PDA

View Full Version : Soothing Prickly heat rash?

PMJ
05-04-2010, 01:27 AM
I think my DD has prickly heat. She has these reddish bumps on her upper chest, neck, and on the backs of her knee joints (near the folds) and also on her elbow folds. When I described them to my mom - she suggested it was prickly heat (from the hot weather in AZ). After doing some research on this, it seems like it might be it.

when I asked the Doc, she had absolutely no idea what it was. She thought it was dry skin.

Has anyone experienced this w/ their D Children?

I have always put loose clothes on her during the day and have been letting her just be in a diaper during the day the last two days. I feel sad b/c I think it must bother her :(

Any ideas on how to relieve this?

LMPC
05-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Sorry, I am not going to be much help on this one....but I would recommend posting it to the lounge where it will get more traffic and more answers :) People are really great with rash ID around here!

BTW, my mom was typically right when it came to things like this ;)

hillview
05-04-2010, 08:59 PM
My DSs have had this. Frequent (daily) cool baths and light clothes. I don't think that it really bothers them (maybe a little cranky). It cleared up in a couple of days.
/hillary

DrSally
05-04-2010, 09:00 PM
I was going to say cool bath.

PMJ
05-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks everyone!

I actually took DD to the Doc yesterday and he said it is more of 'dry skin" and suggested Aveeno cream or Vanicream. He also gave a prescription for a steroid, which I'm not going to fill.

I hope it works!

DrSally
05-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks everyone!

I actually took DD to the Doc yesterday and he said it is more of 'dry skin" and suggested Aveeno cream or Vanicream. He also gave a prescription for a steroid, which I'm not going to fill.

I hope it works!

Good! We really like vanicream.

susanasou
05-28-2010, 01:29 AM
My DS had prickly heat when he was 2 months old.I tried Aveeno bath, Aveeno dry skin soothing cream, etc.... nothing work. We went to the doctor, he also prescribed us with hydrocortisone cream. We didn't think we would use it at first but DS seemed to be so uncomfortable, we thought we would try to see if that can relief some of the itchiness. We put a thin layer on the more serious spots, he got much better after 3 times application and we stopped after that.

ehf
07-23-2010, 08:10 PM
My daughter just had this. Our ped. recommended putting 2 Tbs baking soda in the bath. We gave her lukewarm baths for 15 minutes and it cleared up in two days.

She has super sensitive skin. The baking soda also cleared up a bumpy rash along her diaper line that I had almost given up on...

DrSally
07-23-2010, 09:32 PM
My daughter just had this. Our ped. recommended putting 2 Tbs baking soda in the bath. We gave her lukewarm baths for 15 minutes and it cleared up in two days.

She has super sensitive skin. The baking soda also cleared up a bumpy rash along her diaper line that I had almost given up on...

Good tip. So 2 tbs was enough? I wonder if you should put on lotion or not, since the lotion can block the pores. Both my kids just went through this as well.