PDA

View Full Version : Swollen legs and feet. What helps?

c&j04
05-04-2010, 12:28 AM
I'm lost because I had no swelling while pregnant. Home now and my legs are not as major but my feet and ankles are crazy!! The skin is almost stretched tight. What can I do?? I have been keeping them up as much as possible today and it helps a little. Any suggestions appreciated! :)

sariana
05-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Drink lots of water and other sodium-free fluids. Alternate elevating your legs with moving around as much as possible, to keep the blood flowing. Pace with the baby if necessary.

tiapam
05-04-2010, 01:07 AM
It will probably go away overnight, though not necessarily tonight. It's freaky. I made my DH take a picture so I could show DD some day. I think I sweated it all out in one night.

Indianamom2
05-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm lost because I had no swelling while pregnant. Home now and my legs are not as major but my feet and ankles are crazy!! The skin is almost stretched tight. What can I do?? I have been keeping them up as much as possible today and it helps a little. Any suggestions appreciated! :)

Congratulations on your new little guy!

I just wanted to throw this out there, but with DD#1, I had no blood pressure issues until AFTER delivery. So if the swelling is worse, you might want to at least consider getting your blood pressure re-checked.

Andi98989
05-04-2010, 04:11 PM
I had horrible swelling while I was pregnant; my feet were huge. By the end I was swollen up to my knees. Ugh. The best things that helped me were keeping my feel elevated and keeping a cold rice pack on them. Thankfully within 24 hours after delivery I started to drop all my extra fluid and it resolved pretty quickky (bp was okay the entire time, just horrible water retention).

Gracemom
05-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Did you have IV fluids during your labor? I did and my feet swelled horribly. My shoes did not fit so I had to leave the hospital barefoot! I drank a lot of water, peed a lot and sweat a ton at night - the sheets were soaked! I lost all the swelling in a couple days. I might call the dr. to mention it just in case though.

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2010, 04:16 PM
C-sections and epidurals can cause a lot of fluid retention. Be on the alert for any high bp symptoms otherwise lots and lots of water!

Beth

zag95
05-04-2010, 11:42 PM
as PP have said, lots of water and elevate those feet! I also elevated my feet, when I was sleeping at night- I was so darned tired that I could sleep with my feet up in the air!

ahrimie
05-05-2010, 12:27 AM
It'll go away really fast so don't worry! I had that too--just drink water and don't forget to pee! I peed out liters and liters (through a catheter) :(

longtallsally05
05-05-2010, 01:26 AM
I once read in a nursing journal that to reduce swelling in the lower extremities (dependent edema), 20 minutes of immersion in water is as effective as 60 minutes of elevating your feet & legs. The pressure of the water forces fluids out of your tissues back into the blood and lymph systems, which is why people always have to pee like crazy after they get out of a swimming pool. If you can't go swimming, you might try a bath (as long as it isn't contraindicated). Sounds like you may have given birth recently, so follow your doctor's/advance practice nurse's advice re: bathing & swimming. FYI, you should touch base with your primary care provider if you have "pitting edema". Take the flat side of your fingers and press them slowly and firmly against your shin, then remove. Note if an indentation remains and how dramatic it is, so you can tell your doc/nurse. Hope you feel better soon!

MamaSnoo
05-05-2010, 05:06 AM
TED hose helped me when I had this problem. The swelling was really uncomfortable, but lasted less than 1 week

JTsMom
05-05-2010, 06:17 AM
All of the above, but also try fresh pineapple. It really did work for me.