PDA

View Full Version : Would this have annoyed you?

TwoBees
05-05-2010, 08:18 AM
I ran to the grocery store on Saturday to pick up one item. I parked in one of the spaces reserved for parents with children, because I had DD with me. As I was getting back into the car, putting DD's infant seat in the base and folding up the stroller, another woman pulls into the 2nd "reserved for parents with children" space next to me, hops out (no child), and runs into the store. I nearly said something to her about her making life difficult for those of us who actually had children and need those spots. But I kept my mouth shut and it has been bugging me since. I wish I had said something. Does this sort of thing bother you (people who use those spaces when they have no need)?

o_mom
05-05-2010, 08:44 AM
People who use handicapped spaces that are not handicapped? That bothers me.

People who use 'parent' spaces without kids? Not really. While I appreciate them, I don't feel they are something I am owed in life. Walking out a few more spaces isn't a big deal to me.

momof2girls
05-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Yes it annoys me. It especially irked me when it was 20 degrees outside and I had a toddler and infant carrier to deal with! People are lazy!

TwinFoxes
05-05-2010, 08:51 AM

People who use 'parent' spaces without kids? Not really. While I appreciate them, I don't feel they are something I am owed in life. Walking out a few more spaces isn't a big deal to me.

:yeahthat:

ewpmsw
05-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I don't use the spots now that DD is a toddler. If the spots are reserved for parents with kids, I think people should respect that. I don't see it as an entitlement, but a courtesy the stores extend to their guests. It annoys me whether people are taking a handicapped space or a space for expecting moms/parents with infants, especially when the lot is packed or the people parking there could park a few spots away. I'm perfectly capable of walking with DD or with a carrier, but in a few months, when it's DD and an infant in a carrier, I'll be grateful to have a closer spot. When I was past my due date and walking was miserable, I was really glad to find a spot close to the store.

I often wonder why stores don't locate the cart corrals and the expecting mothers/parents with infants spots a little closer together. That would make some sense, wouldn't it?

TwoBees
05-05-2010, 09:15 AM
I often wonder why stores don't locate the cart corrals and the expecting mothers/parents with infants spots a little closer together. That would make some sense, wouldn't it?
FWIW, there are some stores in our area that do, particularly Target (right next to the cart corrals).

wellyes
05-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Nah, you never know someone's circumstances. Maybe she had a sick baby at home and she was running into the store to get baby tylenol as fast as possible.

Plus I don't feel particuarly entitled to good parking spaces. Parents with young kids do have a harder time than healthy young folks. But not a harder time than a lot of other people who don't qualify as disabled -- but are old, terribly out of shape, pregnant but w/o kids or whatever.

Maybe they should call them "Courtesy Spots" like they have on the subway..... "Please reserve these spaces for people who have difficulty walking the length of the parking lot".

kristenk
05-05-2010, 09:20 AM
I think it depends. If someone parks and really *runs* into the store, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If someone parked in the space without a child and just sort of meandered into the store and looked like they weren't making a quick stop, it would sort of annoy me.

Last night I needed to run into the drug store to pick up band aids and polysporin for a gash on DD's ankle. DH was driving and he pulled into an expectant moms/moms of young children spot. He didn't notice until he pulled in, but he let me out and then went to park elsewhere.

I do remember a time when I was truly racing to the store to get something for DD and I don't know if I would have moved the car if I realized after pulling in that I parked in a new mom space.

I don't think I ever really parked in those spaces even when I was eligible for them. I always felt that there was someone else who could use it more than I could.

Green_Tea
05-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Nah, you never know someone's circumstances. Maybe she had a sick baby at home and she was running into the store to get baby tylenol as fast as possible.

Plus I don't feel particularly entitled to good parking spaces. Parents with young kids do have a harder time than healthy young folks. But not a harder time than a lot of other people who don't qualify as disabled -- but are old, terribly out of shape, pregnant but w/o kids or whatever.

Maybe they should call them "Courtesy Spots" like they have on the subway..... "Please reserve these spaces for people who have difficulty walking the length of the parking lot".

MamaMolly
05-05-2010, 09:30 AM

:yeahthat: ITA. I usually skip the baby spots in favor of parking next to the cart returns if I can.

DebbieJ
05-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Those spaces aren't protected by law like handicapped spaces are, so I just let it roll...

DebbieJ
05-05-2010, 09:32 AM
:yeahthat: ITA. I usually skip the baby spots in favor of parking next to the cart returns if I can.

me too. or I park in a spot that's next to a median so that I have a car on just one side of me instead of both sides. I don't trust others to not ding my car.

3blackcats
05-05-2010, 10:04 AM
me too. or I park in a spot that's next to a median so that I have a car on just one side of me instead of both sides. I don't trust others to not ding my car.

I park as far away as i possibly can. People do not watch their doors at all. And i would never park in the family spots b/c of kids opening their door into my car :)

JoyNChrist
05-05-2010, 10:11 AM

We've actually had someone call us out for using a handicapped spot (we have handicapped tags on DH's vehicle). I mean, we got out of the car and started walking into the store, and this lady very nastily said, "You don't look disabled." What she obviously couldn't see is that DH has rheumatoid arthritis and was given the tags by his doctor because he has particular trouble with his knees, and sometimes it makes walking really difficult. He doesn't use the handicap spots all the time, but if he's uncomfortable he certainly does.

