PDA

View Full Version : Would You Still Use This?

Indianamom2
05-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Today, I finally tackled our fantastically over-stuffed narrow closet pantry. The difference between before and after was both embarassing and wonderful. Imagine...I actually know what I have!

The questions that remain are:

1. Does white vinegar in a glass bottle go bad? I couldn't find an expiration date on the bottle. It shouldn't be any older than about 6 years old (worst case, probably not that old!). Even if you wouldn't use it in a recipe, what about for cleaning?

2. Would you still use a package (or two) of unopened spaghetti that expired in February 2010?

3. What should I do with unopened bottles of wine (various vintages/types)? Neither Dh nor I, nor anyone in our families, drink...but Dh's clients often send a bottle of wine as a thank you for work he has done. I hate to just throw them out (especially not knowing if they're particularly good vintages or...whatever!) but I also don't usually cook with them. Any suggestions?

JBaxter
05-04-2010, 04:40 PM
White vinegar... Yes cooking or cleaning ( use instead of fabric softener)

Dry pasta -- yes but soon

Wine thats a tuffy Ask around ( moms group etc) See if anyone wants it for drinking/cooking

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2010, 04:49 PM
vinegar- no worries
pasta- heck, I have never bothered looking at an expiration date on that. Why would it go bad? I'd use it. It's barely expired. I wouldn't be in a rush either.
wine- have a dinner party

Beth

JoyNChrist
05-04-2010, 07:07 PM
I'd use both the vinegar and pasta. The wine you can send to me in about...5 months. ;)

Seriously though, do any of your friends drink wine? I'm sure they'd love the gift. Or just hang on to them and use them as hostess gifts in the future.

Melaine
05-04-2010, 07:15 PM
I would be fine using the vinegar and the pasta. I'm sure you'll find someone to take the wine off your hands!

momof2girls
05-04-2010, 07:29 PM
I would def use the pasta and vinegar. I think I've cooked pasta older than Feb 2010 recently...we're all still alive.

elektra
05-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I would def use the pasta and vinegar. I think I've cooked pasta older than Feb 2010 recently...we're all still alive.
Same here.
DH's family doesn't really drink much either so they like to regift their wine to me. :love-retry:
I have actually regifted wine too when I have been pregnant. You gotta have someone to give it to! Or I can PM you my address. ;)

mommylamb
05-04-2010, 07:36 PM
3. What should I do with unopened bottles of wine (various vintages/types)? Neither Dh nor I, nor anyone in our families, drink...but Dh's clients often send a bottle of wine as a thank you for work he has done. I hate to just throw them out (especially not knowing if they're particularly good vintages or...whatever!) but I also don't usually cook with them. Any suggestions?

Send them to me. ;)

salsah
05-04-2010, 07:47 PM
absolutely use the pasta and vinegar. if they look the same and smell the same as new, then they are probably fine.

boolady
05-04-2010, 07:51 PM
I would use the vinegar and the pasta (heck, I'd use dry pasta that expired in February 2009) and maybe use the wine as gifts?

wellyes
05-04-2010, 08:10 PM
With the wine, if he works in an office, I'd maybe bring them in there as gifts to other employees (particularly anyone who works under him). They're client gifts after all. You guys won't miss it and it'd definitely be appreciated.

ChristinaLucia
05-04-2010, 08:50 PM
I am super fussy about expiration dates. That being said, I would use the vinegar in my rinse cycle for laundry. I would use the pasta, but I would do it asap just because.

The wine I would probably try to give to friends with a disclaimer that it was a gift and I didn't know anything about it. I have found that wine can turn really quickly if not stored properly. My FIL stores his in his pantry and it gets pretty cold in the winter and warmer in summer and we always end up dumping out bottles.