PDA

View Full Version : Help me brainstorm a scavenger hunt please

MommyofAmaya
05-03-2010, 08:08 PM
I planned on doing a scavenger hunt at Amaya's bday but cannot get my head around the logistics. The party is at a toddler swimming "pool". Most kids are from 2-4. I was planning to put out some pool/beach toys for them to find and give them a list with photos (laminated I guess so it doesn't disintegrate, or maybe a posterboard?). My concerns are the following:

1. Do I have to buy a bucket, bag, etc. for them to put their "finds" in? I don't think they will allow plastic shopping bags in the pool area.

2. Is it ok to give a prize to only the "winner"? Will kids this age understand why they aren't getting a prize?

3. Is this a pointless endeavor b/c they would rather be swimming, sliding, etc. anyway? I also have a pin the patch on the pirate type game.

Thanks! and I promise, no more pirate party threads! ;)

fivi2
05-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Hmm... I have to say I think the scavenger hunt would be hard at that age. I would give prizes to everyone, not just the winner. Are the toys they find for them to keep? If you want to hide treasure, I would do it more like an egg hunt and they get to keep what they find. (or something pirate-y instead of eggs, but that general idea). Or just get a pool noodle and a bucket for everyone, they can play with them, and they are the favors. Pool noodles are pretty cheap, I think. I don't think you need more than 1 game at a pool party for kids this young. JMO Sounds like fun!

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2010, 08:19 PM
I have to agree with pp, it sounds hard for that age. Not necessary either. Just plan on open play + cake (and presents :) if inclined). That is just right for 2-4yos. If the 4yos seem antsy, maybe whip out the pin the patch game. Until age 5-6, everyone should be a winner.

We did a pool party party once and the favors were buckets, blow up beach balls and a few other small pool/ sand related items.

Beth

LMPC
IMHO, a scavenger hunt at that age might not be the blast you are imagining. (Sorry if I sound like a party pooper!) I like PP's idea of just getting everyone a little something to play with at the pool -- hit the dollar store for noodles or buckets or beach balls or floating boats....

BTW, I love the idea of pin the patch on the pirate!!

Happy birthday to Amaya!!!

LBW
We did a "pirate treasure hunt" at my oldest's 6th birthday. The kids did it as a pack. (I don't think it would have worked well with individual kids at that age.) I gave them the first clue, then once they got to that location, they got the next clue, etc, until the end. The "treasure" was a chest filled with their goodie bags.

Doing it this way worked really well. The kids had fun, no one got more loot than anyone else, a parent or two could shadow the group and provide hints, and I got more "bang" out of my goodie bags!

KrisM
05-03-2010, 08:33 PM
I agree that they're probably a little young.

But, what I've done in the past for prizes for the winner is to have a couple of things for the goody bag and the winner of the game gets to pick the first thing handed out to all. Winner of the next game does the same. All the kids get the same things in the end, but the winners get a bonus of picking.

MommyofAmaya
05-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll skip it and save the idea for another party a few years down the line. I just won't feel guilty about not doing it now! Buying all the extra stuff was stressing me out anyway (the venue was $$).