PDA

View Full Version : What are you getting for Mother's Day?

teedeedee
05-05-2010, 10:29 AM
DH keeps on asking me what I want for Mother's Day. Of course what I'm thinking is, "a little rest would be fabulous". However, I know that is highly unlikely. SO, I'm asking for a tree for our very bare front yard.

So, how about you? Anyone have something fun planned? Or are you getting a great gift you'd love to share?

JoyNChrist
05-05-2010, 10:31 AM
I asked for a certificate for a prenatal massage. I found the place and sent DH an email with the link for their website, and told him exactly what I want and how much it costs. You can even buy and print the certificates online, so if I don't get it, I'm gonna be rather irked, lol.

Twoboos
05-05-2010, 11:05 AM
New running shoes! I plan to run another 5k, and my current ones are pretty worn out and my knees are starting to hurt.

I know, every mother's dream gift. :ROTFLMAO:

khalloc
05-05-2010, 11:10 AM
DH brought my car in to get inspected ($50), filled it with gas ($45), and paid for the tire valve to be repaired ($100). That was last week and he claimed it was for Mothers Day. He usually gets me something else, like an actual gift, so we will see if I get anything else.

Last year I got an Elsa Peretti initial pendant & necklace from Tiffany.

pb&j
05-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I get a 3 hr drive back from a wedding with two kids by myself. Wheeee! :)

DH assures me there will also be chocolate involved at some point.

g-mama
05-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I've been told not to ask again what our plans are for the day because it's a surprise and to just let go of control, LOL.

So, I have no idea, but dh always comes through and does something very nice, much more than he needs to. He's much better at this sort of thing than I am.

TwinFoxes
05-05-2010, 11:16 AM
I don't know. I gave DH some suggestions just in case he was stumped. He hasn't told me what the plans are. I assume gift + takeout from the restaurant of my choice (going out to dinner isn't relaxing when we take the girls). He'll do something, he wouldn't forget in a million years

lchang25000
05-05-2010, 11:18 AM
I already received my MD gift last weekend since in-laws are coming to visit this weekend and staying for 2 weeks. DH got me an overnight stay at a nice hotel with a package which included a massage and delivery of chocolate covered strawberries and cider delivered to my room upon arrival. I enjoyed my time there by getting room service and watching tv and sleeping with no interruptions! It was heavenly!!

Corie
05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
but dh always comes through and does something very nice, much more than he needs to. He's much better at this sort of thing than I am.

Sounds like my husband!!

I'm always standing there empty-handed saying, "I thought we weren't going
to exchange gifts for our anniversary/Mother's Day/etc. this year!"

He says, "I always buy you something. *You're* the one who never buys
anything."

dhano923
05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I told DH I wanted satellite/XM radio for my car. I even told him I had Best Buy gift cards he can use towards it. He's on a business trip this week, so he better ask me for those cards when he gets back on Saturday! LOL

LarsMal
05-05-2010, 01:26 PM
New running shoes! I plan to run another 5k, and my current ones are pretty worn out and my knees are starting to hurt.

I know, every mother's dream gift. :ROTFLMAO:

This is what I asked for, too. After five times out my knees started killing me. It's gotta be the shoes (and maybe fallen arches thanks to 3 pregnancies?!?). That and some new workout gear to go with my new kicks.

I did ask for a pedicure, too. Good thing my b-day is at the end of the month. DH usually spends a little more and calls it a combo gift.

rlu
05-05-2010, 01:31 PM
new gardening gloves and plush indoor slippers. That is what I asked for, we'll see what I get. I really hope I get a card from DS, I think I'll call my mom who is watching him after school today and have her organize that.

eta: DS came home with something in an envelope I can't see that he made at Grandma's, so card from DS, check! We're planning a shopping trip to Target and OSH either Friday or Sat to get my mom's gifts and those two stores should just happen to have what I would like as well.

PMJ
05-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Isn't it funny how even on Mother's Day, the moms are still planning usually!!!

This is my 1st mother's day, so I'm very excited!!!

maestramommy
05-05-2010, 01:41 PM
No idea. This year I'm not asking for a day off. I might ask for an afternoon though. Last year Dh got the kids involved which was sweet. But this year he's up to his neck in to-dos so I don't know.

DietCokeLover
05-05-2010, 01:48 PM
My DH loves to buy gifts, but he is terrible at picking out gifts that someone would actually want.

So, I bought my own mother's day gift. I bought a new duvet cover at IKEA this week. I'm at my mother's house for about two weeks so DH will not be with me on mother's day. Seemed like a good excuse to get what I wanted!

