PDA

View Full Version : Mom has breast cancer. Now what?

Momof3Labs
05-03-2010, 11:55 PM
My mom just found out this afternoon that she has breast cancer. Both sides, but I guess that it is very small and was caught very early. Not sure of the name of the type (lesion something??), but apparently it is less likely to metastisize. She is 62 and otherwise quite healthy.

We are quite close, and live about 10 minutes apart. She helps a lot with the kids, and is very close to them.

I was running on fumes before this news came in.

It's going to be okay, right?

Anyone who has btdt and can give me an idea of what might be to come? She's in good hands medically already.

Prayers are appreciated too - for this, and for other things that I can't post here (but are contributing heavily to me running on fumes).

TIA!!

Lori

pinkmomagain
05-03-2010, 11:59 PM
So sorry for this news. No btdt, just sending positive thoughts your way. ((Hugs)

elaineandmichaelsmommy
05-04-2010, 12:00 AM
well--my grandmothers husband survived advanced lymphoma so it sounds like your moms got a really good chance at beating this. Especially if they caught it this early. My fil was diagnosed with prostate cancer and is fine 8 years later. There are success stories.

What to do for her? I'd say be there for her and drive her around and help take care of her if she feels lousy due to her treatments of whatever they decide is best for her.

But take care of yourself. She's going to need you and you'll need your strength and alertness. If nothing else she may need help juggling her health insurance paperwork. :grouphug:to you.

almostamom
05-04-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm sorry, Lori. You and your mom are both in my prayers. As for BTDT, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1995. Hers was caught early as well. She underwent radiation but elected not to have chemo. I remember she had multiple appts each week for a few months. I don't remember exactly how often she went in for radiation, but I know it didn't slow her down. At the time she was planning my sister's wedding and helping to take care of my grandfather who was terminally ill. It's been 15 years and she's just fine. She's never had a recurrence.

Hugs,

Linda

KpbS
05-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Hugs and lots of P+PT for your mom and you :hug:

elektra
05-04-2010, 12:25 AM
So sorry to hear that news. Big hugs to you. I typed out a long post but I am going to PM you instead. Good news coming. :)

wellyes
05-04-2010, 12:39 AM
That sounds so scary but it's a relief they caught it early. No BTDT but I know my mom's next door neighbor had - much more advanced than that - and within a year was back to her old self. There is definitely hope. Good luck to you & yours.

bubbaray
05-04-2010, 12:58 AM
P&PT Lori. :grouphug:

tiapam
05-04-2010, 12:59 AM
My mom just found out this afternoon that she has breast cancer. Both sides, but I guess that it is very small and was caught very early. Not sure of the name of the type (lesion something??), but apparently it is less likely to metastisize. She is 62 and otherwise quite healthy.

We are quite close, and live about 10 minutes apart. She helps a lot with the kids, and is very close to them.

I was running on fumes before this news came in.

Anyone who has btdt and can give me an idea of what might be to come? She's in good hands medically already.

Prayers are appreciated too - for this, and for other things that I can't post here (but are contributing heavily to me running on fumes).

TIA!!

Lori

Lori, big huge hugs to you. My mom did not have the same type of cancer, but I can tell you a few things that might help as you get set to help her fight this.

If a lot of people will want to follow her progress, you (or better yet, someone you designate) can set up a website at caringbridge.org or carepages. com. This was a lifesaver for me and my sibs. We also set up a private Yahoo group just for us kids, to communicate more easily and privately with each other and help manage things. There is a calendar there and room for pics, files, links, etc.

If your mom does not keep a calendar (paper or digital) she can carry with her, I would get her one. She can use it to make appts and write down important info. Also, as long as she is not fasting, bring food and water when she goes to appointments, treatments, tests, etc. There may be some long waits. And you do want food available when she is hungry, because she may not always be.

You have a lot on your plate right now, so even if you think you are the one who *should* do X or Y for your mom, you need to let other people help, too, as much as possible.
I'll be praying for your mom and you and your family.

giavila
05-04-2010, 01:50 AM
I'm so sorry. I've been there..
My mom was diagnosed 2 years ago with breast cancer (DCIS), which is cancer in the ducts. She was also 62 at the time. They found it early, she had a lumpectomy that was not successful. She had a 2nd lumpectomy that was successful and then followed by (I think) 8 weeks of radiation 5 days per week. The radiation was easy at first, but the last few weeks were rough. Very exhausted, low energy, etc. She didn't need chemo. She was put on hormone therapy (Tamoxifen) for 5 years and since then has had some thyroid issues (not sure if it's related to the medication) and is dealing with weight gain. Otherwise she is fine and feeling great.

