PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Facebook question for you experts out there

wencit
05-04-2010, 10:07 PM
What is stopping one of my friends from saving a picture from my photo album onto their computer, then forwarding it (via e-mail) to one of their friends? I just tried doing this successfully as a little test on one of my personal pictures, and now I'm annoyed, not to mention mildly paranoid. I have all my photo albums set to "Friends Only," but now I'm wondering if I should change my settings.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Gah! Sometimes I hate Facebook.

MomToOne
05-04-2010, 10:14 PM
No, there's nothing you can do. Sometimes I hate Facebook too.

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2010, 10:17 PM
My BIL did that once till I simply told him that I preferred him not to. He's understood completely and was nice about it. If you don't trust your friends then either limit whether they can view pictures or ax them. If you suspect someone would do this, email them and ask them not to. Maybe email your whole friend list and declare this.

Beth

wencit
05-04-2010, 10:23 PM
No, there's nothing you can do. Sometimes I hate Facebook too. :(

I was afraid of this. I'm going to have to start being more selective over who has access to pictures of DC. Not that I think my friends would spam everyone they know, but it still doesn't sit quite right with me.

Thanks for letting me know.

goldenpig
05-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Both my sister and my brother have posted either a picture or a whole album of mine to their wall, which means now all their friends (or potentially anyone depending on their privacy settings) can see it. If you notice there's a link at the bottom of the page saying "Share this photo/album with anyone by sending them this public link". So you don't even have to be a Facebook member to view the photos. So irritating...what's the point of having privacy settings if they don't work?

almostamom
05-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Some of my friends on FB can see everything, but I have another "list" that I have limited what they can and cannot see. Those people cannot see any of my pictures other than my profile pic and only see certain things that I post. This doesn't stop the rest of my friends from copying and pasting pics of DS, but those are the friends I would trust not to do that.

HTH,
Linda

edurnemk
05-04-2010, 10:53 PM
This is one of the reasons I stopped posting pictures of DS on FB. I'm always running into people who'll say something like "please post some pictures, we want to see him". Depending on who it is I'll either openly say I don't because of safety and privacy, or just smile and nod politely.

If I want to share a picture with someone I share it directly through Picasa or email it, and only to very close friends and family.

I was pretty annoyed the first time I saw my SIL had posted a picture of DS she got from my profile and I realized this was possible. I hate that I have to depend on someone else's privacy settings to be safe.

KpbS
05-04-2010, 11:01 PM
I don't post pictures of my DC on FB for this reason.

ohiomom1121
05-04-2010, 11:20 PM
I tested out that share album thing the other day. DH uploaded some mobile pics, I hit share and it showed up on my wall. Then I asked someone who is not friends with DH to look at my wall and they couldn't see them. (His photo settings are set to only friends) I also have a group of people who can't see any of my photos...if I thought anyone would be copying my pics and sharing them I probably would just restrict them from seeing them in the first place.

MomToOne
05-05-2010, 08:37 AM
well the thing is, and I don't want to hijack your thread but eventually other people will be taking their own pics of your kids and posting them on their page. And you may not even be "friends" with them, you may not even get to see the pics never mind who's sharing or viewing them. (This just happened to me)

A lot of us have little bitty kids so we have some sort of control over pictures of them but this will not always be the case. That's why I sort of give up now. Just on the stressing over it part and just try to let it go.

jammytoast
05-05-2010, 09:45 AM
not to add to the paranoia, but anything you post anywhere that's not marked private can be screen capped and shared.

I personally don't get too worried about it - I simply don't upload photos that I would be upset about non f&f seeing. (that said, I still have F-only photos on flickr and FB)

3blackcats
05-05-2010, 10:00 AM
I don't post pictures of my DC on FB for this reason.

:yeahthat:
And i ask anyone that does to remove it.

wencit
05-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I know this whole "privacy on the Internet" is all a joke, but it still annoys me a little that it's SO EASY for someone to download photos like that. I have all my FB settings on Friends Only, and am picky about who I add as a friend, so I feel like I've taken decent precautions, but still. Ugh. I just moved across the country from all my friends and family, so FB is the easiest way to share pictures and stories about my adventures here. Maybe too easy, huh?

Anyways, rant over, and thanks for letting me know. I don't want to be a hermit, but I will certainly be extra mindful of this.

saboater
05-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I know this whole "privacy on the Internet" is all a joke, but it still annoys me a little that it's SO EASY for someone to download photos like that. I have all my FB settings on Friends Only, and am picky about who I add as a friend, so I feel like I've taken decent precautions, but still. Ugh. I just moved across the country from all my friends and family, so FB is the easiest way to share pictures and stories about my adventures here. Maybe too easy, huh?

Anyways, rant over, and thanks for letting me know. I don't want to be a hermit, but I will certainly be extra mindful of this.

Anymore if you don't trust them to not download and send, even physical photos they could scan and send. It sounds like you just don't trust these people, and if so, maybe you shouldn't give them pictures at all.

If someone can see the picture, they can copy it, even if as horribly rudimentary as taking a photo of the screen.

GaPeach_in_Ca
05-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Anymore if you don't trust them to not download and send, even physical photos they could scan and send. It sounds like you just don't trust these people, and if so, maybe you shouldn't give them pictures at all.

If someone can see the picture, they can copy it, even if as horribly rudimentary as taking a photo of the screen.

:yeahthat:

I'm just not understanding what the fear is. Anyone can take a picture of your child when you are out in public and there's nothing you can do about it. I would try to limit my worries to things I can actually control and not live in fear.

I don't think this is a FB thing, BTW. It applies to all pictures, online or physical.