PDA

View Full Version : How Come No One Has Big Wheels Anymore?

Kindra178
05-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Growing up, I spent countless hours on a Big Wheel and a lever pedal type thing called a Red Baron. How come no one has one anymore? It seems they would be way better to ride than a trike because they are less tippy and lighter. I also love balance bikes, so I would focus my resources there and find a Big Wheel. Any thoughts?

elliput
05-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Radio Flyer makes a big wheel type bike http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2646214

The Original Big Wheel http://www.originalbigwheel.com/

tmahanes
05-04-2010, 03:20 PM
ABSOLUTELY loved my Big Wheel.... and so did DH. He says he can't wait til DS is big enough for one.... but i haven't looked to see if anyone still sells them.... if we can't find one, DH is going to be so depressed!

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2010, 03:27 PM
I thought I saw them at Target?

Beth

endlessheather
05-04-2010, 03:30 PM
The closest things are the trikes now. There's a few on amazon that are similar but to get the original Big Wheel, it'll cost ya :(

Kindra178
05-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the website. I will definitely be buying two mini big wheels. $54 assembled! Seems like a great way to master pedaling and steering, without the tippiness of a radioflyer OR the heaviness of that stupid Kettler. I know my guys (almost 20 mos) can't pedal now, but I would hate to buy these for their birthday in September and miss the whole summer of riding. I will be passing down a balance bike next summer and getting one new one too, and getting my oldest a real bike (maybe trek float) when he turns 5 next year, so it seems these would be a great cheap(er) alternative.

wellyes
05-04-2010, 03:38 PM
My guess is that they're less popular because it takes less skill to use them & therefore it is a bit easier to get in over your head. My primary memories of my big wheel were of having "road rash" from all the crashing I did. Don't get me wrong - those are happy memories!

arivecchi
05-04-2010, 03:40 PM
My primary memories of my big wheel were of having "road rash" from all the crashing I did. Don't get me wrong - those are happy memories!:ROTFLMAO:

DH really wanted one for the kiddos, but I did not want one since we live in the city. I'd be all over one if we had space to use one. They are great!

Gena
05-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Radio Flyer makes a big wheel type bike http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2646214

The Original Big Wheel http://www.originalbigwheel.com/

The "Original" Big Wheel is a piece of junk, IMO. DH and I were thoroughly disappointed in this product. We both loved our Big Wheels as kids and wanted DS to have the same thing. The so-called Original Big Wheel may use the same molds, but the material is far inferior. DS wore out the front wheel in a couple of months.

The Radio Flyer Big Flyer, however, is a great product. We have been thrilled with it. It is very sturdy, well made, and the front wheel is reinforced. DS rides this several times a day (outside in good weather, in the basement in bad weather) and it's holding up wonderfully.

maydaymommy
05-04-2010, 03:47 PM
I think the safety issues have made them less prevalent.

Kids move fast in them, they are LOW down, cars can't see them = very bad combo.

At least on a trike a kid is a teensy bit higher.

Like the flag on the RF one.

vonfirmath
05-04-2010, 05:09 PM
My in-laws say they are bringing a "big wheel" for our son at memorial day. Unsure exactly what that means.

KrisM
05-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I think they're harder for kids to pedal. DS didn't get into his until age 5 or so. The weight distribution and plastic wheel made it too easy to slip the wheel and not go anywhere.

hellokitty
05-04-2010, 06:31 PM
My brothers and I used to love our big wheel. Half of the fun was going super fast and then having it skid before finally stopping. I can see why they aren't as common as before b/c of safety issues, but it was probably our favorite ride on toy as kids. I think that the big wheels are easier for kids to learn how to pedal. DS1 could not figure out how to pedal even a TRIKE (we got the kettler too, which is even more annoying since it cost so much) until he went to preschool last yr and they have a big wheel and he finally figured out how to pedal using the big wheel.

nellonello
05-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I think they're harder for kids to pedal. DS didn't get into his until age 5 or so. The weight distribution and plastic wheel made it too easy to slip the wheel and not go anywhere.

I agree. We had one for my son and he never really could master it. By the time he was big enough to be good at it he wanted a bike like the big kids.

Gena
05-04-2010, 07:37 PM

That's interesting. We had the opposite experience with DS. We tried for 2.5 years to teach him to pedal a trike and he could never do it. The OT finally suggested a big wheel and said that the BW is easier because the pedals are up front. Sue enough, when DS got a BW he mastered it in a matter of days.

Although a poor quality one will have a lot of slippage in the front wheel. This is another reason we like the Radio Flyer Big Flyer.

KrisM
05-04-2010, 07:57 PM
That's interesting. We had the opposite experience with DS. We tried for 2.5 years to teach him to pedal a trike and he could never do it. The OT finally suggested a big wheel and said that the BW is easier because the pedals are up front. Sue enough, when DS got a BW he mastered it in a matter of days.

Although a poor quality one will have a lot of slippage in the front wheel. This is another reason we like the Radio Flyer Big Flyer.

Maybe it's just the one we have. His is the Original Big Wheel, linked to above. We have it still, but it rarely gets used. But, DS1 has been on a 2-wheel bike since age 4 and DD has been since 3.5, so those are their preferred bikes.

zag95
05-04-2010, 11:05 PM
We have a Schwinn Trike that is lower to the ground- it is Big Wheel-esque! DD loves it and I don't worry as much about tipping as with a regular trike.

Remember when your big wheel in the front started to "break down" and you had to pedal like crazy to even get it going..... and then there was the "clump, clump" sound where it was broken down and not as rounded, due the the plastic "collapsing" inward? Ahhhhh those were the days! My brother and I loved our big wheels- and using that hand break to spin!

:ROTFLMAO:

Kindra178
05-04-2010, 11:15 PM
i was interested in the roadster but I am worried that it's heavy.

Kindra178
06-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Follow up - I got the baby big wheels and they aren't that great. There are little plastic pieces that hit the back wheel so they make a ton of noise AND it prevents them from going very well. I really thought these would be great as a lightweight push along with feet type thing and then transition to pedaling. They do not work as a push along with feet.