SkyrMommy
05-05-2010, 01:51 PM
I get a quiet morning to myself & then a trip or trips to the garden nursery with an afternoon in the dirt! DH takes care of everything on Mother's Day from wake up, play, lunch, dinner, bath & bed! :heartbeat:

catroddick
05-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm getting a beautiful Mom's necklace that I ordered off Etsy! It's perfect!

I mentioned in a post last week, I got tired of hinting, and just ordered it for myself. DH sucks at gifts. He thinks he has great intentions, but even those are getting weaker and weaker.

Seitvonzu
05-05-2010, 02:15 PM
we went to maryland sheep and wool festival last weekend, and i actually bought tons of yarn there so i'm calling that my mother's day present. never mind that it's yarn to knit little sweaters for dolls and lucy and a baby gift for a friend. nevermind that at all, because it IS my hobby :):)

we usually go to a nearish french country restaurant the week before mother's day and call that my gift. we were just there with my mom though recently, so i'm not feeling it. i won't cook which is a gift too. i don't like go anywhere on the actual day because places are always PACKED (including panera which is where we usually have breakfast on sunday)

g-mama
05-05-2010, 02:23 PM
I already received my MD gift last weekend since in-laws are coming to visit this weekend and staying for 2 weeks. DH got me an overnight stay at a nice hotel with a package which included a massage and delivery of chocolate covered strawberries and cider delivered to my room upon arrival. I enjoyed my time there by getting room service and watching tv and sleeping with no interruptions! It was heavenly!!

Wow, that sounds amazing!! Lucky mama! What a thoughtful dh you have.

g-mama
05-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Sounds like my husband!!

I'm always standing there empty-handed saying, "I thought we weren't going
to exchange gifts for our anniversary/Mother's Day/etc. this year!"

He says, "I always buy you something. *You're* the one who never buys
anything."

OMG, this is exactly like us. I am the worst at planning for birthdays and other occasions. He's so hard to buy for (thought he wouldn't agree), that I've kind of given up. Even if we *do* agree not to exchange gifts, he buys me one anyway, and yes, I'm standing there empty-handed. And he picks great things, too. Maybe I need to step it up a bit!!

C99
05-05-2010, 02:46 PM
My DH wants to "buy me" a digital camera. I say "buy me" because I will have to pick it out and purchase it, and it's not really what *I* want. The flash on our current one died and we have no photos of our 3-year-old and DH, who has the youngest-of-three and my parents stopped caring angst, thinks we need a new camera to rectify that. I want a bicycle, but settled for 3 hours on Saturday morning so I can go to the treasure store by myself (it's not open on Sunday).

arivecchi
05-05-2010, 02:52 PM
He hasn't told me what the plans are. I assume gift + takeout from the restaurant of my choice (going out to dinner isn't relaxing when we take the girls). He'll do something, he wouldn't forget in a million years I wanted to do brunch and DH nixed that idea because of the dictator. He was right. Brunch with that little guy would have been miserable for sure. Maybe next year. :) DH asures me that he and DS1 are planning a delicious breakfast and I get to pick out all of the activities for this weekend. He wants to get a gift, so I was thinking about a bike as I need to exercise this summer and that would be a fun way to do it. I think I will add take-out to the package. Thanks for the idea! :rotflmao:

P.S. Oh, I think I will also tell him that he gets to wake up with DS2 at 6 am all weekend. :boogie:

ewpmsw
05-05-2010, 03:11 PM
I'll probably get a card. DH said he doesn't have any ideas, so I gave him some. He didn't like any of them. So... Probably a card.

fauve01
05-05-2010, 03:21 PM
DH took DD to Color Me Mine (the paint your own pottery place). I put in my order or a bowl or plate--something we could use and see all the time, and i asked her to decorate it with something original (as opposed to the stencils). I can't wait to see it!

Sunday morning is my usual yoga class -- hopefully I'll get to do that.

Hopefully we can get take-out for dinner too.

Anne + DD 10-03

elektra
05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I got this picture. It was meant for that spot!
I love looking at it every day, although I know that style is not everyone's cup of tea.
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss148/elektra09_2009/IMG_0313.jpg

smilequeen
05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
DH surprised me with a necklace I had been eyeing. He NEVER surprises me. NEVER. And I kind of ruined the surprise. I had taken my rings in to be polished and have the band fixed (I really bent it!). So he picked it up for me on Friday but got home during the boys bedtime. He stayed up there with them and I went to get my rings from his briefcase and found a box from our jeweler. I opened it and it was NOT my rings but the necklace. So, I already have it and I love it, but I feel badly that he didn't get to surprise me on MD (even though I was completely surprised either way). We are also going to brunch with my parents on Sunday but that is honestly more for him than me. I don't get nearly as excited about food.