It's a lot to take in, but since it's early she will be just fine. Just be there for her, her appts, things to take her mind off of it, etc.

BabyMine
05-04-2010, 02:04 AM
No BTDT but I can't imagine all the things that are running through your head. P&PT coming you and your family's way.:hug:

LexyLou
05-04-2010, 02:24 AM
:hug: I'm sorry. My thoughts are with you guys.

MontrealMum
05-04-2010, 02:31 AM
First, lots of hugs :grouphug: and P&PT.

Second, my MIL was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1994, which is right when I met DH. She did chemo (I don't know all the particulars of her diagnosis and treatment, just that part), and has been cancer-free ever since :yay:. She continues to lead an extremely active life, and often has more energy than I do!

Globetrotter
05-04-2010, 03:22 AM
Breast cancer, when caught early, is pretty much considered curable. People can and do live for many years beyond the diagnosis.
:grouphug: Regardless, it must be scary.

KrisM
05-04-2010, 06:12 AM
:grouphug: I'm sorry. My thoughts are with you and your family.

mytwosons
05-04-2010, 06:25 AM
It sounds like they found it very early, but I know it's scary whenever we get reminded of our parents' mortality.

My aunt's cancer was found early, but she still opted for a mastectomy. She did not have to have radiation or chemo afterwards (my memory is fuzzy - she might have had one radiation treatment? Nothing that slowed her down.) and has been in great health for the past ten years.

FWIW, several years ago I was faced with a severe challenge that left me wondering how I was going to fight that battle along with all the other things I was dealing with at the time. I realized that in order to be at my peak mentally, I also needed to be at my peak (or near it) physically. I couldn't be mentally strong if I wasn't physically strong. I didn't think I had any spare time, but I made sure to hit the gym at least three times a week, take my vitamins (Vit D is great!), and eat better. I'm convinced I would not have made it through that time if it hadn't been for taking care of myself like that. And, I also got a body I was proud of again!

You and your family will be in my prayers. :grouphug:

sewarsh
05-04-2010, 06:33 AM
Positive thoughts are SO important to you, your family and especially your mother right now. I'm so happy to hear they caught it earlier. She'll have some rough times ahead, but will be so great having yoiu as support and only 10 minutes away. I'm sorrry for your sad news.

klwa
05-04-2010, 06:33 AM
No BTDT, just wanted to send :hug: :grouphug: and prayers & PTs.

WatchingThemGrow
05-04-2010, 06:42 AM
P&PT for your family, Lori. I'll pray that you have lots of fuel in your tank to keep going as she goes to appts and can't be there helping with the DC, and that you'll all have a peace about the situation in the midst of it.

elizabethkott
05-04-2010, 06:45 AM
:grouphug:
P&PT coming your, and your mom's way.

maestramommy
05-04-2010, 06:49 AM
sorry double post

maestramommy
05-04-2010, 06:49 AM
My mom was diagnosed a couple of years ago. They thought it was stage zero (only one lump of non aggressive cancer), but when they did the lumpectomy they found another lump and this was the aggressive cancer, so they upgraded her to stage 1. Nothing had spread to the lymph nodes. After surgery she had several rounds of radiation. She's fine now, but during the radiation she was pretty wiped out, and after the surgery she wasn't allowed to lift anything. Also, because they did removed a couple of lymph nodes for testing she had some issue with her hands swelling. Apparently lymph nodes prevent water retention? I'm sure that's not exactly what's happening medically, but the upshot was that she had to wear a very tight fitting glove to keep her hand from swelling up.

She still takes medication, although I'm not sure what kind, but she otherwise leads a normal life. Exercises a lot more, eats a lot better:p

egoldber
05-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Ugh, I'm so sorry. :( Wishing her the best in her treatment.

brgnmom
05-04-2010, 06:54 AM
:hug: I'm very sorry that your mom has this diagnosis. on a positive note, it is hopeful that she has been diagnosed at an early stage. Many prayers and positive thoughts to you. :hug:

boogiemomz
05-04-2010, 07:12 AM
SO very sorry to hear your news. :hug: i don't have any words of advice, just wanted to say i'm thinking of you and praying for you and your mom.

g-mama
05-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Lori, I'm so sorry. I don't have any advice but I will be praying for both your mom and you.

