PDA

View Full Version : What is a good first scooter for a 5yo dd?

tmarie
05-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Dd is especially petite and hasn't used a scooter before, but she is begging for one for her birthday. Do I buy her one of the "first scooters" that has the two wheels in the back, or go straight to the regular ones? I'm so ignorant when it comes to this stuff...any advice would be appreciated!

tmarie

Wife_and_mommy
05-04-2010, 12:55 PM
If she's agreeable I'd stick with the 3-wheeled version. The 2-wheelers are notorious for ER visits. I think the age recommendation was 8 for them.

HIU8
05-04-2010, 01:15 PM
We just got DD a 3 wheeled version for her 3rd bday. She had been on one before and could maneuver it well. The two wheeled version seems to be for kids who are at least 8 or 9 and can balance really well.

luza
05-04-2010, 01:33 PM
We got DD a razor scooter soon after she turned 5 and she manages it fairly well (i.e. she balances for fairly long distances but can't do tricks). We started out with a helmet and knee and elbow pads, although to be honest we aren't terribly consistent about making her wear them now that it is a year later. We have a long narrow hallway and she did a lot of practicing there before we went outside, which seems to have also helped her balance and confidence.

KrisM
05-04-2010, 02:12 PM
DS1 got a Razor kick scooter (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266853)for his 5th birthday and after a couple days with pads on, he was great on it. He rarely falls now. He still wears a helmet on it. The recommended age is 6-10, but he was fine at age 5.

If you go with a 3 wheel version, make sure the wheels spin easily. We have a 3-wheel version and it's so slow it doesn't really go anywhere. It doesn't go down a hill without being pushed. The kids quickly got tired of that.

tmarie
05-04-2010, 02:40 PM
If you go with a 3 wheel version, make sure the wheels spin easily. We have a 3-wheel version and it's so slow it doesn't really go anywhere. It doesn't go down a hill without being pushed. The kids quickly got tired of that.

Thanks for the tip! Do you recommend any particular brand?

KrisM
05-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the tip! Do you recommend any particular brand?

I can't because ours are the slow kind :). I can tell you that our 3-wheel scooter is a Razor. I'd try reading the reviews on Amazon for different ones and see what they say about the wheels.

fauve01
05-04-2010, 02:58 PM
My dd got a Huffy Micro Scooter when she was 4 and she still loves it at 6.5. Last week, she decided she wanted a two-wheeled razor (b/c all her classmates have one i think) and she's trying hard to master it, but usually switches over to the three-wheeled scooter after about 10 minutes. all her friends like the 3-wheeled scooter too, when we take it to the park. :)

looks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Kick-Scooter-Oppenheim-Portfolio/dp/B000K22D9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1272999179&sr=8-1

I bought ours at TRU and i feel like it wasn't this expensive. maybe it's been updated or something since we got it? not sure.

good luck,
Anne

katydid1971
05-04-2010, 07:15 PM
I had a similar post a little bit ago and decided to order this scooter from walmart. I liked the micro scooter but since it says 3-5 I didn't want to spend $80 and only use it one year.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Razor-Cruiser-Scooter-Malibu/10929206

MissyAg94
05-04-2010, 09:15 PM
My 4yo DD had a three-wheel scooter that we just replaced with a two-wheel Razor (same one as KrisM.) She rides it very well and we haven't had any major accidents. She does wear a helmet. She also rides a bike w/o training wheels so it's possible that she has better-than-average balance.

bubbaray
05-04-2010, 09:19 PM
DD#1 got a Razor 2-wheeled scooter for her 6th b-day. She uses a helmet. She previously had a 3 wheeled scooter, but she got that when she was 3 I think. I don't think I'd buy a 3 wheeled scooter for a 5yo.

o_mom
05-05-2010, 08:09 AM
DS2 learned on a 2-wheel Razor just before he turned 3 (he just went out and did it on his own). DS3 is just starting to use the 2-wheel one as well. I honestly can't remember any of them really crashing and DS1 is not very coordinated. They do wear helmets, though. They don't do tricks or anything, just up and down the sidewalk and driveway.

I would not get a 3-wheel one for a 5 yo. Look for the Razor A at Target/Walmart/BRU - they are regularly around $30, frequent sales for $25 and every few months they are $20 or less.