PDA

View Full Version : Housewarming Registries?

Wife_and_mommy
05-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Ever heard of them? I just received an evite with the following: "*registered at Target and Bed Bath & Beyond GC to Home Depot are good too"

I know know whether to :ROTFLMAO: or :47:. At the moment, I'm doing a bit of both.

TwinFoxes
05-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't think they're uncommon. Including the info in the invite is impolite, just as it would be for a wedding.

cuca_
05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Ever heard of them? I just received an evite with the following: "*registered at Target and Bed Bath & Beyond GC to Home Depot are good too"

I know know whether to :ROTFLMAO: or :47:. At the moment, I'm doing a bit of both.

Really a registry for a housewarming?! I'm :47: too! This seems pretty greedy to me!

catroddick
05-04-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm not Ok with it.

awoodm
05-04-2010, 02:29 PM
My friend moved out for the first time with her SO and she did register. The part I found tacky was that in addition to bringing a gift, it was expected that we also bring a dish and a recipe card for her collection. I felt like I was beinging dictated too much. I wouldn't have minded either alone, but both things just seemed like a lot. And, I was traveling over 2 hours just to come so, IMHO, it was too much!

lmh2402
05-04-2010, 02:32 PM
LOL! i've not encountered this yet

i would defintely be :rotflmao: if i got an invite with that included

nov04
05-04-2010, 02:36 PM
the housewarming registry would definitely raise my eyebrows. Putting the info in an invite wouldn't work at all for me!!!!

citymama
05-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Yikes - not cool. I haven't heard of this one!

tmarie
05-04-2010, 02:39 PM
wow. i find that very distasteful!

tmarie

Melaine
05-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Oh my goodness. No way is that appropriate.

wellyes
05-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Bad taste times two: the registry and the invite mention. Make that times three since a request for gift cards is uber-tacky.

I especially like the "are good too" as opposed to "would be greatly appreciated". It kind has a the-guy-wrote-this vibe to it. Not that that's an excuse.

infomama
05-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Bad taste times two: the registry and the invite mention. Make that times three since a request for gift cards is uber-tacky.

I especially like the "are good too" as opposed to "would be greatly appreciated". It kind has a the-guy-wrote-this vibe to it. Not that that's an excuse.
:yeahthat:

cvanbrunt
05-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Wow. Just wow. Wow. Seriously? Huh. I am stumped for a word that describes how tacky that is. I'll have to ponder what le mot juste is to describe this. HHhhhmmmmm......

aa2mama
05-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Tacky, tacky, tacky!!! I would be sending my regrets to that one. Sounds like they are having the party just to have people buy them stuff. ETA: Wait, are they even having a housewarming party? If not, that seems even worse!

momof2girls
05-04-2010, 03:03 PM

I am so tired of all the registries! Wedding, baby (sometimes 2), kids have them at Learning Express for their b-days, and now this. It gets to be a little much gimme gimme gimme!

TwinFoxes
05-04-2010, 03:38 PM
People have really never heard of housewarming registries? I'm really surprised. Let me say I didn't have one, it's NMS. But I've definitely heard of them and wasn't offended by them any more than any other registry. Other than including the info in the invite, why is this worse than a baby registry?

PMJ
05-04-2010, 03:43 PM

that is crazy!!!

Laurel
05-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Tacky. The only exception I would possibly make in thinking this was a super tacky gift-grab is for a couple who a. received no wedding gifts or b. can't legally get married.

MamaMolly
05-04-2010, 03:48 PM
OMG :eek: super duper tacky.

wellyes
05-04-2010, 03:56 PM
People have really never heard of housewarming registries? I'm really surprised. Let me say I didn't have one, it's NMS. But I've definitely heard of them and wasn't offended by them any more than any other registry. Other than including the info in the invite, why is this worse than a baby registry?

Having a baby = huge life change
Getting married = a lifetime milestone to celebrate with friends and family
Moving to a new place = excuse to invite friends over for some drinks

Housewarming gifts to me are usually a plant, a bottle of wine, a board game, and other "hostess gift" type items. When we bought our first house our families gave us generous checks but I'd never expect friends to offer a gift at that level.

The exception I could see is two people moving in together for whom marriage is not an option, who are treating the housewarming as something bigger than "we got a new place".

lmh2402
05-04-2010, 03:59 PM

honestly, i've really never heard of this

i personally wouldn't say it even comes close to equating to a baby registry. or a wedding registry

to me, babies and weddings are major life events that family & friends celebrate with you

buying a home is exciting and a major event...but it's your own event...and you can/should have a party for sure. but asking for specific gifts is just weird and tacky to me

i would equate it to setting up a wardrobe registry if you got a new job - "hey, i landed a sweet new gig and need some new clothes. come have drinks to celebrate and by the way, i'm a size 6/8 and a size 9 shoe. or gift cards to nordstrom’s are ok too."

SM23Mama21
05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
honestly, i've really never heard of this

i personally wouldn't say it even comes close to equating to a baby registry. or a wedding registry

to me, babies and weddings are major life events that family & friends celebrate with you

buying a home is exciting and a major event...but it's your own event...and you can/should have a party for sure. but asking for specific gifts is just weird and tacky to me

i would equate it to setting up a wardrobe registry if you got a new job - "hey, i landed a sweet new gig and need some new clothes. come have drinks to celebrate and by the way, i'm a size 6/8 and a size 9 shoe. or gift cards to nordstrom’s are ok too."