Same way with the expectant parent/family spots - when I was really sick with this pregnancy, I would frequently use them even though I wasn't showing yet. It was just less effort on my body when I was throwing up every 15 minutes, and anything that made my life easier was worth it.

happy2bamom
05-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Well, I'm a rule follower so YES it would annoy me.

I get down right irate when I see people use the handicap spots who obviously aren't handipcapped. Again, you don't know everyone's circumstances but when a young person hops out of their truck and then jogs to the store, I"m pretty sure that they could've parked farther away.

happy2bamom
05-05-2010, 10:28 AM

I park as far away as i possibly can. People do not watch their doors at all. And i would never park in the family spots b/c of kids opening their door into my car :)

You must have a nice car. I"m driving a 2002 model and could careless about dings on my car. If I had a nice car, I'd have the same mindset as you.

wellyes
05-05-2010, 10:35 AM
I get down right irate when I see people use the handicap spots who obviously aren't handipcapped.

Oh, be careful of that, "handicapped" is often not visible. Cyctic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia, MS and a number of other conditions can be absolutely crippling without visibly altering the appearance of a healthy-looking young person.

elektra
05-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I've never seen a spot like that! The concept seems so "Orange County" to me too. Not sure how to describe that exactly.
Anyway, I would probably have been annoyed at first too and then talked myself out of it by reminding myself that you never really know someone's deal.

It reminds me of when I was in college, some of the football players were given handicap placards so they could get better parking spots on campus. Somehow they were found out and there was an OUTRAGE. I'll never forget it. It was pretty bad.

catroddick
05-05-2010, 12:43 PM
It would have annoyed me (most things do anymore), but I would not have said anything.

KrisM
05-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Those spaces aren't protected by law like handicapped spaces are, so I just let it roll...

I've only used them a handful of times myself. Only when I was pregnant with DS2 and the other kids with me, did I use them. And that was more of me being pregnant and exhausted than having the kids :).

khm
05-05-2010, 12:51 PM
I'd notice, but it wouldn't bug me. Those spots are a courtesy/gimmick from the store. They aren't a mandate.

If you'd have said something, she'd probably have voiced her opinion that she doesn't think parents "need" special parking spots. :)

SnuggleBuggles
05-05-2010, 12:53 PM
It would have annoyed me some but I wouldn't dwell on it. It would have annoyed the rule follower in me and wondered why the other person did it. But, I also don't think that those spots are nice to have but one shouldn't count on them or expect them.

FWIW I park my 1999 Civic lower down the row not because of fears of dings, I could care less. But, because most other people are lazy and if I park down there I am less likely to wind up with someone next to me. Very handy as I try hard to avoid being parked next to SUVs and minivans as I can't safely pull out of my spot when they are there. Oh, and I like being next to the cart return as it saves the "put the groceries or child away first" dilemma.

Beth

TwinFoxes
05-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Those spots are a courtesy/gimmick from the store. They aren't a mandate.

Gimmick, that's exactly the word I was looking for!

ETA: in general I don't feel the need to be the neighborhood cop. For all I know she dropped her DH and triplets off, and she went to park the car.

cvanbrunt
05-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Nope. Count me in the column of not feeling entitled to good parking because I have kids.

gatorsmom
05-05-2010, 02:06 PM

Plus I don't feel particuarly entitled to good parking spaces. Parents with young kids do have a harder time than healthy young folks. But not a harder time than a lot of other people who don't qualify as disabled -- but are old, terribly out of shape, pregnant but w/o kids or whatever.

:yeahthat: ITA. You just never know what is going on in someone's life. I try to remember that everyone's life is hard and hopefully parking in that spot helped them in some way. And then I forget about it.

nov04
05-05-2010, 02:36 PM
It bugs me but not enough to have someone rip a strip off me if I tell them so.

C99
05-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Maybe she misread the sign? I have totally parked in the parent of infant space even when I didn't have my infant with me.

s7714
05-05-2010, 03:10 PM

However, I'm also the kind of person who always parks across the parking lot where there are fewer cars. I hate having to deal with all the "in a big hurry" people who are whipping in and out of the spaces closer to the door like they own the place. Having multiple children who could easily get hit by those people as they're pulling into spaces is one of the key reasons why.

jjordan
05-05-2010, 03:15 PM
You can certainly be annoyed by someone like that without being someone who feels entitled to a good parking spot just because you have kids. I'm not sure why anyone would think those two things are equivalent, but from some of the posts on this thread, apparently some people do think that.

Does it annoy me? Heck YES, because it annoys me when people break rules! It also annoys me when I see someone with a cart full of groceries get into the express checkout lane - whether or not it directly affects me.

Ceepa
05-05-2010, 03:18 PM
I think it's obnoxious but save my breath. Instead I give them a look.

TwoBees
05-05-2010, 03:18 PM
You can certainly be annoyed by someone like that without being someone who feels entitled to a good parking spot just because you have kids. I'm not sure why anyone would think those two things are equivalent, but from some of the posts on this thread, apparently some people do think that.

Does it annoy me? Heck YES, because it annoys me when people break rules! It also annoys me when I see someone with a cart full of groceries get into the express checkout lane - whether or not it directly affects me.

Thank you JJordan, you said exactly what I have been feeling since my initial post. I don't feel entitled to that spot. But I feel that the other woman (who did not run into the store, she meandered) had even less of a reason to use it than I did.

s7714
05-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I mean, we got out of the car and started walking into the store, and this lady very nastily said, "You don't look disabled."

I'd be inclined to shout back that in fact my issues were mental, not physical, and then proceed to laugh very maniacally... :innocent: