PDA

View Full Version : Any copy editors out there?

Sillygirl
05-03-2010, 09:21 PM
I'm writing an article about a community theater group, named (for example) The Candyland Theatre. They use the British spelling of "theatre." In the text of the article, I also talk about the physical space, seating arrangements, what have you. So I sometimes mention the "theater" but not referring to the company. Should I conform to American spelling there? That's what other articles in the same publication use.

Normally I guess I would ask the editor in chief, but there isn't one. Well, there is, but it's me, so clearly that's no help.

babystuffbuff
05-03-2010, 09:28 PM
So I sometimes mention the "theater" but not referring to the company. Should I conform to American spelling there?

Yes, the American spelling should be used unless you are referring to the name of the company, in which case you would put the British spelling, capitalized, since that is the group's name.

Hope that helps!

PAfirsttimemom
05-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Yes, the American spelling should be used unless you are referring to the name of the company, in which case you would put the British spelling, capitalized, since that is the group's name.

Hope that helps!

I agree with this, especially since you say that "theater" is the spelling used elsewhere in the publication. Consistency is key in copyediting. :-)

Sillygirl
05-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Right! It just bugs me to have two different spellings in the same article, but it seems there will have to be inconsistency somewhere.

Antoher question - is backmost a word? Trying to talk about the seats farthest from the theater, in the least amount of words possible.

PAfirsttimemom
05-03-2010, 09:46 PM
I would use "farthermost."

momof2girls
05-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Theater and why not just use Farthest?

octmom
05-03-2010, 10:35 PM
I'd say rear seats.

citymama
05-04-2010, 02:49 AM

Hope that helps!

:yeahthat: I agree with this. And I would use "seats at the rear of the theater" or furthest from the stage as a way to describe the seats at the back!

wellyes
05-04-2010, 08:51 AM
I believe 'farthest row' or 'rear seats' is the convention used most often when referring to distance from a theater stage.