PDA

View Full Version : S/O gift for DH: Do you get something he'd want or something he needs?

ourbabygirl
05-04-2010, 10:08 PM
With Father's Day coming up, I'm trying to come up with a good present for DH. I did some more sentimental things for him last year as it was his first Father's Day as a dad, but I'm thinking a lot of guys don't care as much for that as moms do.

So when you get a gift for your DH, do you tend to get him something that looks cool- a little luxury or something- or something that he might need (not like socks & underwear, but maybe something for his office/ whatever)?
For Father's Day I'm considering a new lens for our digital camera, a new desk chair (he works from home), or... I'm drawing a blank right now.

Any gifts that were really well received by your hubbies?

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

KrisM
05-04-2010, 10:15 PM
We've often done photos. Search "DADDY photos" for a bunch of examples. A couple years ago, he got a grill. This year, he's getting a bike and a photo, if I get around to taking pictures :).

Last year, I had no good ideas, so he got somethings the kids made him in camp - ties and picture frames. We were on vacation that weekend, so it was easy for me to bring with me.

JoyNChrist
05-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Honestly? I ask DH what he wants for whatever holiday is coming up, and whatever he tells me is what he gets. If I have extra time I'll try to add something sentimental (photos or having DS do special artwork for him or something), but DH is just so hard to buy for that I'm happy just to ask him what he wants and do that.

army_mom
05-04-2010, 10:25 PM
DH will be getting a nice set of grilling tools this year (at his request). I got him a toaster for our anniversary. Yes, a toaster. :rotflmao: He wanted an expensive, fancy toaster and I thought it was funny that I could buy him a kitchen appliance that he actually wanted (and DH's extent of cooking includes the grill and toaster struedels). DH is not really the sentimental type so we normally give gifts of stuff that he wants and will use.

(I have to admit the toaster is pretty cool, although I cannot believe *I* paid that much for a toaster. But he probably thinks the same thing about my beauty tools! :ROTFLMAO:)

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Depends on the guy. I do a mix of both and am still trying to figure out what he would like best. Dh is so low maintenance that he is happy with anything though. Sadly not terribly interested in sentimental gifts though. Oh, and my dh likes consumables- tickets to something, great bottle of cognac...vs something that would be clutter. Or something really useful that he might not buy himself but would be glad to have (like the Little Giant ladder that I have been meaning to buy for years).

Beth