PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone take Seasonique?

DrSally
05-04-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm looking into BC options--either a combo pill or Minera. Not sure if I'm ready for a Mineara (still a small chance we might want another in the next year or so). I love the idea of having fewer periods. While on the BCP, I don't feel it's necesary to have a "hormone withdrawl" induced period just to reassure myself that everything is working properly or that I'm not pregnant. Is anyone on Seasonique (levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol), and have you had any issues with it.

momof2girls
05-04-2010, 03:56 PM
I tried it for only about a month and it gave me stomach cramps. I am usually not affected by meds but this one made me so uncomfortable I chose to have a monthly period than deal with the cramps. OTOH some of my friends are on it and love it.

Andi98989
05-04-2010, 04:03 PM
SIL has been on it a few years and loves it.

DrSally
05-04-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm mostly concerned with: breakthrough bleeding, acne (already a battle), and weight gain (trying to lose weight here, don't need anything working against me). Good to hear it works well for some people.

tylersmama
05-04-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm on a generic version now b/c I'm on a high deductible insurance plan that doesn't pay for it, but I've been taking it for probably two years. Love it. I haven't really had much breakthrough bleeding, just some very occasional and very light spotting. I also haven't had any weight gain or acne issues.

DrSally
05-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm on a generic version now b/c I'm on a high deductible insurance plan that doesn't pay for it, but I've been taking it for probably two years. Love it. I haven't really had much breakthrough bleeding, just some very occasional and very light spotting. I also haven't had any weight gain or acne issues.

:thumbsup:

Cam&Clay
05-04-2010, 05:59 PM
I took it for about a year. No problems at all. Loved it!

maybeebaby08
05-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I just stopped the generic version Jolessa because I didn't like it. I was on BC for ten years before DD and was taking them back to back before it was popular, and never had a problem with break through bleeding or weight issues. That being said the first week on it, I had break through bleeding the whole week and headaches as well. I also couldn't lose weight on it either. It also made me nauseous. I've heard great things about the name brand though, so if your insurance covers it, maybe that one would be better?

AshleyAnn
05-04-2010, 07:43 PM
I took seasonale (same drug essentially - a generic for seasonale came out so the drug co came out with a new version to drive profit :() for 18 months. It was great for a long time. Some time after a year I started to have thick dark periods and then the first time I'd skip a period in each pack I'd have bad PMS and lots of cramps. I don't recall any breakthrough bleeding and I didn't gain weight or anything negative until the periods got icky. We decided to got the natural family planning route then get pregnant and once we had DD I decided to go back to NFP (well presently we're practicing the abstinence by Army seperation) but i did consider going back on seasonale.

wildfire
05-05-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm on Seasonique. I do have some break through bleeding, but it's usually just minor spotting. Nothing I'm really worried about. I started off on the generic of Seasonale, Jolessa, and I essentially had my period for a month, starting from when my period should have started. It sucked. Sometimes light but usually pretty moderate. The spotting with Seasonique is usually just on the TP so very minor (for me). My body is also still adjusting, I expect it to get better in time. My period was also much lighter than usual, which is a HUGE bonus for me.

The change between Seasonale and Seasonique is there are different ingredients in the Placebos that are supposed to help with breakthrough bleeding, but I haven't been on it long enough to test that. I have gained weight, but some of that I can also attribute to weaning, a really poor diet, and stress. Hard to say what's from the BCP.

I was having severe mood swings due to the progesterone in my cycle after ovulation and BCPs have really helped with that.