JTsMom
05-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Oh Lori, I'm so sorry. :grouphug: Lots of P&PT for you and your mom. Please let us know how she does with treatment.

sunshine873
05-04-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm so sorry. No BTDT, but lots of P&PT for you, your mom & your family. Lots of hugs, we'll be here to support you as you support her. :grouphug:

infomama
05-04-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm praying for you. My MIL is a breast cancer survivor and hers was not caught that early. Big hugs :grouphug:

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Lots and lots of P&PT are headed your way, Lori.

Beth

Melaine
05-04-2010, 08:03 AM
Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear this. I will also be praying for your family and your mom.

mamicka
05-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Praying for you & your mom Lori. :hug::hug::hug:

elliput
05-04-2010, 08:39 AM

Yes.:hug: Early detection makes a huge difference. In the meantime, take care of yourself. Lots of PT headed your way. :love5:

gatorsmom
05-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Oh, no, I know that initial feeling of terror you are going through. My mom was 61yo when she found hers.

The good news is that if they found it early it is so survivable. And since it's a very common type of cancer there has been a TON of research done on it.

Big, big hugs and lots of prayers going out to your mom and you.

JoyNChrist
05-04-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how scared and worried you must be. :hug:

Lots of prayers being sent for you and your mom! FWIW, there are SO many stories of positive outcomes with cancer among our family and friends. Early detection and good care are key - your mom has excellent chances of being perfectly fine.

Keep us updated as you're able...

JamiMac
05-04-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm so sorry, Lori. Lots of P&PT coming your way.

boys2enough
05-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Lori,

I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your family. Sending you positive thoughts and prayers.

It is nice that you and your mom live only 10 minutes away from each other. Since my families are all overseas and my parents are getting older, I am forever dreading getting THAT phone call.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Lin

missym
05-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Lori, big hugs and lots of prayers for strength for you and healing for your mom. :grouphug:

If she can take someone else to her appts with her (maybe not you since it sounds like you're overstretched already) or a voice recorder, that might be helpful. As the patient, you're sometimes so shell-shocked that you don't hear everything the doctor is saying. It's really easy to get overwhelmed by medical-speak. Writing a list of questions before each appointment is a good idea, as well.

Hang in there, we're all here for you. :hug::hug:

tmarie
05-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I haven't BTDT, but I just wanted to send you P&PT. It sounds positive that they caught it so early and that it's small.

tmarie

daisymommy
05-04-2010, 10:21 AM
(((HUGS))) and prayers go out to you and your mom. It sounds like they caught it early enough and the fact that they are smaller masses is a positive.
I have a good friend at church who is undergoing treatment right now, and she is doing well, getting better. Sounds like your mom is health and in good hands. Prayers that she will come out of this stronger!

HIU8
05-04-2010, 10:54 AM
First, just wanted to say :22:

My grandmother was a 2x breast cancer survivor, so I have been there twice with her. She underwent radiation twice and a lumpectomy. My MIL is also a breast cancer survivor she had both breasts removed and had reconstructive surgery and has been cancer free for 2 years now.

arivecchi
05-04-2010, 10:56 AM
My grandmother was diagnosed at 65 yo. She had both breasts removed and underwent radiation and she made a full recovery. My mom and aunt were a huge help to her. They accompanied to her appointments and my mom handled all of the paperwork and kept track of her treatment.

I hope your mom will have a similar outcome. It's so great that they found it early on. Just take care of your mom the best you can and don't foerget to take care of yourself as well. We are here for you. :grouphug:

o_mom
05-04-2010, 11:11 AM
P&PT for your mom and you. It is hard, we've been through it here, but hopefully it is just a bump in the road and she has easy procedures and recovery.

ThreeofUs
05-04-2010, 11:15 AM
So sorry to hear your news. May her treatment and recovery be quick and painless.

fivi2
05-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I am so sorry. Sending you lots of positive thoughts.

carolinamama
05-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Just wanted to send you, your mom, and the rest of your family prayers. Take care of her and yourself.

kijip
05-04-2010, 11:22 AM
I am very sorry she is facing this. I hope she gets excellent care and it is taken care of soon. Hugs to you and to her.

