PDA

View Full Version : canker sores in kids

DrSally
05-04-2010, 04:46 PM
DS ate his 2nd piece of gum a few days ago (Trident extra care). Maybe that day or a day later, he complained his upper gum hurt (it looked irritated). When I brushed his teeth last night, he screamed in pain, some blood came out, and a little dent/tear in his gum in that same spot was evident. Today, it looks like a canker sore. Wondering if really minty gum can cause canker sores in kids? Is adult gum too strong for kids?

sariana
05-04-2010, 05:53 PM
I don't know about the mint. Is it possible he bit his lip?

Aishe
05-04-2010, 06:33 PM
I've suffered from canker sores since I was a child. Chewing gum has always resulted in a sore for me. I don't think it's the flavoring of the gum so much as just the motion of chewing repeatedly. Things can just get rubbed and irritated that way, kwim? Zilactin is the most effective treatment I've found for them. Hope it heals quickly for him.

DrSally
05-04-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't know about the mint. Is it possible he bit his lip?

It's on the very top of his gum, so he couldn't have bit there.

DrSally
05-04-2010, 06:46 PM
I've suffered from canker sores since I was a child. Chewing gum has always resulted in a sore for me. I don't think it's the flavoring of the gum so much as just the motion of chewing repeatedly. Things can just get rubbed and irritated that way, kwim? Zilactin is the most effective treatment I've found for them. Hope it heals quickly for him.

Interesting, thanks. We'll prob lay off the gum for awhile.

chlobo
05-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I'll just add the a few weeks ago DD fell & cut her lip pretty badly on the inside. It seemed fine the next day but 2 or 3 days later she had what looked like a canker sore. I believe the sore developed during the healing process, although I have no idea if this is normal or not.

I mention this since you mentioned that he had a tear & a little blood. Perhaps it was the same thing as my DD where it developed during the healing process.

Kymberley
05-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Just want to add to watch out for cinnamon flavor gum/candy. Sometimes, children can be very sensitive to it, and it definitely can cause canker sores.

LMPC
05-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Ugh, I feel for your DC! I had canker sores as a kid and they stink! My mom made me rinse with warmish, salty-ish water a couple times a day. Always did the trick!

urquie
05-04-2010, 08:35 PM
peroxyl gel and peroxyl mouth rinse are great for canker soars. even better is the amazing prescription "triamcinolone acetonide" and it's super cheap!

also stay away from toothpastes with sodium lauryl sulfate... that ingredient will irritate the soar. rembrandt (http://www.amazon.com/Rembrandt-Whitening-Canker-Toothpaste-Fluoride/dp/B000G0IQIC)makes one that is for canker soars... it's the only kind i can use.

DrSally
05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks, guys. It is true, he may have injured the gum area somehow, by bumping into something? He got something similar on his lip (the healing process made it look like a canker sore, like pp said) when we were throwing foam airplanes back and forth and it hit him right in the mouth (it had a hard tip). I did have him rinse with warm saltwater and am *very* careful brushing that area. I felt so bad when I basically tore it off brushing his teeth.

sullivanshops
05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
I second the Rembrandt-it's the only kind I use too! And if it still hurts, I've found that the Orabase-B paste works really well. Use a Q-tip to dry the area a bit and then use it to apply the paste. This is especially helpful to protect the area prior to eating. Hope your little one feels better soon!