PDA

View Full Version : Please pray for Louisiana...

JoyNChrist
05-03-2010, 03:20 PM
...and the other affected/potentially affected areas.

The oil spill is just looking worse and worse. We're not on the coast, but we're not far either (about 30 miles) and I imagine our local economy is going to start feeling the effects. We personally have lots of friends and family who work in the oil and drilling industries, and nobody knows yet how all of this is going to affect their jobs. While DH doesn't work directly in the petroleum industry, he does work in industrial construction and this could affect future work opportunities for him as well.

And that's not even touching all of the environmental effects. The news is just so sad here every day. :( They flashed a volunteer number on our local news last night, so I'm going to call in a little while and see what we can maybe do.

P&PT for the communities and people affected are greatly appreciated!

KpbS
05-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Definitely praying for LA and AL-MS-FL coastal areas. It is so sad to think of all of the people and environmental damage already done (and what is to come) :(

tmarie
05-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Lots of P&PT to all those in the affected communities. It is so sad to think how devastating this could be for so many in the area. :(

tmarie

MamaSnoo
05-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Yes....loads of P & PT for the whole gulf coast area. As someone who has lived in the area (AL panhandle), this is heart-breakingly sad.

mommylamb
05-03-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm reading an article about this now and here's an interesting tidbit-- the company that conducted the cementing of the exploratory well-- the process that fills gaps between the well pipe and the hole drilled into the ocean floor to prevent oil and gas from escaping, a procedure that is often cited as a contributor to well blowouts is... wait for it
Halliburton

Sometimes I feel like there's a Halliburton boogie man, but seriousl, this company seems to be involved in everything that goes wrong!

Kungjo
05-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Tons of P&PT for that area. I grew up there and when I first saw the news, I was so upset. We have friends and family in taht area as well.

gatorsmom
05-03-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm reading an article about this now and here's an interesting tidbit-- the company that conducted the cementing of the exploratory well-- the process that fills gaps between the well pipe and the hole drilled into the ocean floor to prevent oil and gas from escaping, a procedure that is often cited as a contributor to well blowouts is... wait for it
Halliburton

Sometimes I feel like there's a Halliburton boogie man, but seriousl, this company seems to be involved in everything that goes wrong!

DH and his father (my FIL was a Sr VP at two of those companies during his career) worked in that industry for the past 25 years. DH told me he himself worked on that particular rig (a long time ago) and said that it was a stupid error that caused that spill. it actually could have been ANY company or their employee that did that. Drilling is messy job and there are all kinds of errors committed on a daily basis. It's a very dangerous job.

I'm not a fan of Halliburton, I think it was disgusting how Halliburton was awarded the work in Iraq without even getting bids from other companies simply because Cheney was VP at the time, but according to DH it is the largest Oil and Gas company out there and the only one big enough to do the work in Iraq that was needed to be done at the time. Anyway, the error this time was caused by a Halliburton employee but it could have been any of the drilling companies.

Sadly, DH predicts this will also cause gas prices to go up, which our economy doesn't need right now.

ETA: major prayers going to that entire area- the inhabitants- human and otherwise.

sunshine873
05-03-2010, 04:31 PM
I used to live on the Gulf Coast - in the FL panhandle and feel it's one of the truly beautiful areas in our country. My heart breaks for what will most likely happen as that spill infiltrates the area. Ugh - what a tragedy. I will definitely be praying for everyone along the coast.