PDA

View Full Version : air travel with 4 month old - need advice (UPDATE post #27)

♥ms.pacman♥
05-03-2010, 05:47 PM
in a couple days, DH & I and our 4 month-old DS wil be going on a 3-hr flight. DS is usually pretty calm so really my main concern right now with the logistics (security check, carrying & checking in of items) etc while taking a long DS & all our stuff. my DH & I are both pretty experienced flyers, but this will be our first time doing so with a baby (and with a car seat, stroller, and all the million other pieces of gear we have to take along :) )

anyway, i guess the the issue is there will be a LOT of stuff to take with us. in addition to our luggage a diaper bag, we plan on bringing an infant seat (Graco Snugride 22), car seat base, Graco Snugrider, BabyBjorn Travel Crib, and BJCM. ack! i don't even know where to begin. i guess here are my questions

1) is wearing baby (e.g. in a wrap) the best way to go in airports?? DS doesn't love being held (weird, yes i know) but i guess we could swing it... i have a sleepywrap. someone told me that these types of wraps (Moby, etc) you can go straight thru security without having to take baby out. is that true? DH doesn't believe it cuz he says you have to take off your sweatshirt/jacket etc, so why would this be different. but if it is, i guess that would make things a bit easier.

2) DH wants to check in the carseat, BJCM etc right away (when we check our luggage in). i was thinking to wait until we got to the gate to check those items in, since i know with AA u can check your carseat and strollers at the gate. also my concern is re: the horror stories i keep hearing about how the airline damaged a carseat or a stroller...so i thought it might be safer to check thoe in at gate. but DH says it will be too hard to carry all those things thru the airport & security etc. thoughts? suggestions? i do have the travel carrying case for the BJCM, but DH says it would be still be too hard to carry it thru the airport..

any suggestions/advice welcomed! so funny that i'm not in the least concerned with dealing with DS/nursing etc, but mainly how we're going to deal with the loads of stuff we will be carrying!

trales
05-03-2010, 05:49 PM
I have never been asked to take out the baby in a wrap. Don't bring the car seat base. Install with the seatbelt to the seat. Use the stroller to transport all your gear through the airport. Check the crib.

Octobermommy
05-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Don't bring the car seat base. Install with the seatbelt to the seat. Use the stroller to ansport all your gear through the airport. Check the crib.

:yeahthat:

do you really need the crib? Can you use the hotels, rent one etc?

♥ms.pacman♥
05-03-2010, 06:09 PM
I have never been asked to take out the baby in a wrap. Don't bring the car seat base. Install with the seatbelt to the seat. Use the stroller to transport all your gear through the airport. Check the crib.

thanks. about not bringing the car seat base, i had already suggested this to DH since it would be one thing less to carry. but he is being pretty stubborn about it, because he thinks it will be a lot less safer without the base. we will only be gone for 5 days but still. ugh.

and as for the stroller, u can't really load a ton of stuff on BJCM...maybe it could carry one small bag but that's it. DH also thinks it will be pain to take a stroller thru security and put it thru the xray machine etc..he claim's he's never seen anyone do it (but i figure they must, since i've seen ppl check in strollers at the gate).

:yeahthat:

do you really need the crib? Can you use the hotels, rent one etc?

yeah, id' like to have the crib on our trip. but that one's not so much an issue as i'll definitely check that right away with all the luggage. it's pretty light anyway. i guess my bigger concerns are the stroller & the carseat(&base), since they are bulkier/heavier items that aren't easy to carry, and i'm concerned about checking them in right away

Seitvonzu
05-03-2010, 06:09 PM
i travelled with lucy alot when she was little and still in her snugride-- i DID always take the carseat base, as it's just so easty to take really young infants in and out of the car that way. i checked that and took the stroller/carseat (travel system when she was little) with me to the gate. i think checking the base at the gate would be pushing it...you don't need that to use the carseat on the airplane (i'm pretty sure you CANNOT use bases on the airplane?)

