PDA

View Full Version : Should you steam mop hardwood floors?

tmarie
05-04-2010, 11:21 AM
A neighbor just told me that she uses a shark steam mop on her floors. We have the same kind of hardwood flooring. I have been using a hardwood cleaner spray(similar to bona) and dry mop. It works ok but I frequently have to get down on my hands and knees. The steam mop sounds great because it removes sticky stuff more easily, but is it harmful to the hardwood?

TIA!

tmarie

ThreeofUs
05-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Wow. I have to say I surely wouldn't, if only because the steam is likely to penetrate the sealant on the floor, causing it to lift off.

But iirc there are some steam cleaners that say they can be used on hardwood, so what do I know? I'd just be very careful not to steam for a while in any one place, I guess.

tmarie
05-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Wow. I have to say I surely wouldn't, if only because the steam is likely to penetrate the sealant on the floor, causing it to lift off.

But iirc there are some steam cleaners that say they can be used on hardwood, so what do I know? I'd just be very careful not to steam for a while in any one place, I guess.

That was my thought exactly! I wasn't sure if i was missing something...
tmarie

HIU8
05-04-2010, 12:12 PM
I use my steam cleaner on my wood floors all the time (all the time being once every 4-6 weeks. In between I use a swiffer dry cloth). Nothing has happened to them so far. I do it fast and don't stay in one area long though.

dukie41181
05-04-2010, 12:29 PM
I use my steam cleaner on my wood floors all the time (all the time being once every 4-6 weeks. In between I use a swiffer dry cloth). Nothing has happened to them so far. I do it fast and don't stay in one area long though.

Me too. No problems at all.

hellokitty
05-04-2010, 12:31 PM
You probably could with sealed HW floor. However, I would not if your HW floors are not sealed, since there are cracks in btwn the slats. Ours are not sealed.

edurnemk
05-04-2010, 10:22 PM
IIRC, the manual from my Eureka steam mop says to only used on sealed floors, and not to leave it more than X seconds on one spot. I've used it on hardwood without problems.

JamiMac
05-04-2010, 11:09 PM

:yeahthat: We use ours also and have not had any problems.

momof2girls
05-04-2010, 11:17 PM
I've heard conflicting info on this...I don't since water + wood is usually not good.

lchang25000
05-04-2010, 11:37 PM
I've heard conflicting info on this...I don't since water + wood is usually not good.

:yeahthat:

ThreeofUs
05-05-2010, 08:00 AM
You probably could with sealed HW floor. However, I would not if your HW floors are not sealed, since there are cracks in btwn the slats. Ours are not sealed.

Excellent point! Could result in warping, I guess. *shudder*

Corie
05-05-2010, 08:56 AM
I'd be too afraid to use a steam mop on hardwood floors, even if they were
sealed.

wellyes
05-05-2010, 10:02 AM
I do occassionally. I have the Eureka EnviroSteamer. Because I have a toddler, I love that it actually santizes the surfaces. I don't think I'd bother if I didn't have to worry about food / other stuff falling on the floor then getting put into a mouth.

If you don't use water, how DO you clean your hardwoods? I've used Murphy's Oil soap, vinegar & water and just plain water in the past..... all basically effective, but all involve water.