PDA

View Full Version : Nanny woes

caribbeanmama
05-03-2010, 10:47 PM
So last Thursday morning DH and I had to attend a funeral and had to leave home pretty early. We asked our nanny if she could arrive an hour early so that she could help get the our boys ready for school. I asked her to take DS1 to the bus stop and later, DS2 to his preschool [which is about four blocks from our house]. I left everything ready for her - their clothes, what they would have for breakfast, etc.

After the funeral, around 11:45 am, I checked in with our nanny to remind her to pick up DS2 from preschool at noon. DH and I then decided to have lunch and I arrived home around 1:40 pm. Upon my arrival at home, my jaw just dropped! Not only did I find DS2 at home, but also DS1! When I questioned our nanny about what happenned, she nonchalantly claimed that they missed the school bus because...(insert anything here that takes the responsibility away from her and puts the blame solely on 7 and 5 year old kids)

That's right, it was my kids' fault that my 7 year old missed the bus. Okay, but missing the bus is not my source of anger as that can happen to anyone. However, why didn't this woman call me to let me know what was going on??? She knows when and how to reach me and she could have left a message on my cell phone. Even when I called to check in at 11:45 am, why didn't she tell me what was going? Oh and to make matter worse, my first grader missed his class pictures that morning! :mad:

If she had only communicated with me or DH, we would have called our next door neighbor who would have been able to take our DS to school. I am still boiling with frustration here. I talked to her about the situation, but I really feel that she just doesn't get the gravity of what she did. Unbelievable!!! :shake: Thank goodness we only have her till June 11 and then it is ADIOS! :boogie:

I would kind of fire her (especially since I have alternatives for child care), but oh well I don't know if I should go there since we only have a little over a month left. This woman (when is in her 50's, btw) is otherwise a good caretaker. I just feel she was so careless though, like she just didn't want to deal with the situation. :irked:

wellyes
05-03-2010, 11:04 PM
So -- wait -- not only did she not call to tell you, you called for an update and she didn't MENTION that your elementary-aged child was at home / absent from school that day? What???? That's just ridiculous. Ridiculous. I'd be boiling mad too.

gatorsmom
05-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Yep, I'd be steaming too. It's one thing not to be able to handle the situation and then let you know that she needs help, but to let him miss class, not call or ask for help when you called her is totallly careless, IMHO. Good thing you only have a month left with her.

MamaMolly
05-03-2010, 11:27 PM
So she is leaving your employment soon? Sounds like Short Timer's disease to me. Like Senior-itis for grownups. FWIW I think it would be ok to let her go now.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
05-04-2010, 12:13 AM
So she is leaving your employment soon? Sounds like Short Timer's disease to me. Like Senior-itis for grownups. FWIW I think it would be ok to let her go now.

:yeahthat: That is SO.NOT.COOL!

chlobo
05-04-2010, 07:33 AM
I"d let her go now. How else is she going to learn?

o_mom
05-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Be careful that if you fire her now you aren't getting into a worse situation. That was clearly unacceptable, but it almost sounds like she is passive-aggresively looking for a fight. I would document heavily what happened even if you keep her for the month so if she pulls more of it you aren't wishing you had done so.

One last thought.... didn't the school call you when he didn't show up? We have to call every day if the kids are absent. If not they call home, work and cell until they reach a parent.

egoldber
05-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Wow! That is unacceptable, but I agree about being careful about just firing her. I do think that some people just don't know how to deal with situations when things happen outside their comfort/ability to cope zone. Not that this is any excuse, but she may have not known what to do and then was too embarrassed or flustered to tell you when you called to check in. I know relatives of mine where this would be beyond their ability to cope and would have just kept the kid home. Sad, but true.

If she is otherwise a good caregiver, I would probably just deal with it for 4 weeks rather than disrupt your children's child care arrangements for such a short time.

didn't the school call you when he didn't show up?

I know that in our school, it can take the office until the late afternoon to get arouind to calling for absences. And if they called home, the nanny may well have answered and talked to them.

caribbeanmama
05-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks for all your responses. I am still pretty upset about what happened and I think like Beth says, she just could not deal with the situation. I don't think the school called us. I called the school to let them know what happened when I found DS at home. I also explained what happened to his homeroom teacher the next day.

Oh and today I arrived home from work to find DD with a broken bottom lip. No real explanation of what happened. The nanny said that probably DD jump from somewhere and bit her lip in the process. What kind of BS is that? DD is only 32 months old, but when I asked what happened after the nanny left, she pointed to a chair and said she fell. Looking at her lip, I am inclined to think that is exactly what happened. Again, why would she not tell me the truth? Things like can happen to anyone. Oh and by they way, I have only treated this lady with the utmost respect. I have never yelled at her, belittled her or taken advantaged of her in any way.

She is getting to my limit and it takes A LOT to get me there. I get out of school June 11 and I can't wait for that day to come fast enough :irked:

ThreeofUs
05-04-2010, 04:33 PM
So sorry you're going through this - and that your DC are, too! Is something wrong with your nanny?

Can you sit down with her and tell her how concerned you are getting? Maybe you'll find out what's wrong.

Hope it gets better!!

hillview
05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
I think if I had ANY other options, I might get rid of her sooner than later. Sounds like a bad situation. Not so much that these things happend but sounds like she is angry? If that is the case I don't think it would be good.
/hillary

arivecchi
05-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I think if I had ANY other options, I might get rid of her sooner than later. Sounds like a bad situation. Not so much that these things happend but sounds like she is angry? If that is the case I don't think it would be good.
/hillary:yeahthat: I agree. Sounds like passive-agressive behavior to me.