as for the babywearing-- i've had the opposite experience as previous poster using my moby. my child wasn't that into being held (another weirdo baby ;) -- but i thought the moby would make my life so much easier on the plane that i practiced and decided it would be worth taking the first time i flew. it was super early in the morning, but i had my 3 month old nice and secure in the moby and they ABSOLUTELY made me take her out to go through the security. this was BWI in baltimore about 2 years ago. i'd say not to use the carrier if your baby isn't used to it or doesn't like it. it was VERY stressful for me to have to take her out, get her back in , etc. when it wasn't part of our everyday schema.

that said, it MIGHT have been better if dh was with me-- and i DID like "wearing" lucy onto the plane because i had both hands/arms free to get us situated.

good luck! do try to reduce what you are taking if you can, but if you can't-- you'll survive. you have two adults. you might forget your own stuff- but you'll do great! infants are awesome travellers in my experience (even with my weirdo baby)-- it's toddlers that are tricky!

Katigre
05-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Definitely babywear through the airport - that is what we always do and it frees up your hands. They might or might not ask you to take the baby out, seems to depend on the security guard.

Agreeing with the others not to bring the base and just the seat. Stick it in the stroller along with other carry-ons. We just traveled to Mexico and had a compact stroller piled with two carseats, DD on my back in a carrier, and DS wearing his carry-on on his back.

The white noise of the airplane tends to put little ones to sleep which helps.

Seitvonzu
05-03-2010, 06:13 PM
if you can't get your stroller through the scanner they will handcheck it. you can also request to have the stroller handchecked. i do this when i don't want to bother folding/etc. while dealing with my toddler. they might look at you funny, but i just act like i don't notice their annoyance and say with confidence "i was told i could do this by the airline" or something like that. (or "i read this on the TSA website" or something-- they CAN do this, so it's not an outright lie)

trales
05-03-2010, 06:18 PM
The carseat is just as safe without the base.

As for the stroller, you would be amazed what you can pile on those things. My tiny little zooper umbrella stroller can fit: computer with bag, carry on bag, diaper bag, carseat, lunch, coats etc.

Dd is three, but we fly about once per month, carseats, strollers, they all fit through the xray.

If you smile and pinch the baby so she cries, you can get them to do almost anything at TSA. :cheerleader1:Handcheck stroller, babywear, set up stroller for you. It depends on the TSA dude and how loud your baby howls.

GaPeach_in_Ca
05-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Why are you bringing 2 strollers? You are, right? Snugrider and BJCM? Seems like a little much for 5 days.

I go by less is more for travel. :)

I check my carseats in at the front if I'm not using them on the plane. Worth it to me not to haul them through the airport. It's possibly not as safe for the carseat (although it's not like they treat gate check in with kid gloves, either), but I found it worked for us. So, if I were you... I would pick one stroller to use.

If I was using snugrider, I would gatecheck snugrider & snugride at gate. Everything else check in at front. If your kid doesn't like a carrier, I wouldn't use one. Go to security, take off everything (shoes, jackets), put carryons in bins. You hold baby, DH stick carseat on belt and fold up stroller and put on belt. He's in charge of putting in back together on other side. Same thing when you get on plane. DH in charge of folding/leaving these items at plane door.

If you are travelling together, it will be piece of cake. It's not that bad travelling by yourself with one kid, either.

Anyways, have fun, don't stress about it too much! Ha! Easier said than done. :)

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Not only have I always had to take the kids out of their carrier but I had to take the carrier off and put it through the x-ray. Still worth it, imo!!

I completely agree that you are taking too much though and should pare things down some. You can get by with a lot less gear (like only 1 stroller and no crib, if there is an option of a crib where you are going). But, maybe you need the experience of taking too much to learn what your family actually needs.

Beth

♥ms.pacman♥
05-03-2010, 07:01 PM
thx everyone for the replies.

initially i thot of bringing 2 strollers only because i figured since we have to bring the carseat anyway, might as well bring the snugrider base and push DS in that along to the gate (esp since a lot of times he does't like to be carried). though if we decide to check the carseat up front, then there is no reason to bring snugrider and i will just bring BJCM. actually that will be a lot easier, so i might do that....

that brings the question though, what do you put the carseat (and base) in when you check it in up front? will a plastic bag suffice?

trales
05-03-2010, 07:02 PM
A hefty bag. Works great. Label with tape.

becca_g
05-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I have flown 3 times with DS (who is almost 6 mo.) in the past 4 months, twice with DH and once alone.

