PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me about Amazon Prime?

jess_g
05-05-2010, 10:32 AM
I am ordering a mothers day gift for my mum. It looks like I can save $23 by signing up with Amazon Prime first and then choosing 2 day shipping. Can someone tell me about Amazon Prime? What are the benefits? Is it hard to cancel once you sign up? Would you sign up for one purchase?

Thanks,

Jessica.

JoyNChrist
05-05-2010, 10:40 AM
I LOVE Prime! I wouldn't sign up just for one purchase, because it's like $75. But if you do the trial and then are diligent about canceling (canceling isn't hard...I did it once), it should be worth it.

I buy a lot of books, gifts, etc, through Amazon, so for me Prime has been worth the yearly fee.

wencit
05-05-2010, 10:42 AM
It costs $79 for a year, and it gives you free 2-day shipping on eligible purchases (which is basically the same as stuff that would be eligible for Free Super Saver Shipping). That means I don't have to wait until I have $25 worth of stuff on Amazon to get free shipping, or buying $2 batteries as "filler," time and time again. That also means I can order a book, then decide the next day that I want to buy DS a toy, and get free shipping for both without having to worry about paying twice for shipping or trying to meet minimums. Super easy and convenient!

I absolutely love my Prime membership and would highly recommend it if you find yourself purchasing from Amazon every so often. I have to warn you, though, that it's a slippery slope, and once you have it, it will be VERY hard to cancel because you'll be so used to the convenience. It now pains me to pay for shipping anywhere else. I also think it's a great marketing tool for Amazon, because you'll be more likely to buy stuff from them after having paid for a Prime membership.

JElaineB
05-05-2010, 11:03 AM
If you haven't tried it before you can usually sign up for a free trial, usually a month. I would do that if you haven't, then you can cancel online before the month is up if you don't want to be charged.

viba424
05-05-2010, 12:56 PM
We have been doing it for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. Its so worth it, particularly because you can get almost anything on amazon. I would highly recommend it.

SnuggleBuggles
05-05-2010, 01:05 PM
I did the trial over Christmas and it was beyond fabulous. I decided not to pay for it though but have been pondering it. So nice not get to a certain $ amount to get free shipping. It was just nice to click and buy. Dh called it very dangerous w/ the 1 click feature. :)

Beth

sunnyside
05-05-2010, 05:55 PM
I use mine all the time. I mean ALL the time. Like my niece 3000 miles away will break her arm and I can go online and get her a gift and the next day it's there. (Overnight shipping is $3.99 per item).

I can send my mom her mothers day present tomorrow if I want and it'll be on time (this is my plan too LOL).

I love it. Amazon usually has the best or a pretty competitive price on anything I want, and its' nice to be able to not pay tax or shipping and have it arrive so quickly.

wellyes
05-05-2010, 06:15 PM
I use it at least once a week. And I don't buy books, CDs or DVDs. It's all kitchen stuff, electronics, toys, household stuff, etc.

awoodm
05-05-2010, 09:58 PM
My second 3 month free Prime trial just expired 5 days ago and I am already having withdrawls. I think I am going to buy it, I used it all the time. It's worth it IMO, and if you just want to do the free trial it is really easy to not automatically renew.

neeleymartin
05-05-2010, 10:39 PM
My second 3 month free Prime trial just expired 5 days ago and I am already having withdrawls. I think I am going to buy it, I used it all the time. It's worth it IMO, and if you just want to do the free trial it is really easy to not automatically renew.

huh? i'm confused. i thought you could only trial it once? AND i thought that it was only for a month. how have you done this twice and gotten a 3 month trial? please advise.

op, i have the one month trial and i LOVE it. i ordered some items at 3:30 one afternoon (in ma, like you) and had the items delivered the next afternoon. didn't pay xtra for for overnight either. i was very impressed.

i don't think i will renew. i just don't need to get things here that quickly. i almost always spend $25 so fsss works most of the time. really would only renew to get things faster. i believe that price on most items is the same. not sure though. perhaps someone else could provide clarification.