PDA

View Full Version : Help w/sick doggie (maybe tmi)

pinkmomagain
05-04-2010, 08:36 AM
So our 9 yo italian greyhound will get sick to his stomach every few months. Usually vomiting and will last maybe 24 hrs and be gone. But this time around, after vomiting a few times Sun am, he started in with lots from the other end. Dark liquid. I am constantly cleaning this up through this am. He doesn't seem in pain or distressed otherwise. I removed food & water yesterday midday thinking if nothing goes in, eventually nothing will come out (and that has been the advice of the vet in the past). But it doesn't seem to be ebbing as I'd expect. He seems to be looking for water. And since he hasn't vomited since Sunday nite, I'm inclined to give him some to get him hydrated. I'll do that now.

What do you think? Is it time to call the vet? Try to avoid it when I can....lots of pricey tests, etc. But certainly want to do right by him.

doberbrat
05-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Try this boil 1 sweet potato, 1 white potato and 1 leek till soft. mix in some of the water that it was boiled in to make a mushy mix and feed in small increments - 1/4 - 1/2 cup at a time. If you dont see improvement by afternoon, definitely call the vet. dehydration can be a real problem esp in small/old/unhealthy dogs

the herb slippery elm is very calming to the digestive tract as is marshmello root. you should be able to buy both as tea and serve that way. add a smidge of honey if your dog doesnt want to drink tea - mine always have so its not a biggie.

sste
05-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Does it seem at all like it could be blood? Does it have a smell that is different from feces?

I would go to the vet - - though I know it is painful $$$-wise.

Sorry your doggie isn't feeling well.

pinkmomagain
05-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Yes, it could very well be some blood. Doesn't really smell (but I'm not putting a nose too close to it). When I clean it the papertowel is brown, but sometimes I notice a fleck of red. (WOW....really tmi, sorry guys!)

infomama
05-04-2010, 10:05 AM
I would call the vet and get a sample before you go in.

pinkmomagain
05-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks all. brought him to the vet. apparently he's lost weight since last year's visit. dr wanted to do a ton of $$ tests for $900. i said that i wanted to treat the current issue and once that's resolved we'll see if he gains weight by his July routine check up. so he's staying overnite for hydration, meds, and an xray to make sure nothing really obvious shows up for $500. at least i get a break from poop clean-up....

lmh2402
05-04-2010, 12:08 PM
i hope he feels better soon! i know it's $$ but i definitely think you did the right thing taking him in.

elektra
05-04-2010, 12:36 PM
So sorry about your pup. I love IG's. We have Whippets. :)
Our Elektra is a barfer too and has these weird things where she will go a few days without eating if she is nervous. I think she eats random things too that upset her stomach.
I think it was a good call that you took him in. Is this a vet you trust and knows about skinny sighthounds? The weight may not be as big of a deal if the vet is not used to skinny dogs. But the xray is probably a good idea if he is not showing signs of improvement.
I took Elektra in last time she didn't eat for a few days, and luckily the vet felt ok just feeling her belly and not requiring the $$$ tests.
And we actually just chucked our rug after she did a huge barf on it this weekend. Why do they always barf on the rug when there is plenty of hardwood around????
Hope he is ok.

infomama
05-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Why do they always barf on the rug when there is plenty of hardwood around????

Aint that the truth. When you figure this one out, please let me know.

pinkmomagain
05-04-2010, 03:20 PM
OMG, why is it always the rug??? I'd love to know too....well, actually, I'd just like it to stop!!!

The vet called. He still has bloody diarrhea. He's getting fluids and medicine to try to calm the gi tract. The xray showed gas in the intestines and colon...no masses or tumors. we are waiting to see how he does by tomorrow before agreeing to bloodwork.

I've been reading about HGE:http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasesh/a/HGEindogs.htm

I'm thinking this sounds like it could be it.

infomama
05-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Thank goodness you took him in. Hope they find the root of the problem soon. Poor pup.