:yeahthat: :hysterical:

TwinFoxes
05-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Ok, the wardrobe registry is hilarious. ;)

The way I look at it, I'd probably buy a $30 bottle of wine for someone. If they registered for a $30 toaster, I'd be happy to get that instead. I would still spend the same amount, I wouldn't get them a bigger gift. I read so many posts about "what should I buy so and so" that registries seem practical to me. ITA that including the registry info in the invite is ALWAYS tacky.

One of the options on PBKs registry is housewarming, I believe.

cvanbrunt
05-04-2010, 04:41 PM

Nice one.

We are currently having our attic turned into finished livable space. I think I'll register for furniture at Ethan Allen, and for electronics at Best Buy. Any suggestions where I should register for an elliptical and free weights?

♥ms.pacman♥
05-04-2010, 05:06 PM

i have no prob with registries, but i HATE when ppl blatantly mention them in the actual invites. i guess i'm super old-school, but i find any mention of registries/gifts in invitations (wedding, baby showers, birthday parties, housewarming) to be tacky and distasteful, because it makes it seem like the party is more of a gift grab than a celebration. my DH's side of the family sees no problem with it though..i've gotten invites to kids bday parties that on the bottom say "Johnny is a size XXX and likes YYY character from ZZZ movie". ugh. yeah i know people will say "but that way people will get what he likes!!". sure, but i refuse to compromise etiquette just to ensure my kid will get the "right" gifts.

tiapam
05-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Having a baby = huge life change
Getting married = a lifetime milestone to celebrate with friends and family
Moving to a new place = excuse to invite friends over for some drinks

Housewarming gifts to me are usually a plant, a bottle of wine, a board game, and other "hostess gift" type items. When we bought our first house our families gave us generous checks but I'd never expect friends to offer a gift at that level.

The exception I could see is two people moving in together for whom marriage is not an option, who are treating the housewarming as something bigger than "we got a new place".

Well, for some people this *is* the biggest life change they will have. Because they didn't get married or have babies, for whatever reason. My sister, who has never married or had children (but would have liked to do both), finally bought her first place at 40 years old. She lived in crappy apartments with roommates until then. She did not register but a friend in the same boat did and I did not find it tacky. I actually feel sad that my sis never got a nice bunch of pretty new things just for her. She is a great friend and sister and is definitely deserving of a shower of gifts.

elizabethkott
05-04-2010, 07:22 PM
I don't have a problem with registering for things you need, BUT I do have an issue with putting it on an invitation.
Perhaps a nice copy of this will make a good housewarming gift?
http://www.amazon.com/Emily-Posts-Etiquette-Thumb-Indexed/dp/0066209579/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273014927&sr=8-1

sste
05-04-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't even like housewarming parties . . . and the registry, yikes, words fail! The whole dynamic of a housewarming party tends ime to turn more into let me show off my new house rather than I would love for you to enjoy our new space with us. I much prefer the cookout or pool party or other gathering that is not entitled "houswarming" and is focused on providing an enjoyable experience for the guests rather than gifts/accolades for the hosts.

Corie
05-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I would buy them a Miss Manners etiquette book.

JoyNChrist
05-04-2010, 09:44 PM

It's pretty common here and doesn't really bother me. :shrug: But it's pretty common to include registry/gift information in baby/bridal shower invitations and birthday party invites too, so maybe I'm just used to it.

I don't like gift information included on wedding invitations, and am kind of iffy about it for birthday parties, but I actually DO like getting the registry in a shower invitation (baby or bridal). I mean, the whole point of the party is the "shower" the recipient with gifts, ya know? I don't see any reason to pretend like it's not on the invitation.

The housewarming party I can go either way on...if the couple is throwing the party themselves, it's a big no no. If it's being thrown FOR them by someone else, well, then the gift stuff wouldn't bug me as much. The wording about the gift cards is really screwed up though.

KpbS
05-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I don't even like housewarming parties . . . and the registry, yikes, words fail! The whole dynamic of a housewarming party tends ime to turn more into let me show off my new house rather than I would love for you to enjoy our new space with us. I much prefer the cookout or pool party or other gathering that is not entitled "houswarming" and is focused on providing an enjoyable experience for the guests rather than gifts/accolades for the hosts.

:yeahthat: Taaaacky imo. Have a low key party and if your closest friends want to bring a stack of new dish towels, a bottle of wine, or a plate of cookies good for them.

fumofu
05-04-2010, 09:48 PM
My sister and BIL had their housewarming/wedding reception at their new house. It was a great idea! and a wonderful day. The entire affair was very laidback. The invitation did not mention any registries. I actually didn't know she was registered until long after the fact.

I had a classmate in grad school that mentioned her BBB registry in her housewarming invitation. It was every day tools, nothing extravagant. It really was just an idea list if you had meant to bring something over. So I bought her a jar opener for under $10 off of her list and some flowers!

I would not be pressured to buy anything extravagant. Get something in the price range that you originally had planned to spend.

TwinFoxes
05-04-2010, 09:57 PM
My sister and BIL had their housewarming/wedding reception at their new house. It was a great idea! and a wonderful day. The entire affair was very laidback. The invitation did not mention any registries. I actually didn't know she was registered until long after the fact.

I had a classmate in grad school that mentioned her BBB registry in her housewarming invitation. It was every day tools, nothing extravagant. It really was just an idea list if you had meant to bring something over. So I bought her a jar opener for under $10 off of her list and some flowers!

I would not be pressured to buy anything extravagant. Get something in the price range that you originally had planned to spend.

This is my last post on this, I SWEAR, but I'm so glad others have at least HEARD of this before. I was starting to think I was living in some alternate universe!