TwinFoxes
05-04-2010, 11:36 AM
You and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there during these rough times. :hug:

bnme
05-04-2010, 11:54 AM
P&PT coming your way.
:grouphug:

lmh2402
05-04-2010, 12:01 PM
i'm not btdt, but wanted to send :hug: and P&PTs your way

caleymama
05-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Many, many hugs to you and your family, Lori. I'm so sorry to hear this news about your Mom. As you said, she is in good hands medically and she has you and other family members there for her. I wish both of you strength as she undergoes treatment. We're here for you to lean on!

Wife_and_mommy
05-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Lori,

So sorry to hear about your mom. The fact it was caught early is phenomenal so I would take comfort in that.

:hug: to you.

mikeys_mom
05-04-2010, 01:48 PM
I am so sorry to hear. Sending you lots of P&PT.

wencit
05-04-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, but sending you lots of strength and prayers that everything will turn out OK in the end. :hug:

Indianamom2
05-04-2010, 01:58 PM
First, take a deep breath. It is going to be okay. :grouphug:

Second, my grandmother was diagnosed in her late 60's (maybe early 70's) with breast cancer that was caught fairly early. She ended up opting for a mastectomy (one side only, I believe) and has been fine ever since.

My mom has something that the doctor is terming "Pre-cancer". It could be something, it may never develop into anything. She is taking tamoxifen and being watched very closely (and will be for the rest of her life) because it apparently raises her risk a bit for developing cancer.

You will get through this and thank goodness for early detection.

cuca_
05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. Sending P & PT to your mom, to you and to the rest of your family.

mom_hanna
05-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Lori, So sorry for the diagnosis. My mom had breast cancer in 1990, and had a lumpectomy and radiation, and is still cancer free now. She had swelling as well in her arm and hand on the side where they removed some lymph nodes and did the radiation, but it resolved itself eventually and she has no other side effects. Positive thoughts for you and your mom and family.

citymama
05-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Lori, sending P&PT your way. Breast cancer is one of the most common and more treatable forms of cancer. I have two cousins who were diagnosed in their early 30s and are both in remission (one for over 15 years). My grandma has been a breast cancer survivor for over 30 years. I am sure your mom will kick it, but it is going to be a tough ride these next few months/year. Hang in there.

Zansu
05-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Lori

My mom had DCIS (ductal carcinoma in-situ) twice, and I've done a lot of research for her. It doesn't sound as though your mother has the same diagnosis, but please feel free to PM me if I can be of any help whatsoever.

Prayers for your mom, and you, and the entire family.

Twoboos
05-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Many prayers for you and your mom, Lori. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1991 I think. She passed away in 2008, so a really long time.

I am going to pm you. Feel free to pm me at any time!!! :grouphug:

ohiomom
05-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Lori,
No time to read other replies, but wanted to send you :grouphug:.

I can remember the precise moment mom told me she had breast cancer, which was also dcis.

She opted for mastectomy because she had this diffusely (many places within the breast). This was about 15 yrs ago. I think now they would have tried other therapies w/that diagnosis, but in her case they/she chose mastectomy w/tran flap reconstruction. The reconstruction was a big, big surgery, but I don't think she regrets it. For me, it's a relief that its been so long and 2nd, that there was more risk of new primary lesion in other breast than metastasis of original cancer.

High likelihood that with treatment this is manageable given caught early. Just be sure to keep up to date w/your own surveillance and encourage any sisters to do same if you have.

DD1 6
DD2 3

SASM
05-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Lori,

I am so sorry. I have been there...my mom and both grandmothers are survivors. Your mom will be in my prayers. I pray that surgery is all that she needs. Good luck, mama. I am sure that other have more specific resources but there is a ton of wonderful websites and Internet support available to both if you. Huge hugs!!!

elephantmeg
05-05-2010, 07:35 AM
just wanted to send hugs!

Jen841
05-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Early detection is good. My MIL is 3-4 years cancer free right now from breast cancer, DH's Aunt is 2-3 years cancer free and my friend is 1 year cancer free (age 38!).

I feel for you. This is one of my big fears. Due to my fear, I am walking 60 miles over 3 days to help find a cure for Breast Cancer.

Prayers and walking are what I offer to you and your family.