PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Loser question

DrSally
05-04-2010, 09:00 PM
I usually don't watch this show, but was intrigued by the makeovers. I feel so happy for the people--they look so great. It's amazing what they accomplished in 4 weeks. Anyway, why do they have them eating multigrain Cheerios? I know they are prob a sponsor, but why not regular cheerios?

ETA: Oops, I meant 4 months (16 weeks).

wellyes
05-04-2010, 09:41 PM
FWIW I've heard just awful things about that show. It promotes a low calorie but not particularly *healthy* diet based on sponsors, even though people do watch for health tips & not just the drama. And of course encouraging very strenuous exercise for the morbidly obese has always been controversial. There was just a NY times article about it - which implied that former contestants have had health problems or engaged in risky behavior but are legally unable to talk about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/business/media/25loser.html

DebbieJ
05-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm sure it was just product placement. So many people record their shows to watch later and FF through commericals--they've now found a way to include the commercials right in the show!

DrSally
05-04-2010, 10:13 PM
FWIW I've heard just awful things about that show. It promotes a low calorie but not particularly *healthy* diet based on sponsors, even though people do watch for health tips & not just the drama. And of course encouraging very strenuous exercise for the morbidly obese has always been controversial. There was just a NY times article about it - which implied that former contestants have had health problems or engaged in risky behavior but are legally unable to talk about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/business/media/25loser.html

Interesting....

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm sure it was just product placement. So many people record their shows to watch later and FF through commericals--they've now found a way to include the commercials right in the show!

Dh and I always wish we could do a drinking game when it is product placement time. One time they got 3 plugs in at once (make x food, store in x storage container, take along in x bag or something like that). I roll my eyes and continue along. From what I have seen they have healthy diets on there. When they aren't hawking foods they show the contestants steaming veggies, poaching fish... Nothing wrong with that. They lose the weight because they aim for like 4000 calories of exercise/ day! They one time said the calorie burn goal for one of the heavier contestants and it was in that range. They eat a low calorie, like 1500, diet paired with that exercise.

FYI- they have been at it for closer to 4+ months not weeks.

I really enjoy the show.

Beth

Andi98989
05-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Yup, it was 16 weeks from start to makeovers. I don't think that they do anything too dangerous on the show; they've got tons of medical staff around, monitor everyone closely, and they do balance diet and exercise.

If nothing else, the show is a great motivator. The blue and yellow teams got kicked off after 1 week and worked out at home and were able to do incredible things. Incredible. The yellow team is so inspiring to me. If they can do that, I can shake my 10 lbs.

Their product placement is awful, though. Just awful. DH and I groan every time it comes up. As for my multi-grain Cheerios instead of regular ... there was a commercial on that says studies show people who eat more whole grains are healthier.

SASM
05-05-2010, 07:21 AM
I really like this show. I haven't watched previous seasons so it is still very new to me, but I really like this show, minus the commercial plugs. It it is incredibly motivating. I was in tears at the end of last night's episode when I saw Sam's current life. :) I found so much inspiration in Stephanie...I hope they stay together...very sweet. :). I still haven't been able to erase last week's episode as i have gone back to it a couple times already for running motivation. If they can do it, I most certainly can...no complaints!!

DebbieJ
05-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Sam is HOT HOT HOT!!!!

egoldber
05-05-2010, 08:47 AM
I've actually never seen this show (I've never watched DWTS or American Idol either :duck: ) but I was curious so I went to the website. The before and after photos were pretty amazing, but I think that over 16 weeks, working out intensely with a personal trainer and having someone guide all your nutrition choices, then I think those results are pretty reasonable. I think it shows what people can do when they are in that place to be really motivated and ready to make substantial and dramatic changes.

Have they ever done a long term retrosepctive on their contestants? It would be interesting to see who has managed to keep to their new lifestyle for more than a year.

Corie
05-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Have they ever done a long term retrosepctive on their contestants? It would be interesting to see who has managed to keep to their new lifestyle for more than a year.

I'd be curious to see that too!

(I'd also be curious to see the houses from Clean House. I want to see if the houses
stay clean and organized or if the owners go back to keeping & saving everything.)

wellyes
05-05-2010, 09:08 AM

The NY Times article says there is about a 50% success rate. Which is not bad, all things considered.

DebbieJ
05-05-2010, 09:33 AM
I've actually never seen this show (I've never watched DWTS or American Idol either :duck: ) but I was curious so I went to the website. The before and after photos were pretty amazing, but I think that over 16 weeks, working out intensely with a personal trainer and having someone guide all your nutrition choices, then I think those results are pretty reasonable. I think it shows what people can do when they are in that place to be really motivated and ready to make substantial and dramatic changes.

yes, they have done it. It was on this winter. One of the past winners has gained a whole bunch of weight back.

DrSally
05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
As for my multi-grain Cheerios instead of regular ... there was a commercial on that says studies show people who eat more whole grains are healthier.

Yeah, but reg Cheerios are made of whole grain oats. "Multigrain" Cheerios is just a marketing ploy, IMO, b/c it has a lot of added sugar. Oh well, I haven't watched the show before, so I didn't know about the "in your face" product placement. The one guy last night (from Hawaii) was just amazing. It was so incredible to see the changes and how much he had lost. I felt so happy for him.

DrSally
05-05-2010, 04:18 PM
The NY Times article says there is about a 50% success rate. Which is not bad, all things considered.

I guess that's better than than dieting IRL.