Roleysmom
05-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm getting a Eureka Enviro Steamer (I am incredibly excited about this!) and a substantial birdfeeder to clip to our back porch.

buddyleebaby
05-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Two packages arrived this week and DH hid them.
I know they are for me but I don't know where they are from or what's in them.
I haven't asked for anything and can't really think of anything I want.
So I am looking forward to the surprise. :bighand:

g-mama
05-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Elektra - I love that artwork! Very cool.

cchavez
05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
I would like a ring or bracelet from james avery but have only given a small hint. So any surprise would be nice and appreciated. There is not much that I want/need right now. I do want to go to the new, giant whole foods w/ the family on Mother's Day and possibly 5 guys. :)

Melaine
05-05-2010, 04:51 PM
DH mentioned getting me a Flip camera, but I don't know if he will. (I wish he hadn't mentioned it, now it either won't be a surprise, or I will be disappointed)
I asked him to get and put up a picnic table for our deck (we have NO seating out there which defeats the purpose) but I am pretty sure he doesn't want one so I doubt that will happen.

arivecchi
05-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Elektra - I love that artwork! Very cool.:yeahthat: It is perfect for that space!

KrisM
05-05-2010, 04:59 PM
I am guessing nothing. Last year, I got the necklace I bought myself and breakfast in bed. But, a few days before MD, DH had asked me to shop for the food for breakfast. He hasn't done that and I'm guessing he doesn't remember at all. I'm tired of having to remind him or to buy myself something, so I am not. Last year, I didn't even get a card from the kids, which made me really sad. I hope he'll at least think of that this year. We'll see. I'm not counting on it. Anything I do get will be a huge surprise.

elektra
05-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks g-mama and arivecchi! It makes me happy to look at it. :)
I think I might be needing a new camera for Mother's Day now too though, as my appears to not be working and I had to take the pic with my phone. :(

hellokitty
05-05-2010, 05:36 PM
DH already gave me my combo MD/Bday gift last month. I have a really nice mother's pendant and he got me the gem charm for DS3's birth month. It cost him a lot more than he thought it would be, but I appreciate having the complete, "set" now. Oh and I also went out Monday and bought myself some vera bradley stuff. I don't feel bad about it, b/c it was 50% off. :)

sunnyside
05-05-2010, 06:22 PM
This will be my first mother's day, but my baby isn't born yet, so I'm just not sure. My brother and his family sent me chocolate covered strawberrys and a nice note. I'm not sure what else there will be. Maybe a prenatal massage.

:)

sunnyside
05-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Plus I'm getting a nice ring when the baby is born, so I don't really want to push my luck LOL.

mamicka
05-05-2010, 06:38 PM
I love looking at it every day, although I know that style is not everyone's cup of tea.

That's beautiful! I love your style!

I hope to just have a nice quiet day with no bickering (a girl can dream, right?) & homemade cards from the boys. We don't usually do presents for MD.

jerigirl
05-05-2010, 06:52 PM
I ordered myself a new serger (sewing machine) that I need to go pick up this week :boogie:

KrisM
05-05-2010, 07:04 PM
I get a 3 hr drive back from a wedding with two kids by myself. Wheeee! :)

DH assures me there will also be chocolate involved at some point.

Make sure you stop somewhere to enjoy the peace and quiet! Read a book or have lunch somewhere you don't otherwise go.

Gena
05-05-2010, 07:11 PM
If I get anything, it will be whatever DS makes at school.

DH always tells me that I'm not his mother, so he doesn't need to do anything.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
05-05-2010, 07:27 PM
DH always tells me that I'm not his mother, so he doesn't need to do anything.[/QUOTE]

My DH always tries to pull this and I let him know it will not fly!

pb&j
05-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Make sure you stop somewhere to enjoy the peace and quiet! Read a book or have lunch somewhere you don't otherwise go.

I think I wasn't clear in my post - the kids and I are going to a wedding together without DH (he is working out of town). So I am going to be driving 3 hrs WITH two kids. I can't stop and have a quiet lunch by myself unless I leave the kids unattended in the car, and I know how much the BBB moms frown on that. ;)

KrisM
05-05-2010, 08:03 PM
I think I wasn't clear in my post - the kids and I are going to a wedding together without DH (he is working out of town). So I am going to be driving 3 hrs WITH two kids. I can't stop and have a quiet lunch by myself unless I leave the kids unattended in the car, and I know how much the BBB moms frown on that. ;)

I reread it and you were perfectly clear. It was me who missed the "two kids" part. Will they fall asleep at least so you get some quiet?

kerridean
05-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Nothing. DH is deployed and is so busy/stressed working 15 hour days and being on call. I doubt he will even remember. It makes me a little sad.

pb&j
05-05-2010, 08:23 PM
I reread it and you were perfectly clear. It was me who missed the "two kids" part. Will they fall asleep at least so you get some quiet?
I'm hoping!!!

