PDA

View Full Version : attempted bombing - is this big news where you are?

lmh2402
05-04-2010, 09:36 PM
i'm just wondering if the attempted bombing in ny is big news anywhere else?

i kind of feel like it's been major media...but just sort of. not as major as perhaps i would have expected. and i feel very weird about it

i keep thinking about it and the what-ifs. and going to and from work today i was feeling super panicky and anxious

BUT yesterday it didn't even cross my mind though i was trekking DS through the city for a doc appt and lunch with a friend

so strange

i feel like it should be SUCH a big deal. but i suppose not since it didn't go off. and i know it wouldn't have been as major an impact as 9/11.

but still. i don't know. i just can't shake it. and this sense of foreboding...like it's inevitable that something else will happen soon. ugh. it's totally irrational to be sitting here stressing about this. nothing bad happened! but it keeps creeping back into my brain and messing with me.

wellyes
05-04-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm just grateful that we dodged that bullet.
And grateful that we live in a country where one failed car bomb is still big news.

i feel like it should be SUCH a big deal. but i suppose not since it didn't go off. and i know it wouldn't have been as major an impact as 9/11.No, it was "just" a car bomb. I read it would have caused a fireball-type explosion and likely some causalities. But it wasn't strong enough to knock over a building. The big fear is a bomb with a biological element or a nuclear weapon, but this was regular old explosives. Terrible but not catastrophic.

sariana
05-05-2010, 12:07 AM
I was kind of surprised that a major organization claimed responsibility for it, or at least a connection to it. I read that the bomb had the wrong kind of fertilizer or something. Who would want to claim responsibility for that kind of incompetence?

I agree that is almost is strange that it is not bigger news. But some random woman stabbed 4 people in a Target store yesterday (LA County), so things can happen anywhere.

My DH is currently in Pakistan, so any news involving that country automatically piques my interest.

mommy111
05-05-2010, 03:19 AM
I was kind of surprised that a major organization claimed responsibility for it, or at least a connection to it. I read that the bomb had the wrong kind of fertilizer or something. Who would want to claim responsibility for that kind of incompetence?

I agree that is almost is strange that it is not bigger news. But some random woman stabbed 4 people in a Target store yesterday (LA County), so things can happen anywhere.

My DH is currently in Pakistan, so any news involving that country automatically piques my interest.

I think, quite frankly, that it indicates a certain level of incompetence and desperation on the part of the terrorist organizations....and that they race to claim responsibility for things that they may not even be related to (IIRC a similar organization claimed responsibility for some mall shooting incident last year that was clearly not related to them).
This sounds more like something that would be of the level of a massive fireworks explosion but very little else. But, as one of the PPs said, thank heavens we belong to a country where something like this makes the news.

codex57
05-05-2010, 04:31 AM
It's basically headline news here, but I get what you mean by it could be bigger. For that I attribute to the fact that it was some serious incompetence without any casualties. As far as a "terrorist attack", it's a pretty minor event.

The news doesn't report every "almost" traffic accident. Since it was an attempted bombing instead of a near fender bender, it gets more attention, but since it was failed and so incompetent and seems to be an isolated individual, no one is that worried vs if it was a sophisticated operation with multiple operatives like 9/11.

arivecchi
05-05-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm up to my ears in coverage of this incident but that is because I rely on the NYTimes for news.

HIU8
05-05-2010, 10:53 AM
It's huge news here for obvious reasons. Security has been upped at a number of places around me (some they have told us about and some is obvious).

jayali
05-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Interestingly I have a different read on this. When it first happened I felt like it wasn't getting enough attention and now that they have caught the suspect it is getting more coverage.

That night, I woke up in the middle of the night to find DH watching CNN, which was covering it as Breaking News throughout the night. The following morning while it was headline news for the networks I really felt like it was not getting a lot of coverage.

I get that it didn't "detonate", however, the intent was still there to do harm. To me that is a terroist attack. Let's remember the first attack on the trade center in 1993 did not have the intended impact and we all know where "if at first you don't succeed" got us on 9/11.

The fact that we are still experiencing terriost attacks on American soil - no matter the impact - the intent is still very scary to me. I know that it was probably low keyed with the intent is not to cause hysteria and panic, but quite frankly let's call it what it is - an act of terriosm.

I am glad that they have the suspect. From what I have heard and read, he is saying that he acted alone and I leave the officials to determine whether he is telling the truth. The reality is that we live in a new era and now, to me, the reality of car bombs is real and not something I would read about happening on foreign soil.