PDA

View Full Version : Friend WWYD?

fivi2
05-04-2010, 11:06 AM
This isn't a huge deal, but it is kind of stressing me out. We have a wooden kitchen that my dc don't play with so I was planning to CL it. I would think I could get between $50 and $75 for it. (It is in great condition since it never gets played with :) )

I happened to mention it to my friend at a playdate (we were just talking about decluttering or something). I didn't think it would be an issue since they already have a play kitchen. Well, she doesn't like theirs and said if we do sell ours she would buy it.

So - what do I do? Do I tell her what I was planning on listing it for? Do I offer a discount? Just give it to her as a bday present for her kids? I happen to know that they are having financial difficulties... But, tbh, it would help us to get something for it also... But not having to deal with CL and people flaking on me would be nice...

So what do I do?

HIU8
05-04-2010, 11:08 AM
If you want to offer it to her be honest about what you would be listing it for. I did that with a stroller. I told my friend the lowest I was going to go on CL and she handed it to me then and there. Stroller gone and no CL stress.

egoldber
05-04-2010, 11:09 AM
I would offer it to her for what you are planning on selling it for on CL. I don't think you have any obligation to sell it to her for less. If you think it is worth it to you to have someone you know and trust take it off your hands, maybe offer it for a little less, but I don't think you need to do that.

sunshine873
05-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Since she offered to buy it, I'd say let her know what you were going to list it for and then offer to her at a small discount.

If you really want to help them out and you're OK with not getting $$ for it, then just giving it to her would be super-sweet. But I do think it's OK to request $$ for it too.

JoyNChrist
05-04-2010, 11:13 AM
I would just say, "I was planning to list it on CL for $75 and see what offers I got...but I'll go ahead and sell it to you for $50." That way it seems that you're giving her a discount, but you're still getting what you wanted for it. You're certainly not obligated to give it away - you deserve to get some of your investment back.

fivi2
05-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys! I guess I just feel bad because I know they are having money woes. But I guess if she can't afford it, it is up to her to say no!

wellyes
05-04-2010, 11:47 AM
I would just say, "I was planning to list it on CL for $75 and see what offers I got...but I'll go ahead and sell it to you for $50." That way it seems that you're giving her a discount, but you're still getting what you wanted for it. You're certainly not obligated to give it away - you deserve to get some of your investment back.

Yes, that's exactly what I'd do. I might even go down $10 from that because selling to her will save you the hassle of having to post, deal with flaky people who email you, arranging a meeting, etc.

SpaceGal
05-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys! I guess I just feel bad because I know they are having money woes. But I guess if she can't afford it, it is up to her to say no!

I was in a similar situation with a friend of mine. She was looking for a travel swing for her SIL and I know they are in a bit of pinch with money. I just told her I had one I posted on craigslist for $20 and that she could look at it if she liked. She took it for $20.

wildfire
05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
If they are truly having money woes, they wouldn't be buying a new (to them) play kitchen when they already have one. Offer it for what you want, let her make the decision on what they can afford.

AJP
05-04-2010, 09:25 PM
If they are truly having money woes, they wouldn't be buying a new (to them) play kitchen when they already have one. Offer it for what you want, let her make the decision on what they can afford.

:yeahthat:
I'd offer the lowest I'd list for on CL. I might even give it to them as a birthday gift if they didn't already have one and was planning on spending that anyways. You should be able to make some money back and they might make some back if they sell their kitchen too.

JustMe
05-04-2010, 10:08 PM
I agree with all the previous posters...and, yes, its not like they *need* this play kitchen so I don't think you need to feel bad about their money woes. If this was a non-luxury item that they didn't already have, that might be different.