PDA

View Full Version : Moms of adhd kids-anyone else using concerta?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
05-04-2010, 12:11 AM
It's been a busy,busy year. House for sale, dd has been under treatment for adhd since last november but we just saw the psychiatrist last tuesday and she FINALLY thank GOD switched dd1 from adderall to concerta. So last week we were using a dosage of 18mg and this week I uped it to 36 per the docs instruction. WOW what a differance. She's EATING and it's lasting through the day. YAYYY! The adderall didn't last the day,we had massive weight loss and and emotional roller coaster like crazy. I feel horrid that she had to loose most of 1st grade to us figuring what was going on.

Hopefully the concerta will help her calm down enough that she can take care of her anxiety herself and won't need med's for it also.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had an experience like this or even has a dc with adhd?

pinkmomagain
05-04-2010, 08:41 AM
My dd2 is adhd/anxiety. She's been on focalinxr for a few years and we like it. It lasts until a bit after school and helps her a ton with focus at school (and calmer behavior at home). Yeah, she is on anxiety meds too. Hopefully, your dd won't need 'em!

If I remember correctly, we started the meds in 3rd grade and she's in 5th grade now. Don't beat yourself up about delaying meds during 1st. None of us want to make the jump to meds with our loved ones and do due diligence before making the decision to proceed. It is rare also for the drs to find the perfect med at the perfect dosage first time around. It usually takes alot of trial and error.

Good Luck! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away or pm me.