But, it's not soooo terrible, as I am going WITHOUT the kids to visit my friend the next weekend!! :)

newg
05-05-2010, 08:23 PM
I told DH I wanted uninterrupted time to plant flowers. Not, "I chase DD around while DH gets to play in the yard and I sorta get to plant flowers"........or planting flowers in the dark after DD goes to bed.

We'll see if it actually happens.

Corie
05-05-2010, 08:57 PM
........or planting flowers in the dark after DD goes to bed.

Do you want me to come over and hold a flashlight for you?

JMS
05-05-2010, 08:57 PM
DH and I have planned our first night (together) without all three kids and I can't imagine wanting anything more. It's actually the weekend after Mother's Day b/c my babysitter is a mom too :)
We're going downtown, staying in a very nice hotel, getting massages and going to a great restaurant... then SLEEPING IN!!!!!! :)

I C A N ' T W A I T ! ! ! ! ! ! !

KrisM
05-05-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm hoping!!!

But, it's not soooo terrible, as I am going WITHOUT the kids to visit my friend the next weekend!! :)

That will be fun!

newg
05-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Do you want me to come over and hold a flashlight for you?

LOL :rotflmao:

and probably some bug spray too!!

TwinFoxes
05-05-2010, 09:28 PM

I :heartbeat: that piece! Is it San Francisco? I think I make out the Transamerica pyramid and the Victorian houses. Regardless, it's a great piece.

jent
05-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Probably nothing, maybe a card if I'm lucky. I'll be shocked if DH does think of getting DD involved. DH is not good at this sort of thing & right now there is nothing I need or want-- that I haven't just decided to buy for myself, anyway.

sunshine873
05-05-2010, 09:43 PM
DH usually does a card & breakfast in bed. My thing is that I want us to be together (I like it to be a family day) but I don't want to do any of the work. I just want the snuggle, cute, smiling times. When she gets cranky, needs a diaper change or has to be tended too...it's all daddy!

This year we have 2 friends whose DHs are deployed, so we're taking them & their kids out for brunch. So 4 adults, & 3 kids under 2. Not exactly relaxing, but it should be fun.

bubbaray
05-05-2010, 09:49 PM

My DH pulls this same cr@p. I told him that I'm not his dad and he will get squat unless he ponies up for MD. Fortunately, MD always comes before FD. One year, all he got for FD was a card from DD#1. Because that is all *I* got for MD. He's been better since then.

KrisM
05-05-2010, 10:15 PM

DH tells me that, too. I tell him that he does NOT have to get me anything, but he should facilitate the kids getting me something, as they are not quite old enough to drive to the store to shop or to order somethign online or to cook, etc. They are 1, 3, and 6. So, yes, he should have to do something.

But, he won't and I'll get nothing.

And I end up getting him something from the kids for Father's Day because it's important to the kids.

boolady
05-05-2010, 10:19 PM
The day with just DD and DH! I'm very excited! We are doing a delayed Mother's Day with my mom and sisters because both of my sisters are out of town this weekend, and DD and I will see my mom on Saturday while DH is working. We're going to get herbs, etc. for our patio container garden and get to work. I don't care if I get anything else or not.

Oh, and DH used to give me that crap about not being his mother, to the point that the first year DD was born, he didn't even get me a card from him, because "You're not my mother." He's actually very thoughtful...I had no idea people thought Mother's Day was ONLY for your mother, though, and I let him know that. I politely (okay, maybe not) pointed out to him that Hallmark has a rather large selection of Mother's Day cards for your wife, and inquired what he believed they were for if not to give to said wife. I've gotten a card from him, at least, ever since, and he usually helps DD make me something, which I love.

eda
05-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Elektra - I love that artwork! Very cool.

:yeahthat:

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
05-06-2010, 12:57 AM
A 90 min massage for FORTY DOLLARS!!!! And a some stuff I am ordering myself with the 20% BCB + fs over $50. My B-day is in 2 weeks, so I combine...

elektra
05-06-2010, 01:15 AM
I :heartbeat: that piece! Is it San Francisco? I think I make out the Transamerica pyramid and the Victorian houses. Regardless, it's a great piece.

