PDA

View Full Version : I'm not happy with my FP Healthy Care high chair...advice?

happymom
05-03-2010, 04:06 PM
We have had the Fisher Price healthy care high chair (Rainforest) for about a year now. The wheels lock by themselves all.the.time. which makes it very hard to move across my hardwood floor without scratching it. Plus, in order for the tray to stay put, it needs to be pushed on very hard until it clicks. Every so often, its not clicked all the way, and the tray falls down, sending food flying. I am very happy with my other FP purchases, and have found them to have great customer service in the past. 2 questions-

Does anyone else have these problems with their Healthy Care high chair, or is mine somewhat defective?

I'm thinking about calling FP customer service- I'm usually very good at dealing with customer service, but I like to know exactly what i want before calling, KWIM? I'm not sure what to ask of them- a replacement high chair? If its going to have the same problem, I'm not interested. Is there a different FP chair thats better?

Thanks!

tmphilo
05-03-2010, 04:09 PM
We have this highchair as well (almost 2 years). I do find the wheels locking all of the time. DH thought I just kept locking them, but I don't ever lock them. I think it's a combo of DD bumping them and them locking on their own. We don't have the tray locking problem, but the top tray is frustrating because the cup holders aren't large enough for her sippy cups, they just fall out onto the floor. I'm not sure if these are issues with other highchairs or just problematic with this Fisher Price one.

happymom
05-03-2010, 04:37 PM
We have this highchair as well (almost 2 years). I do find the wheels locking all of the time. DH thought I just kept locking them, but I don't ever lock them. I think it's a combo of DD bumping them and them locking on their own. We don't have the tray locking problem, but the top tray is frustrating because the cup holders aren't large enough for her sippy cups, they just fall out onto the floor. I'm not sure if these are issues with other highchairs or just problematic with this Fisher Price one.

Those wheels definitely lock by themselves. SO annoying. We actually never use that top tray, but I could imagine its annoying that the sippy cup doesnt fit!!

sunshine873
05-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Same response I give everyone about high chairs...skip it. Get the cheap ($25) Fisher Price Booster Seat. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Deluxe-Booster/dp/B001GQ2RWQ

Inexpensive, works great, easy to clean and easy to travel with. Will fit on ANY chair. You can even buy additional trays or tray inserts so you can throw them in the dishwasher & just wash once a day.

Maybe call Fisher Price, tell them you're a good customer and would just like them to replace it with one of those. Can't hurt to try. ;)

clc053103
05-03-2010, 04:40 PM
I personally just think it's a crappy high chair. DS had 4 high chairs at various houses and this was one of my least favorite.

But heck, call FP- maybe they can give you a different one! typically they do have pretty good customer service.

lchang25000
05-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Same response I give everyone about high chairs...skip it. Get the cheap ($25) Fisher Price Booster Seat. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Deluxe-Booster/dp/B001GQ2RWQ

Inexpensive, works great, easy to clean and easy to travel with. Will fit on ANY chair. You can even buy additional trays or tray inserts so you can throw them in the dishwasher & just wash once a day.

Maybe call Fisher Price, tell them you're a good customer and would just like them to replace it with one of those. Can't hurt to try. ;)

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

happymom
05-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks all, I'm on the phone with FP right now...on hold actually. I was told they can send me a new tray...agent is finding out what can be done about the wheels because it doesnt seem like they have replacement wheels available...

I'll keep you posted!

TwinFoxes
05-03-2010, 05:22 PM
We had it, but it was the girls locking the wheels, or the dogs running into them (I saw it.)

I do think a booster is fine, except when our girls were small they were too short to eat off of our table even on the highest setting (they were dainty.) Also, I would sit on the couch and feed them both facing me, I wouldn't have been able to feed them both and sit down at the table with them in boosters (twin only problem I guess). I totally agree with the small cup holders, but ours fit. I liked that it had the insert we could just stick in the DW (or hose off :) )

I didn't love those high chairs, but we didn't use them for very long, and we made a great resale on them at our moms of multiples consignment sale. I hope you get it resolved.

