PDA

View Full Version : The nicest thing happened yesterday!

vejemom
05-03-2010, 05:18 PM
I feel like the angels were smiling down upon us. I have some serious pay-it-forward to do...

Sunday morning started with a frantic phone call from the woman who is farm sitting for me while I'm recovering from my surgery. Our sweet barn cat Batman was lying motionless and crying in pain on the feed room floor. DH stayed with the girls while I dragged myself down there (first time I drove since the surgery). My stomach sank when I went into the barn. Poor batman was completely limp, and screamed in pain the whole way to the vet.

When I arrived with him, they triaged him immediately, and he was diagnosed with a severe UTI blockage. The estimate for his care was in the thousands. We just don't have that kind of money. We'd just had the expenses associated with my surgery, DSD in private school, DH's ex wife's alimony... Blockages are a medical emergency, I couldn't let him linger in pain, so I made the sad decision to euthanize sweet Batman. I told the vet that I would be happy to sign him over if someone on staff could keep him.

The vet said she would call a friend at a cat rescue and see if she could get hold of her. Ten minutes later, she came back with news that made me burst into tears. The rescue couldn't take him because they'd found it difficult to rehome barn cats in the past. But if we were willing to take him back and feed him urinary track health prescription food for the rest of his life, they would pay for his medical care. Including the new UTI bypass surgery they can do to prevent a blockage from ever occurring again. :love-retry:

I called DH to tell him the unbelievable news before heading home. I feel so blessed. I was been achy and cranky and depressed that healing from my surgery was taking longer than I had planned, but I forgot about all of it on my way home. I don't think I can ever thank this group and the vet enough for saving our sweet kitty!

catroddick
05-03-2010, 05:22 PM
That is so amazing, incredible, wonderful, fabulous!!! :heartbeat:

hillview
05-03-2010, 05:23 PM
WOW that is great news!! HURRAY :) :) :)
/hillary

TwinFoxes
05-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Oh, that's wonderful! Rescue organizations get a bad rap sometimes, but they really do care about our furry buddies.

elektra
05-03-2010, 05:29 PM
That's great news. Go Batman!

s7714
05-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Wow, that was really nice of them! I hope your kitty recovers quickly and easily!

One of our cats had a urinary blockage, and it cost nearly $4000 by the time we paid for the surgery, hospitalization (he stayed several days after surgery), etc.! We now have to buy the special food every month for him as well. Sometimes I wonder just how much vets inflate their prices for things like that...

smiles33
05-03-2010, 06:31 PM
OP: What a wonderful rescue group! I'm so glad they are able to help save Batman.

Sometimes I wonder just how much vets inflate their prices for things like that...

I really don't think they inflate it unreasonably, as you have to allow for overhead costs, too, not just the cost of buying an x-ray machine or other special equipment. We spent over $1000 just on tests for our dog due to constant vomiting. Surgery would have been several thousand more.

I really admire vets for the incredibly difficult job they have. Imagine trying to treat a patient who can't talk!

infomama
05-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Lots of good people in this world. I always feel so blessed when Good Samaritans cross my path. Hope your kitty is on the road to recovery.

boogiemomz
05-03-2010, 06:39 PM
my guy had this same surgery after two blockages. it's so awful to go through... hugs to you and batman! and thank goodness for caring people who came through for you! such a great story... :bighand:

JoyNChrist
05-03-2010, 06:51 PM
What a wonderful, heartwarming story!

Tondi G
05-03-2010, 06:55 PM
WOW! Thats incredible! I am so happy for you guys and for Batman! Put a smile on my face! YAY for the rescue organization for stepping in and being able to foot the bill!

elizabethkott
05-03-2010, 07:07 PM
What a wonderful vet you've got!!!! Three cheers for Batman!!!

sunshine873
05-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Well that's a feel-good story! I love that you made the difficult, yet right decision for your family and someone saw that and in a way rewarded you for it. :) Hip hip horray! Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for Batman (and for you!)

ewpmsw
05-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Such a sweet story! So happy for your family and your kitty. Hope he has a full recovery.

brittone2
05-03-2010, 07:48 PM
It wasn't Batman's time! What a wonderful thing that group did :)

JTsMom
05-03-2010, 07:56 PM
What an amazing story! :heartbeat:

MommyofAmaya
05-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Super Awesome!!:bighand:

elephantmeg
05-03-2010, 08:09 PM
aww that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!

DietCokeLover
05-03-2010, 08:17 PM
That's wonderful!!!

JustMe
05-03-2010, 08:22 PM
That is so wonderful. Made me cry. Keep on keeping on to Batman and the animal rescue organization!

KrisM
05-03-2010, 08:36 PM
What a wonderful group of people!

vejemom
05-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Aw, shucks! I'll convey the good wishes to him. He really is the nicest cat. I got him from a poultry/cattle farmer because he is possibly the worst mouser ever. He managed to accidentally drown a mouse once, but that is the extent of his abilities to my knowledge :rotflmao: we keep him around for his personality.

He apparently came through everything and is ready to come home. I'd hoped to get him tonight, but I'm still moving slower than usual and couldn't get things ready in time. I'll get a nice cozy spot ready for him for tomorrow morning.

MamaMolly
05-03-2010, 09:49 PM
So sweet! Blessings to kind hearted people everywhere!