my DS decides to take off (he is a no-fear sprinter). My Be Right Back can hold A TON without noticing the weight on my back. I love it! I have 5 other diaper bags, I keep going back to my Jujube for its function, durability and oh my gosh, the pockets! Teflon or not, I will keep using my JJB.

aajamu
06-23-2010, 07:10 PM
I personally don't understand why they use Teflon. It may not be toxic unless you eat the bag, but I do have more issues with the production of Teflon...namely that the chemicals used to make Teflon can be found in water, in the ground, in our bloodstreams. And chemicals made to produce Teflon have been linked to cancer (among other things). So basically, the problem for me is the in the production.

I love JJB bags, but just wish they'd stop using Teflon, you know? The bags are washable, and my other non-fabric bags don't seem to stain any more or less than my JJB bags. Just my 2 cents.

swissair81
06-23-2010, 07:17 PM
So don't buy them (or work in their factories). They own their own company, I believe they are allowed to do what they want. They have a big enough following, that I highly doubt they are planning on changing anything. They are more popular than ever.

cath_b
06-24-2010, 05:01 AM
I ordered the be fabulous. I can report in when it gets here.

Has your Be Fabulous arrive yet? :)

aajamu
06-24-2010, 01:31 PM
So don't buy them (or work in their factories). They own their own company, I believe they are allowed to do what they want. They have a big enough following, that I highly doubt they are planning on changing anything. They are more popular than ever.

They do own their own company, but a big bonus of owning your own company is the ability to make your own decisions. Not just about the direction of the company, but about social and environmental responsibility. I like the company a lot actually - they really do respond to customer opinion and feedback, and produce high quality bags. I've owned many. :)

It would be a responsible decision, I think, if they (and all other handbag/diaper bag companies) were to phase out Teflon in their bags. Chemicals (namely, PFOA) used to make Teflon are toxic - toxic to humans, toxic to wildlife, toxic to the environment. Every living creature on the planet carries some level of PFOA in its blood, and PFOA is found at much higher/dangerous concentrations in people living in areas where the chemical is manufactured. PFOA has been classifed as a "pervasive global contaminant." Yes, I know, lots of things are toxic, true. But Teflon to me is just not really necessary, and the harm (toxicity) created during production far outweighs the good (stain resistance...though I've never noticed a huge difference).

That all being said, yes, people can buy what they want. JJB can chose whatever business model and fabrics/treatments they want. But, I disagree that JJB will "never" change their ways - they've responded to customer feedback before, which is what is so great about them.

swissair81
06-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I saw their response to the original rant about teflon. Mr Ju Ju Be himself came on here to defend his use of teflon because it is perfectly safe. If you didn't see it, there is a link on the first page of this thread.

swissair81
06-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Has your Be Fabulous arrive yet? :)

Totally awesome. My dh hates it. He says it looks like an old briefcase. I told him that he's out of his mind.

aajamu
06-24-2010, 06:06 PM
I saw their response to the original rant about teflon. Mr Ju Ju Be himself came on here to defend his use of teflon because it is perfectly safe. If you didn't see it, there is a link on the first page of this thread.

I have read it, both here and in the Pink Room. JJB is basically attesting to the safety of the final, finished consumer product.

Again, my issue is with the production of Teflon, which requires PFOA, a toxic chemical. PFOA **never** degrades in the environment. Never. Not now, not in 500 years. So even if DuPont and other companies stop making it today, it will be around forever, whether it be in earth, water, animals, or our great grandchildren. The sooner production ceases, the better. If companies keep buying Teflon, production will not cease (at least not until 2015, and Dupont is lobbying for an extension). And more PFOA will end up in the environment, forever. Sure, there is less being emitted today (at least in the U.S.) than 10 years ago, but only because of EPA intervention and toxic exposure lawsuits.

And now much of the Teflon production is in China, where there are weaker environmental regulations and enforcement. Significant amounts of PFOA have been found in the drinking water supply near Teflon plants in China, and unusually high amounts of PFOA/C8 have been found in the blood of Chinese DuPont factory workers.

All this environmental & global human health risk just for stain resistance? I just don't think it is necessary and wish companies like JJB would reconsider the use of Teflon in their otherwise awesome products.