PDA

View Full Version : Baby growth question - 7-12 mos (x-post from baby 411)

YouAreTheFocus
05-04-2010, 04:08 PM
I am wondering if growth slows down a LOT from 7 -12 mos?

My baby is now 7 mos old and 18 lbs / 27.5 in. At birth he was 6 lbs 13 oz / 20 in. If he is going to be 3x his birth weight & 1.5x his birth length at 12 mos, that would be 20 lbs 7 oz / 30 in. Is he really only going to grow a couple lbs and a couple inches in the next 5 mos?

Thanks!

PS-Hope it is ok to x-post, I noticed there is a lot more activity over here!

catpagmo
05-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Well, all babies grow differently. However, that was/is the case for my DS. He was 7lbs 2oz at birth, and gained pretty quickly for the first 7 months, or so. Fast forward to his 12 month well baby check up, and he only weighed 18 lbs. I'm not sure how much he weighs now, at 14 months, but he is super tiny (not even on the growth charts). He eats everything in sight, too.

OTOH, my DD grew much faster, and was always in the 50th-75th percentile, and still is. It's hard to say how much they will grow, but if you're concerned, I'd ask your ped.

Indianamom2
05-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Well, all babies grow differently. However, that was/is the case for my DS. He was 7lbs 2oz at birth, and gained pretty quickly for the first 7 months, or so. Fast forward to his 12 month well baby check up, and he only weighed 18 lbs. I'm not sure how much he weighs now, at 14 months, but he is super tiny (not even on the growth charts). He eats everything in sight, too.

OTOH, my DD grew much faster, and was always in the 50th-75th percentile, and still is. It's hard to say how much they will grow, but if you're concerned, I'd ask your ped.

:yeahthat:

This is very similar to my experience. My Ds #2 is tiny. He's maybe 17 lbs. at 9.5 months. He's been a slow grower all along. DD#1 was and still is off the charts. We could hardly keep her in clothes. Both eat like horses!

I will say that weight gain can slow in the later months of the first year if your little one is particularly mobile. Especially if he/she starts walking before the first birthday, weight gain can seem slow down.

As long as your baby is reaching milestones on time and staying close to his/her own growth curve, I wouldn't be too concerned.

YouAreTheFocus
05-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks to you both for your input! He has stayed in the 25th % for weight and 50th % for height pretty much since birth, so he is growing in his own curve, as you mentioned. I had been thinking about the "triple the birth weight in the first year" thing, and realized he is already only 2-3 lbs away from tripling his weight. It was just strange to think he might only grow 2-3 lbs in 5 mos!

alexmommy
05-04-2010, 05:28 PM
That's been our experience. DS was 7 lbs @ birth, 19 @ 9 mo checkup, almost 16 (I think) @ 6 mo, and now, a week from his 1st bday, we're estimating he's about 21 lbs. He too is 50% for weight and 24% for height. He eats a lot, but burns a lot of through crawling/cruising. He's losing his cute thigh fat folds.

Snow mom
05-04-2010, 05:45 PM
I think the "triple birth weight by 1 year" is a goal, not an exact. Some kiddos do it, others don't. I wouldn't worry that he goes over that, and honestly I wouldn't worry even if he doesn't make it. My DD was 7 lbs, 8 oz at birth and just recently (maybe between 16-17 months) hit 20 lbs. She likely won't reach the "triple birth weight" until after 18 months. She was HUGE the first 3 months of her life (in the 75th to 90th percentile) but then fell off steeply. It really doesn't worry me because we expect her to be smallish based on our genetics. My pedi has never even batted an eye about it.

KrisM
05-04-2010, 05:59 PM
I think the "triple birth weight by 1 year" is a goal, not an exact. Some kiddos do it, others don't. I wouldn't worry that he goes over that, and honestly I wouldn't worry even if he doesn't make it. My DD was 7 lbs, 8 oz at birth and just recently (maybe between 16-17 months) hit 20 lbs. She likely won't reach the "triple birth weight" until after 18 months. She was HUGE the first 3 months of her life (in the 75th to 90th percentile) but then fell off steeply. It really doesn't worry me because we expect her to be smallish based on our genetics. My pedi has never even batted an eye about it.

DS1 was 9lbs 6 oz at birth, 19 lbs at 6 months and 24 lbs at 12 months. Totally normal and fine and not triple his birth weight.

Katigre
05-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Yes, growth slows down the second half of the first year - especially in bf babies.

crl
05-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Have you looked at the growth charts? That might give you a reasonable guess. The CDC website has them.

Catherine