We used the hotel portable crib the one time we weren't staying with family. If you're sure you want to bring the travel crib, I'd agree with checking that right away.

I would definitely try to limit to 1 stroller. We always gate check our stroller (a Snap 'n Go that we bought specifically for travel) and either gate check or carry on the car seat depending on availability of an extra seat on the plane. Be sure to ask at the ticket counter and then again at the gate about an extra seat next to you ... it's nice to have the option to put your DC in it for at least part of the flight.

Personally, I think it makes it so much easier to get around the airport with DS in his car seat/stroller than if I were wearing him and carrying a diaper bag, my purse, etc. The car seat cover and stroller cover go in the stroller basket, and the diaper bag, etc. hang from the handle until I get to the end of the jetway. Then I pack everything up just before stepping onto the plane. For those who are more experienced babywearers than I am, wearing their DC through the airport (or at least through security) rather than using a stroller may make more sense.

I'm extremely picky about things getting scratched/damaged, so I insist on covers for both the car seat and stroller and would definitely only gate check those items. If you're more like DH who doesn't mind a little dirt and/or minor damage, you could skip the covers to save yourself the hassle at security or go ahead and check car seat and stroller at the ticket counter.

We brought the car seat base once since we were going to be in-and-out of a car frequently once we got to our destination. We put it in the car seat bag and gate checked it so we wouldn't be charged for an extra bag at the ticket counter. In retrospect, we wished we had brought a small bungee cord to strap it to one of our rolling carry ons as we were walking through the airport.

Good luck!

cono0507
05-03-2010, 07:17 PM
I've had trips when the let me keep baby in a sling through security and times when I've had to take her out. But definitely a great idea to wear baby at the airport, IMO.

We travelled when DD was 4 mo old and checked the carseat and base with baggage and checked the stroller at the gate since we find it handy to have the stroller in the airport to hold our bags, etc, if baby isn't in the stroller.

We always used the crib available at our destination and never brought one along. I often did call ahead to find out what kind of crib they had and often brought by own crib sheets.

GOod luck! :)

TwinFoxes
05-03-2010, 07:28 PM
I traveled with both girls when we moved from LA-DC. I've always been a light packer, so your list seems quite long to me. If your DHs concern is that the car seat is less safe without the base, he shouldn't be, they're just as safe, the base is a convenience. Two strollers is a lot for five days. If I were you, I'd leave the BJCM behind. You'll be able to use the snugride to transport more of your stuff through the airport. You also won't be as bummed if it gets messed up after you check it.

If you must take the travel crib, you might consider shipping it to your hotel/wherever so it's one less thing to schlep. You could be looking at massive excess baggage fees (depending on the airline).

Good luck! And don't be afraid to hire a skycap to help, it sounds like you'll need it!

WatchingThemGrow
05-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Traveling with a baby that age will be the easiest traveling ever up until they get closer to 3.5-4. Enjoy it!

We fly a few times/year (usually 2hrs or less) and we always check our carseats as luggage in the JL Childress Ultimate bags. We take our strollers through security (Maclaren is the only one we have that can go through the machine easily), then bag them at the gate. We don't bag the Mac, but everything else we do. I wear the baby in the Ergo and wear a backpack as a diaper bag. DH will have one rolling carryon with extra supplies, clothes, etc. Depending on where we're going, we may or may not take our own PnP. We do end up taking some baby sleeping gear usually since we need 3, but we've learned to call ahead to investigate sleeping gear ahead of time. Flying is one of the only times we get to just sit back and relax. I try to make it as stress-free as possible.

mmsmom
05-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Whether or not you would have to take baby out of the wrap just depends on the security person. I've traveled with a child in a Bjorn/Ergo probably 15 times and had to take them out maybe 5 of those times.

