PDA

View Full Version : allergies are getting worse

HIU8
05-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Poor DD. Her nose is always stuffed up. She is complaining b/c she can't breath. Right now she is on generic zyrtec once a day and it'd not doing anything (it was at the beginning). I have to call the ped and talk to him before her 3 yr old well visit. In January she had her tonsils and adeniods out and tubes in. That solved some issues. Then this season hit hard. I have no idea what to give her now that benedryl etc... was pulled off the shelves (I know I can do generic, but I want to talk to the ped first about what to give when and the combo of stuff to give). I just feel so bad for her. It's so bad that she throws up mucus daily.

Tondi G
05-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Not all Benedryl was pulled ... just the dye free versions it seems.

Could you find a generic benedryl option? Maybe Clairitin? Any chance a nasal spray would work? Nasonex or ?

Has she been to an allergist? If not then maybe now would be a good time to get a referral from your ped to see one.

HIU8
05-04-2010, 11:52 AM
DD is on nasonex per the ENT every night. She needs more of a combo of things it seems. I think we will go the route of the ped first and then plan to go to an allergist if needed.

I didn't look into the recall any closer b/c everything I had in my medicine cabinet was under the recall--so it's all gone.

bnme
05-04-2010, 11:52 AM
My DS has it pretty bad. He was on Singulair and Zyrtec and was still pretty bad (now I am not sure if it may have been an issue with the recalled meds, we did have some of both good and bad that we were using). Anyway, we tried perscription Clarinex and he is MUCH better. We had tried the OTC claritin too, that was similar to zyrtec. I think it also helped that we switched the singulair to morning and take the other at night.

I can't wait for allergy season to end!

lablover
05-04-2010, 11:58 AM
DD was bad a couple of weeks ago, even on 4 meds, and I started spraying Simply Saline in her nose a couple of times a day, netipot style, trying to get it all the way through so it drained out the other nostril. I felt like the Nasonex wasn't able to do its job because her nose was full of mucus (I don't know if that is true or not) so I would make sure I used the saline before her Nasonex spray. DD is on zyrtec, nasonex, singulair and flovent for asthma and is currently well controlled, knock on wood...

Cuckoomamma
05-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I don't know if your dd has any food allergies, but many people produce excess mucus when eating dairy. You might see some relief with a temporary reduction in dairy consumption.

HIU8
05-04-2010, 01:55 PM
DD has a milk sensitivity. She is most likely lactose intolerant like me and DH. She can tolerate dairy such as yogurt, cheese etc... I know it is probably contributing to her mucous. But it has never been this bad.