PDA

View Full Version : Our Fridge is Dying!

hobie
05-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Our 10yo fridge is dying, which is a bummer, so I need to pick out a new one ASAP. I'm limited to stores in town, which include Home Depot, Best Buy, and Sears Appliances. I only have today on-line to research and compare, and DH will pick one up on his way home after work, today.

I'm looking for:

* Side-by-side
* Water in door
* DH wants stainless finish...what type doesn't show fingerprints?
* Sub-Zero is not in our budget :)

Any suggestions and links?

smiles33
05-04-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't have a specific suggestion (as I researched French door/bottom freezer fridges only) but thought I'd add you should check to see if your state is doing the Cash for Appliance Clunkers. I know CA is and the website says only $4.5 million of the $32million available has been claimed so far. You can get $200 rebate if you buy certain approved fridges (lots of side-by-sides on the list, no French doors, a few standard bottom freezers) and recycle your old fridge. I did the research as I'm trying to get my parents to replace their 15+ year old fridge before it goes kaput.

Note that this might also mean that your local Best Buy/Home Depot/etc. is sold out of the approved ones on the list as the rebates are offered on a first-come, first-served basis after you prove that you have bought a new one & recycled the old fridge. Thus, there's been a big run on fridges in stock as people don't want to wait in case the rebates run out.

Good luck finding one!

hobie
05-04-2010, 12:16 PM
We are in CA...anything special I need to do to get the rebate?

elektra
05-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Are you sure it's totally dying? We just had our fridge/freezer fixed yesterday and it was a $99 fee to have someone come out, but then they (GE) offer an $80 credit (not much but covers a good portion of the diagnostics fee) if you end up deciding to buy a new fridge from them.
It might be something easily fixed, you know?
We did end up paying another $200 for parts and labor for the fix but it was going to work better than a whole new fridge for us at least.
Just a thought.

smiles33
05-04-2010, 12:33 PM
We are in CA...anything special I need to do to get the rebate?

Yes! Go to this website:

http://www.cash4appliances.org/

You'll see the list of approved refrigerators here:

http://www.cash4appliances.org/products/refrigerators.html

Then you can search by brand name or just look at side-by-sides. There's a form you have to fill out but some retailers are "approved Platinum vendors" (like Home Depot, Best Buy & Lowes) and they help with the recycling the old fridge.

The EASIEST way to look at these models is to go to Lowe's website. They actually puiled out all the fridges that qualify. Otherwise, you have to search manually on HD and BB's website (which is a PAIN).

Go to:

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Shop+Qualified+Government+Rebate+Products_65067 5283_ and enter your zip code. They will then pull up all the ones AND show you if it's in stock at your local store!

Babymakes3
05-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Stay away from Frigidaire and GE is my advice! Kenmore and Whirlpool are the top brands according to my repair guy and several people I talked to when I bought my fridge a couple months ago.
Best Buy had a really nice one too, I want to say it was samsung or something (i remember it made me think of tv's not fridges when I read the brand). Their prices weren't bad either!
Oh, also since you want the water/ice in door try to find one that has the ice tray that sits like a shelf in the freezer not one with the ice container hanging on inside the freezer door. Apparently they do not last very long, I was advised to stay away!

pakin
05-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Make sure that you measure the space for the fridge well. We bought our current fridge 2 years ago and it barely fit under the cabinet. The guy who delivered it said he had to take back TWO new fridges that morning because they didn't fit! Newer fridges can be huge.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

octmom
05-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Make sure that you measure the space for the fridge well. We bought our current fridge 2 years ago and it barely fit under the cabinet. The guy who delivered it said he had to take back TWO new fridges that morning because they didn't fit! Newer fridges can be huge.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

:yeahthat: We thought the one we ordered a year and a half ago would fit, but it was too tight (width wise) and we had the send it back and get a different one. Don't forget to allow clearance for the door(s) to open.

We wanted faux stainless (fingerprint smudge-free and magnetic), but when we had to switch to a different model for size, we had to go with real stainless. I wish we had the faux.

JoyNChrist
05-04-2010, 02:33 PM
I would definitely do the faux stainless. The fingerprints in our old house were nightmarish.

Are you a Consumer Reports member? I just got their latest kitchen appliance magazine, so if not feel free to PM me and I'll send you the list of their recommendations. :)

nov04
05-04-2010, 02:39 PM
We bought our home with a 'ikea by whirlpool' already installed. It's stainless steel but I don't really notice fingerprints. We're quite happy with it and we bought a whirpool dishwasher as a result. I second checking out CR.

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Kick it a few times before dismissing the old one. We had started shopping for a new fridge when our primary fridge died. Just on a whim dh whacked it and all of a sudden it sputtered and started working!!! Been going strong 3 years since now!

Beth

hobie
05-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I took DS#3 with me yesterday to look at fridges (he was very good at demonstrating how to open doors, and how to make the water work :) ). I'm thinking of going with a Kennmore from Sears (they have delivery to our home tomorrow, and removal of the old one).

Perhaps this one: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04658826000P?keyword=58826&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1