If you do not plan on using your carseat on the plane then definitely check it (and the base) with your bags. Get a car seat bag from BRU or One Step Ahead. With a car seat bag you can put other stuff in with the car seat & not have to pay for it as luggage. The car seat is just as safe installed with a seat belt, but if you pack both in the bag it's really not a big deal to take it too.

I would check your luggage, car seat & base in bag, travel crib curbside. Then you would just have baby, stroller and diaper bag to get through security which will be very easy especially with DH with you. It's no problem to fold stroller & put it through x-ray. Most airports now have security lines for families so you don't have the business travelers getting anxious about it taking you longer. Gate check your stroller. It's better to have stroller with you in airport in case there is a delay. Then you will have somewhere to lay baby down if needed.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-03-2010, 09:59 PM
thanks everyone for the replies! i'm finding it all so helpful!! :) very good points, everyone.

so after discussing it with DH, i think our plan is to bring the travel crib, the carseat (without the base) and the BJCM. we had bought a 2nd carseat base from BRU a few months ago (just so we wouldn't have to uninstall the base out of our car when we traveled) but we will probably just return it now.. it's not worth $40 for one-time use (as it turns out DS is outgrowing his infant seat, and as soon as we get back from this trip we will be buying him a convertible seat).

and about excess baggage fees, luckily we don't have to worry about that since my DH has platinum status or whatever it's called so we get 2 bags per person to check in for free. also i checked and strollers, etc are free to gate check.

and about not bringing the BJCM, one of the reasons i want to bring it instead of the Snugrider is because we will be going to a wedding and i did not want to have DS sit in a carseat for 6+ hrs, especially since he is almost about to outgrow it. at least in the BJCM there is more room and it is a lot more breathable etc and it can almost fully recline, so it seems like my DS would be more comfortable in it. also, since we have the BJCM when we go out somewhere we can always just leave the carseat in the car instead of having to take it out and keep reinstalling it (like we would have to do if we only had the snugrider)

i will check into the various carseat travel bags. but i may just use a Hefty bag for now since this will be our last time traveling with the infant seat (at least until we have our next baby :))

mom2binsd
05-03-2010, 10:34 PM
I've flown by myself with two connections, when DD was 4 months. With two adults it's not a big deal. Really taking the baby out of the infant seat, and running it and the stroller through security was not THAT BIG OF A DEAL.

Here's what I'd do-

Put DC in infant seat on stroller, take right to the gate, and gate check. If you have a seat for DC then install infant seat on plane. If you haven't purchased a seat, then ask at the gate if there is an extra seat and you'll be able to bring the infant seat on and install- which is very easy.

My children were not comfy being "worn" so unless it's something you do all the time I wouldn't count on it being helpful. If you've got your infant seat I'd just use that, plus you've got two adults so one of you can always hold the baby.

Pack the base and use it at destination. I did find it soooo much easier to have my base installed and just pop the seat in and out, but I know others don't feel that the base is a must.

tylersmama
05-04-2010, 01:09 AM
I have to strongly disagree with everyone who says to check the carseat as baggage. I know people do it all the time, but I've heard far too many horror stories about damaged and lost seats that were checked as baggage. Sure, the seat can get damaged by gatechecking as well, but in my experience, it's far less likely. And since I'm doing the majority of the work of bringing the seat all the way up to the plane, it's going to be a lot harder for them to lose it. Trust me, you do not want to deal with getting to your destination and waiting for the seat to come out with the other bags and it not appearing. Now you're tired after a long trip and stuck at the airport with no carseat...or a "loaner" carseat from the airline, the thought of which terrifies me. Also, taking the seat to the gate with you allows you to ask the gate agent nicely if there are any open seats, and if so, they will almost always allow you to take the seat onboard and use it during the flight.

