PDA

View Full Version : daycare transition question

twowhat?
05-04-2010, 11:00 PM
So my girls have had a surprisingly good first two days at their new daycare. I mean, surprisingly good, better than I ever expected considering their personalities and the fact that we've never really left them with anyone else.

Are things going to go downhill??? Has anyone started their kid in daycare and had a good first few days and then hit rocky waters?

JustMe
05-04-2010, 11:48 PM
It is not impossible to have a "honeymoon" period...however, that doesn't sound likely in your case and most likely things are just going really well!

Sweetum
05-04-2010, 11:51 PM
DS did great the first day. But then, he was there only for a couple of hours, and that was before lunch. The next day onward things got difficult - he couldn't sleep in a new place. And now I'm moving daycares :( not to say you'll have the same experience, but I certainly didn't start with a great place (in hindsight). While they took good care, they didn't know how to handle him during that time.

So, if there's something that your kids typically find tough, be sure to let the care providers know and also how they should handle that. If not, good for you!!

-SunshineAndMe

wellyes
05-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Be grateful and enjoy! I'm glad it's working out.

egoldber
05-05-2010, 07:54 AM
My younger DD had zero issues transitioning to full time daycare. Our only "issue" is that she is very tired at the end of the day because they keep them so busy. Daycare for her has been a truly fabulous experience. But it's a wonderful place, with loving teachers who have been there for years, all have early childhood degrees and the curriculum is a fabulous, developmentally appropriate, child led program. Of all my concerns about returning to work, child care for her is a non-issue.

Now, some days I go to pick her up and she says things like "Mommy, I missed you at nap and I cried on my cot." But the teachers say she never cries! So I do think she misses me and is sad sometimes, but never such that the teachers notice. She is happy to see me at the end of the day, but she is also always happy to go in the morning.

So while I do think some kids may have a hard transition, others transition with no issues at all. I wonder if because your girls are together if that makes it easier for them?

elephantmeg
05-05-2010, 08:29 AM
IME the first full days are the hardest so (knock on wood) I think you're good!

wendibird22
05-05-2010, 09:16 AM
I was worried about DD1's transition to a new daycare from the homecare she had been at for 2.5yrs. She didn't even blink an eye. So, yes, it's possible for kids to just adjust and be fine.

twowhat?
05-05-2010, 10:09 AM
So while I do think some kids may have a hard transition, others transition with no issues at all. I wonder if because your girls are together if that makes it easier for them?

I wonder this too!! I mean, I have been REALLY surprised at how well they have done. My girls are SUPER SHY and it always takes 2 hours of sitting on the couch with them for them to warm up enough to venture out and play if there are ANY strangers around. They are very attached to me and scream bloody murder if they are taken away from me by someone else. We have really never left them alone before, even with a family member because we can't ask a grandparent to be able to handle two toddlers alone. It's hard, demanding, physically exhausting work. I've stayed at home with them for nearly 20 months, and getting out of the house is difficult for me because of their personalities (i.e. we go to the park, and just sit there for 2 hours becaues they are too afraid to go play. And trust me, I have gently prodded, tried to get them out to play and they scream bloody murder! Outings have been limited to play dates at other's houses (it takes 3-4 visits for them to get comfortable), grocery stores, and other small errands).

They cried when I left them at their daycare, but the teachers have been wonderful and held them the whole time the first day and they let them carry their loveys all day. The second day they only cried a couple of minutes when I left them (calmed when they got their loveys). They went on to take a 2 hour nap (YIKES!!!) AND they ate all their lunch, AND a snack. I was seriously blown away. When I went to pick them up, I peeked at them for a while and the teacher had let all the other kids outside to play (with the assistant teacher) while she stayed inside just to sit alone with my girls and talk to them while they finished their snack, and just let them get comfortable with her. I wanted to cry. This place is fabulous! AND, they didn't cry when I picked them up yesterday! They wanted to STAY AND PLAY. Again, BLOWN AWAY!

That's why I'm so afraid something is going to go downhill. I just can't believe it's gone this well so far. Hoping for another good day today.

egoldber
05-05-2010, 10:22 AM
You know sometimes things really do just work out. :)

I also think that an experienced child care provider is much better than the average grandparent/family member at getting kids to adjust. I think it also helps them to see other kids doing the same things and they often find the daily ritual comforting. Plus there are new toys, new kids, etc.