PDA

View Full Version : Kitchenaid Stand Mixers

mytwosons
05-05-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm debating taking the plunge. What model do you have? Does it meet your needs or do you wish you had opted for a different model? And, finally, where do I get the best deal?

TIA!

belovedgandp
05-05-2010, 08:50 AM
I've loved mine. Had it for 6 years. Although the main thing it is used for is making cookies.

I went up one minor level to get the slightly larger bowl capacity (I think 6qt vs 5). It has been worth it for me. My mom has the smaller one and there are times she can't quite double some recipes or do things she wants as well in the smaller bowl.

This is a great time to be looking with Mother's Day specials. I ended up at Kohl's when they were on a kind of decent sale with an additional 30% off using their CC. Those role around fairly frequently.

elliput
05-05-2010, 08:56 AM
I've got the Pro 600 model, and had been a work horse. Late last summer, we made what amounted to 40 loaves worth of bread dough over a week and it performed beautifully. If you are a serious baker, definitely go with this route. I lucked on an Amazon deal Christmas of 2008.

m448
05-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I bake a lot (both bread and sweets) but I prefer to make bread by hand since the KA can only handle a limited amount of whole grains per batch and if I'm making bread it's usually in 5-6 1lb loaf batches. However, I chose the KA (I have the 6qt model, before that I had the 4.5 quart model for 9 years) because I wanted it mostly for the sweet stuff so large batches of cookies, creaming cakes, making pancake mix, etc. The bread I can handle on my own especially since I take advantage of the autolyse process that reduces kneading time a lot. I also use the pasta rolling attachment to make empanadas in bulk for freezing.

If I had wanted a machine for serious breadmaking in a machine I likely would have gone with a bosch or eletrolux assistent. But since I needed a creaming/light bread making machine I went with the KA.

wellyes
05-05-2010, 09:04 AM
DH's great-uncle handed his wife's down to us - it dates from the early 80s - still works perfectly. If they're still being made now they way they were then, I wouldn't hesitate to take the plunge.

JBaxter
05-05-2010, 09:08 AM
I got mine in 1990 and its still going strong. I got what every basic model they made then. I many "gift"it to my son when he moves out in 4 yrs LOL/

elephantmeg
05-05-2010, 09:12 AM
I got a 6 qt kitchenaid pro for Christmas. Haven't used it a ton yet but it's worked great for everything so far. It is HUGE though!

DebbieJ
05-05-2010, 09:37 AM
I have the Ultra--had it for ~10 years now (wow!) and it still works great. Just used it last week for something....can't remember what. LOL!

bubbaray
05-05-2010, 09:41 AM
I have the professional model, got it a few years back from Costco. IIRC, its the 5q bowl. I don't use it a ton, but when I do use it, I love it.

HTH

larig
05-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Look at the horsepower when you're comparing. If you want to make bread in it you will need significant horsepower compared to if you just use it to make single batches of cookies. I have a 10 year old KitchenAid mixer and really love it, but if it broke I would also look at a Cuisinart, because they make their 5.5 QT mixer with an 800 watt motor (KA's 6-QT is only 600 watt, and their smaller have much weaker motors). I have recently become a bread baker, and I think that having a stronger motor would be good. Mine gets hot (really) after kneading a loaf for 5 or 10 minutes.That said there are things that the KA has that the Cuisinart doesn't--like a pasta roller.

Cooks Illustrated has nice reviews comparing the various models. I use one of their reviews to pick my new handheld mixer for my birthday and I've been really happy with what I chose based on their recs.

Think about what you want to use it for too, and let that help you make the decision. I personally wouldn't buy anything with a bowl smaller than 5-QT. And I don't like the mixers that tilt back. I prefer the mixers that lift straight up.

Globetrotter
05-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Based on BBB advice I got the Pro model from Costco (they had a good deal at thanksgiving) and I use it ALL the time. love it!

My one complaint is that it doesn't always get to the stuff on the bottom so I have to mix it myself sometimes at the end. I thought that was an odd design flaw.

C99
05-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I have the 6qt Pro. I got it in 2002 from Costco for $300, the motor burned out while I was making bread in 2009 and they sent me a new one! When I was at home, I used it a lot to make cookies, breads, etc. Now I use it considerably less, but it is a workhorse and, like my LeCreuset dutch oven and Williams-Sonoma plane cheese grater, one of the best things I've ever bought (actually, now that I think about it, I managed to get all of those things as gifts although I had asked for them).

cuca_
05-05-2010, 02:34 PM
I have the Professional 610. Bought it on sale last December at Williams-Sonoma. I love it. I debating getting one for a long, long time, and I'm really happy I finally did.

BTW, I was just at Costco and I believe they have a $40 off coupon on the Kitchen Aid until May 9th.

jjordan
05-05-2010, 03:04 PM
I've had mine 11 years and use it often; never had a problem. If mine ever did break I'd replace it with a model with the larger bowl, but I can't imagine that happening anytime in the next decade, so I guess I'm "stuck" with this one. :)

My mom has had the same one for as long as I can remember (I'm guessing close to 30 years!). She uses it all the time and it still works perfectly.

m448
05-05-2010, 04:04 PM
My old machine went to my newly married, brother and SIL. It was still going strong and they're just now setting up a modest household.

mytwosons
05-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks, everyone! I've been eyeing the Costco coupon.

But, another question: where do you all store your mixers? Or, do you just leave them on the counter?

Thanks!

larig
05-05-2010, 06:37 PM
I got a black one that I leave on the counter. I like its looks, so I don't mind it cluttering. I should cover it, because it gets dust in the bowl, but I just rinse it when I use it.

To a PP, there is a beater that is a replacement (not made by KA) that scrapes the bowl as you mix. I don't have it, but I want one. Here are two different ones. Not to hijack, but...Anyone have one??

http://www.sideswipeblade.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Design-Beater-5-Quart-KitchenAid-Tilt-Head/dp/B0015TMHFG

mamicka
05-05-2010, 06:48 PM
I might be the only one who isn't thrilled with the KA stand mixer. I don't know off-hand what kind I have but it's quite old. My mother gave me her's when she didn't need it anymore. I still use it quite a bit, but I'm not feeling the love. The top part sinks down too low, even when locked & that makes the beater height hard to adjust. I'm assuming that's why I've broken 2 wire wisk beaters since I've had it - about 5 years or so.

1964pandora
05-05-2010, 07:19 PM
I bought two refurbished Kitchenaids directly from Kitchenaid and have had no problems with them and its now 7 years later. I don't know whether Kitchenaid still sells refurbished models, but I think they still do. I paid a ridiculously low price for both of them and they had a warranty.

jjordan
05-05-2010, 08:28 PM
I keep mine on the counter.

ETA: In our current kitchen, the mixer and the toaster are the only appliances kept out on the counter. In our previous kitchen, it was only the mixer and the coffee maker. I am not one for keeping stuff out. :)

m448
05-05-2010, 09:23 PM
I also keep mine on the counter like the food processor and blender, otherwise they never get used/pulled out.