Also, my .02 on babywearing...up until DS was around 3.5, I wore him for every flight (at least 3-4 round trips per year) and never had to remove him from the carrier. I was questioned once or twice, but as soon as I confirmed that there was no metal in the carrier, it was all fine. Only once did a TSA agent question it any further, and he just asked his supervisor (who was like...duh, why wouldn't it be ok? :p).

frugal mom
05-04-2010, 02:04 AM
We took my DD across the country when she was 4 months (also on AA). It's a great age to travel with a baby, especially if you are still breastfeeding! Here's what we did: brought our stroller into the airport and checked it at the gate. It is great to have the baby and extra stuff in the stroller. You do have to take the baby out going through security, and carry him through the metal detector, but that wasn't a problem. (We have Graco Metrolite which we bought just before the trip because it's light and cheap, so we wouldn't be concerned if it got damaged. As it turns out we love this stroller and never upgraded.) We gate checked the stroller and the carseat with no problems or damage at all. The carseat was in a travel bag, stroller was not. We used hotel cribs with our own sheets, so those were the only big pieces of equipment we brought. Less is more. I have to say that NY was the best airport-- as soon as they saw us coming the waved us over to a priority line and got us right through screening.
One thing that worked really well on the plane is that I got a travel version of "my breast friend" nursing pillow-- it inflates but still has a cotton cover. I wore that for the flight and she slept most of the time with the nursing pillow carrying most of her weight, rather than the crook of your arm. I also used a nuring cover and that blocked extra light and distractions, helping her sleep. I tried to nurse at takeoff and landing to avoid ear problems, but she was sleeping most of the time and no problems if she didn't nurse. Bring extra clothes for him on the plane, of course, in case of a blowout!
Good luck. This is really the best age to travel with him!

vonfirmath
05-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Personally, I'd prefer to take the Graco Snugrider on the airplane rather than the BJCM. The airplane DOES damage strollers that are gate checked and I'd rather a limited use stroller like the Snugrider be damaged than my BJCM. (and the BJCM does not stay folded by itself well, so if you are taking it, I'd have a bag for it)

At the wedding -- can you take a blanket to spread on the floor for him to play on so he won't always be in the stroller? Or pick him up and carry him?

♥ms.pacman♥
05-04-2010, 12:56 PM
thx again everyone for the response.

as for the carseat, DH says he'd rather not check in up front because he thinks it will get damaged and/or lost in just a trash bag. also like a PP just mentioned, the probability that it will get lost is likely higher if checked in (instead of gate checked) and not having the carseat upon arriving at the destination airport would be a royal PITA to deal with.

sooo, upon reading great reviews online i just ran out and bought a JL Childress carseat bag (the kind u wear on your back). DH will wear it thru the airport and we'll gate check that. we will push DS in the BJCM. also the great thing about the carseat bag is that it's big enough to put other things in it like diaper bag etc.

and about the wedding, this will be a 300-person wedding so i don't think having a blanket on the floor would be doable (lots of people walking around etc).plus DS doesn't like to be flat on his back either. the only thing he would really be comfortable in is his Nap Nanny (he *loves* that thing) and the closest thing to that would be the BJCM (since it can recline and it has the straps etc)

and i do have the travel bag for the BJCM (the one from Baby Jogger) and it has compartments for all the wheels (you take them off when placed in the bag) so i think that will lessen the likelihood that it will get damaged esp the fact that i will gate check it

oh and i do have the inflatable Brest Friend pillow, along with a small pump, i will definitely bring that. good point about using it throughout the flight for baby to rest on.

connor_mommy
05-04-2010, 01:06 PM
I've always worn both kiddies, they're 4 and 6 now, but I've never had to take them out of the Bjorn or Beco. In fact, they stopped me once from taking the baby out. Ever since then, I just ask if I need to, in case they wanted me to.

marge234
05-04-2010, 04:40 PM
and about not bringing the BJCM, one of the reasons i want to bring it instead of the Snugrider is because we will be going to a wedding and i did not want to have DS sit in a carseat for 6+ hrs, especially since he is almost about to outgrow it. at least in the BJCM there is more room and it is a lot more breathable etc and it can almost fully recline, so it seems like my DS would be more comfortable in it. also, since we have the BJCM when we go out somewhere we can always just leave the carseat in the car instead of having to take it out and keep reinstalling it (like we would have to do if we only had the snugrider)

))

I agree with your thinking. I just went on a vacation where I had to reinstall the carseat multiple times. It is stressful. My DH wasn't with me but I still think you'll prefer to get it installed properly and just check it each time rather than reinstall.