I love it too! Just don't tell anyone I bought it at IKEA ok? ;)
Yes I think it is San Francisco. I tried to look up skylines online but I couldn't tell for sure and it is abstract. But yes I think the pointy one is supposed to be the Transamerica building. And then the houses in the foreground look like San Fran Victorians to me too.
We have a NYC abstract giclee in our family room too. :) The new one is in our eat-in kitchen area. It is a great Mother's Day gift because I get to enjoy it every day!

MontrealMum
05-06-2010, 02:00 AM
It's kind of hit or miss, but DH always does something. Just not maybe what I might have wanted. But you've got to give him credit for trying. I know that I'm lucky in that :) Last year I got blue carnations :eek: Which DS tried to eat. Unfortunately for DH MD is Sun. and my B-day is Fri...so he's kinda got a lot to think about in the one week :) Oh, his mom's b-day (which I will take care of ;) ) is at the end of the month. And my mom's b-day is Sat. May is a busy month for us.

He's been hinting around about Lululemon this past week. I hadn't asked for it, but hey, I do wear it, so as long as it's the right size I"m good with that. What I'd really like - for either MD or B-day are some mugs for coffee and tea. Between the two of us we've broken nearly all that we have :( The "extras" are packed away from when we moved here and we were trying to cut back, and I don't know where they are!#$@

He's been trying to give me a spa day for awhile now but none of my friends want to go with me and I just don't want to go alone. And when my one friend that *did* want to go visited from Ottawa, don't you know but DS was sick and I had to stay home with him :( It seems like it should be a social thing, like shopping or something. Anyone up for a day spa in Mtl?

bubbaray
05-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Anyone up for a day spa in Mtl?

ooooh ooooh ooooh. PICK ME! I haven't been back since I left in 1985!!!!!

lizzywednesday
05-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I hadn't thought about it, but I hope DH does something ... it's my 1st MD!

Although our anniversary was yesterday & the ILs will be watching the baby so we can do dinner & a movie on Friday night, so maybe that counts!

Instead, I can feel good that I did something special for my sister - it's her 1st MD, too, but IDK that she's got anybody to make a fuss about it. (DD & I sent her a charm necklace, Pandora charm & fun card last week.)

BeachBum
05-06-2010, 10:02 AM
We are getting family pictures done by a photographer that better be worth the splurge! HA HA. DH and DS4yrs have been doing a lot of whispering and plotting so I imagine I'll also be the recipient of breakfast in bed, or a cake or something. DS seems really excited, which makes me feel very loved.

wendibird22
05-06-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm hoping for a charm for my pandora bracelet. I bought the bracelet for myself with birthday money and told DH back then that it would be something that he and the girls to buy charms for. Let's see if he remembered.

Ceepa
05-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Dh keeps asking me what I want and I can't think of anything. He threatens to pick out something with no input from me if I don't give him a suggestion. Without direction from me he always come up with gifts that are interesting. Thoughtful, but interesting. :p

DC tell me that their gifts are secret until Mother's Day (they drew pictures). But they keep "hiding" the pictures in places that I run across them like behind a throw pillow on the couch or sitting in the middle of the coffee table. So I pretend not to see them. :love5:

AJP
05-06-2010, 10:43 AM
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss148/elektra09_2009/IMG_0313.jpg
LOVE that!

Jen841
05-06-2010, 11:22 AM
For my bday (June) and MD

Donations to my 3 Day Walk fundraising
Anything 3 Day Walk related (head lamp, sleep pad,...)

What I am getting:
Donations
Cheering section while I run a 5K (get a Run like a Mom shirt)
Dinner out Saturday night (sending kids to a PNO at a Sports Center - win win!)
DH to take the kids to swim class so I can make brunch

The weekend can't get her fast enough!

lizzywednesday
05-06-2010, 11:40 AM
For my bday (June) and MD

Donations to my 3 Day Walk fundraising
Anything 3 Day Walk related (head lamp, sleep pad,...)

I do the AWBC 2-day & just use a mini Maglite on a chain around my neck instead of a headlamp for those late-night potty runs.

Also, I have a ThermaRest pad that won't be needed 'til my event in October that I am willing to lend out. PM me if you're interested. It is not thick, but does self-inflate the ThermaRest way (open the valve & let it sit on top of your sleeping bag while you shower & grab dinner) ... but I know it's not everybody's style. Suits me just fine!

Any other needs? I may be able to help.

MontrealMum
05-06-2010, 11:57 AM
ooooh ooooh ooooh. PICK ME! I haven't been back since I left in 1985!!!!!

Melissa, if you ever come back this way we are ON! For the spa, some shopping, cocktails :) you name it!