ETA: never had an issue with the tray falling off, and I had a 70 boxer regularly putting his paws on it.

PunkyBoo
05-03-2010, 05:27 PM
WE have the Healthy Care chair, too, but ours is about 5 years old. The wheels don't lock by themselves, but Boo likes to sneak under it and lock them. Our tray has occasionally not engaged properly, so I have gotten in the habit of just forcing it and checking it before I let go. None of our sippy cups fit in the cupholders either, which does annoy me, but Boo throws his cup on the floor or at me so often and THAT bothers me more. :irked:

I agree about the portable booster- we have one I think is also FP and it's great because it attaches to the dining seats, has a seatbelt, folds easily to take with us, and has it's own dishwasher-able tray. I'd ask customer service to allow you to switch to that one.

happymom
05-03-2010, 05:39 PM
The FP agent was very sweet and helpful. Knowledgeable too.

So in the end, I am sending them the seat of the chair and the pad, and they will mail me a check for $114- the cost of the chair. I have to pay for shipping the parts to them though.

I actually have one of those high chairs that attaches to a regular chair (I think its Safety First) and I usually use it for guests. I will use it in the meantime after shipping the high chair seat. Not sure if I will buy a replacement chair or not....for some reason, I like having a high chair as opposed to just one of those SpaceSaver thingies...

Thanks for all your help! And a shout-out for FP Customer Service! (Even if their high chair is crappy lol)

stillplayswithbarbies
05-03-2010, 06:14 PM
ours is 7 years old and has the wheel locking problem too. We solved it by putting zip-ties around the wheels so it can never lock. Other than that issue, I have always liked this highchair.

TwinFoxes
05-03-2010, 07:32 PM
The FP agent was very sweet and helpful. Knowledgeable too.

So in the end, I am sending them the seat of the chair and the pad, and they will mail me a check for $114- the cost of the chair. I have to pay for shipping the parts to them though.

I actually have one of those high chairs that attaches to a regular chair (I think its Safety First) and I usually use it for guests. I will use it in the meantime after shipping the high chair seat. Not sure if I will buy a replacement chair or not....for some reason, I like having a high chair as opposed to just one of those SpaceSaver thingies...

Thanks for all your help! And a shout-out for FP Customer Service! (Even if their high chair is crappy lol)

That's great!!!!

sunshine873
05-03-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm totally impressed that they're refunding you the cost of the chair! Yeah, you have to pay shipping, but consider that your rent for the use so far. :) 3 cheers for FP customer service!

DrSally
05-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I had an older version of the chair and didn't have those problems. The spring did come out of the tray, and they sent me a new tray eventhough it was outside of the 1 yr warranty. I was very happy with their CS. Oh, I see they refunded your money! That's great! What are you going to buy instead? Could you go right to a booster?

ETA: I agree with pp's that the FP booster is great.

happymom
05-03-2010, 08:53 PM
That's great!!!!

I'm totally impressed that they're refunding you the cost of the chair! Yeah, you have to pay shipping, but consider that your rent for the use so far. :) 3 cheers for FP customer service!

I know! I'm thrilled!

I had an older version of the chair and didn't have those problems. The spring did come out of the tray, and they sent me a new tray eventhough it was outside of the 1 yr warranty. I was very happy with their CS. Oh, I see they refunded your money! That's great! What are you going to buy instead? Could you go right to a booster?

ETA: I agree with pp's that the FP booster is great.

I was actually going to start another thread about which chair to buy now. I suggested to DH that we just get a space saver chair (we have a hand-me-down one in the house but its not in great shape). He doesnt like that idea too much because he's worried the chair it is on will get ruined when DD throws food overboard etc. Besides, we often wheel her from the dining room to the kitchen and vice versa while she's eating...so we'd prefer something with wheels. Thats why it was so annoying that the wheels on our current high chair didnt work!

