PDA

View Full Version : Booking flight (maybe) what's the deal with the two weeks prior thing?

elektra
05-04-2010, 03:34 PM
I have a trip I might do towards the end of May but a lot of the details are still TBD.
Usually when I plan a trip, it's either way in advance or at the last minute through work where I barely look at the cost or trip terms.
But isn't there something where you are supposed to book at least two weeks out? What happens if you book right before? Is it that you can't cancel? Rates go way up?

I used to know the answer to this but my brain just doesn't have the capacity it used to I think.

PearlsMom
05-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Generally, I think it's a month beforehand that flight prices go way up; maybe 2 weeks is another threshold for price bumps. You can always buy a refundable ticket, and it will always be more expensive than a non-refundable one.

OTOH, sometimes you can get great deals last minute, depending on the route.

I really like www.kayak.com to search for the best fares/cheapest days to fly, especially if you have some flexibility. (It's an aggregator that pulls in info from airline websites as well as sites like Orbitz and Travelocity - you can't book on Kayak but they can tell you where to go to get the best deal.)

marge234
05-04-2010, 04:17 PM
I also like Kayak.

On Southwest you don't lose your money if you have to change your plans. If you get a discounted fare and don't use it, you can apply the funds to another ticket, I think for up to a year. If you buy a full fare ticket you can get a refund. Also they don't charge a fee if you change flights. If you change, you pay the difference in cost for the new ticket. And they don't charge for bags.

elektra
05-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks. And I like Kayak too. I have been checking the fares that way. I have the iphone app too. :)