If your flight's not full will your airline let you take a seat & use your carseat on the plane? That's another reason to wait and gate check. If you get friendly gate agents they might hook you up. Not all gate agents know this but the car seat has to be in the window seat of the plane. (I learned this the hard way when the flight attendant spotted DS in a middle seat and it caused a whole rearrangement ruckus delaying take off.)

It sounds like you're well prepared, I'm sure you'll do fine.

One other thing--the car seat usually has to go on the conveyor upside down so make sure there are no stray toys, blankets, paci's in there.

3blackcats
05-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Yes, wear your baby! Makes it so much easier. I have never had to take DD off. We have been through security about 10 different times now. Even detroit after last Christmas' scare. Once they patted the straps on my back and slid their hand between me and DD on my stomach. Didn't bother me a bit. Way easier then taking her off.

We always gate check our BJCM, I am not risking it getting destroyed. It does fit through the xray machine. Pop the wheels off the back, set them on top and send it through. We have done this about 10 times now.

If you formula feed, just bring the powder and clean bottles. Buy the water once you get through security. I once took the premade stuff you buy in the 8oz bottles. They opened one of them. So much easier just to buy water and make it on the plane.

The key of getting through security is being organized.
-You wear DS and send the diaper bag through. Remember the liquids rule
-Have DH fold the stroller and take the wheels off and send it through
-Wear slip on shoes! Don't even worry about putting shoes on DS, they will make you take those off too.
-Don't wear a sweatshirt or jacket
-Be super early this will so cut down on your stress :)

Have a great trip!

♥ms.pacman♥
05-06-2010, 12:27 PM
first of thanks everyone for the replies, i'm so glad i posted here as i think i got some great advice!!

anyway, our flight yesterday went very well. after parking our car in the airport lot, i put DS in my Sleepywrap and carried him like that on the tram to the airport. that was MUCH easier than carrying him in his carseat or just carrying him in my arms. Even though i rarely wear DS he seemed to do very well in it, and it was soo much easier to handle everything. Like others said, having your handsfree when having to hand over your ID to check in, get off/on a tram, get on an escalator etc is nice. I did not have to take him off thru security, which was great.

another thing that was great about wearing him is that we were able to keep the BJCM (wheels taken off etc) in the travel bag until after we got thru security. having it in the travel bag helped too because we didn't have to deal with collapsing it when getting on the tram or when we had to go up an escalator to the ticket counter, or when going thru xray scanner in security. after passing thru security we just quickly popped the wheels back on and wheeled DS around in that while we got to our gate. as others said it was nice having a stroller (since we were there for abt 1.5 hrs) that we use to carry stuff like diaper bag, nursing pillow etc. then right before boarding we took the wheels off put it back in the travel bag and gate checked it. it made it to our destination ok, the bag was a teensy bit ripped where the axle kinda pokes out of the wheels but the stroller itself was ok.

oh and as i mentioned earlier we got the JL Childress carseat carrier (backpack) to carry the carseat plus other stuff (diapers, etc). we ended up checking it in upfront since the backpack is *ridiculously* huge and DH didn't want to be lugging that around thru security and around the airport. however it was great to have the backpack for when we got off the tram and had to go to ticketing (needed to take escalator, so we had to carry all our luggage). it got to our destination ok, so it was alright. DH installed the carseat in the rental car without the base, and that way since we had the BJCM we didn't have to keep taking it out and reinstalling it, as others mentioned.

and the flight itself was great (upgraded to first class!). DS was awake almost the entire 4 hr flight, but we were able to keep him entertained. i think i nursed about half the time! the inflatable Brest Friend was a lifesaver. like someone said having him rest on that was much more comfortable.

anyway, i'm glad i brought the BJCM, its' nice to have to go for a walk since here in the SF the weather is actually nice and i feel better going for long walks for him in this instead of in the carseat.