Anyways, we are basically looking for a no-frills chair. DD doesnt need much padding now that she's 16 months, and she doesnt need a recline either. We would like a smallish chair (doesnt take up too much room) that wheels around easily and has a decent harness and tray. Thats all. Sturdy and easy to clean. Oh, and in the $100ish price range. Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

DrSally
05-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Hmmm, if you really need wheels, would you be willing to look at another version of the FP highchair. I have a more stripped down version (I didn't want the loud colors and ruffles or need the toys on the tray). I've liked it very much. It may have just been the one you got, since, in general, they get very good reviews.

Dr C
05-03-2010, 09:11 PM
We have the rainforest healthy care and have the wheel locking as well (I blame the dogs) but none of the tray issues. Very cool that you could get a refund!
I'd recommend a Tripp Trapp. You can use it from now till college. Blends in nicely with your usual decor. After about age 2, the kids can get in and out by themselves. We love ours and recently bought a second for DD (though she's still in the healthy care for now, and I curse those darn wheels daily... will have to try the zip tie idea)
ETA no wheels on the Tripp Trapp but nice gliders and it's easy to pick up and move. We carry ours out to the back deck all the time.

happymom
05-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Hmmm, if you really need wheels, would you be willing to look at another version of the FP highchair. I have a more stripped down version (I didn't want the loud colors and ruffles or need the toys on the tray). I've liked it very much. It may have just been the one you got, since, in general, they get very good reviews.

Yes, I would buy a different FP high chair. Which one do you have?

We have the rainforest healthy care and have the wheel locking as well (I blame the dogs) but none of the tray issues. Very cool that you could get a refund!
I'd recommend a Tripp Trapp. You can use it from now till college. Blends in nicely with your usual decor. After about age 2, the kids can get in and out by themselves. We love ours and recently bought a second for DD (though she's still in the healthy care for now, and I curse those darn wheels daily... will have to try the zip tie idea)
ETA no wheels on the Tripp Trapp but nice gliders and it's easy to pick up and move. We carry ours out to the back deck all the time.

The Tripp Trapp is out of my price range, but I was actually just looking at the Kettler Tipp Topp which is on sale on Albee for $109. I did some searches on here and people seem very happy with them. But truthfully, I'd like something with a plastic tray that I can throw in the dishwasher. Besides, all those openings in the seat make me nervous. Thanks for your suggestions!

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2010, 09:37 PM
FP cs is top notch. I have had nothing but good, helpful dealings with them.

GL on your new purchase!

Beth

AshleyAnn
05-03-2010, 10:03 PM
I have it too and I'm not too fond of it.

I bought mine on CL and discovered after I brought it home it didn't have a safety harness and FP has been backordered for forever so I currently just use the bumbo but DD is outgrowing it f-a-s-t.

I'm guilty of just dragging it when the wheels are locked since we don't really care about the current flooring.

ShanaMama
05-03-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm so suprised that you had so much trouble with the chair. I think I recommended Hopi get it. :bag: IIRC the BBB book says something about the wheels. Mine are always locking too. I've never had a problem with my tray. I seriously recommend this high chair to everyone.
Good for the refund, though! Great CS right there. Not sure what you shoud get next...

DrSally
05-03-2010, 10:08 PM
I got mine about 5 years ago and eventhen, it was off Amazon, and I hadn't seen it in the stores. I think it was about $80, just a plain blue checked seat cover, no ruffles and a plain tray (with insert). I tried to google it, but it didn't come up. They change their designs so often. I wonder if various stores would have different versions. I do like the FP high chair design overall (not a lot of crevices to get food stuck into, like some more expensive chairs).

conniez
05-04-2010, 05:03 AM
I have this chair also & ITA about the wheels locking all the time (my fault though - small apartment & I keep kicking the locks closed). One word of caution: when I used the top snap-on tray (w/the sippy cup holders), my daughter got her fingers stuck in the front of it. I didn't even know what had happened because she liked to reach all the way to the front of the tray while she was sitting in the high chair & lift it up with the tips of her fingers. She was whining and I thought it was due to the food, and then I realized she got the tips of her fingers pinched. I called FP & told them to pass the info. to their designers so that no other babies get hurt like this. I felt so bad! Poor thing :(

Melaine
05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
I would probably tell them of your disappointment and hope for a replacement. Then sell the replacement on CL and buy a Tripp Trapp.