PDA

View Full Version : Furniture for DC

teedeedee
05-05-2010, 11:05 AM
So, with baby 2 on the way we will be taking DDs baby furniture and getting her some "big girl" furniture. But I'm really torn. I see all of the really cute little girl furniture in white and think of how sweet her room would look.

But, I'm not sure how long until she would outgrow it since it is for little girls. I mean, even if it is for 10 years and then we get her some more "adult" furniture is it a good deal to buy it?

We do live in an area where we can get really reasonable furniture prices.

What'd you do for your DC?

WatchingThemGrow
05-05-2010, 11:36 AM
We did Stanley Young America at a discount - in white for DD's room, but from birth. Same for boys.

ewpmsw
05-05-2010, 03:46 PM
We're getting an unfinished captain's bed (drawers underneath on both sides) for DD's room and staining it green. Space is limited, so the underbed storage will be convenient, and having one less piece of furniture for her to climb will be nice. We're going with stain instead of paint because we were told it's easier to paint over stain than a previous coat of paint. Less work, looks neater. (That's probably a matter of opinion, but I'm sharing just in case it's helpful.) :) We're also staining a hand-me-down desk from her grandmother to match the bed. IMO, white is lovely but shows nicks and marks more than I'd like.

sariana
05-05-2010, 04:07 PM
:rotflmao:

I got "big girl" furniture when I was maybe 7 or 8. I used it until I went away to college, and then even took a few pieces to my apartment my senior year. The furniture was white or off-white with gold sparkly stuff on it. There was a canopy bed, a large desk, a dresser, a night stand, and a lingerie chest. There were curlicues and other "little girl" motifs all over it!

But hey, it worked.

When DS was ready for a big boy bed, I looked all over and found some things I liked. DH was totally against everything I found. He was adamant about getting a box spring and mattress (so no captain's bed or anything like that). I wanted something that had a matching desk, even though we weren't buying a desk yet.

We never could agree on anything. We ended up getting new furniture for OUR room, and DS got our old dresser and one night stand. They are medium oak and go well with his bookcase (which we got when he was an infant--it is a boat). All we bought new were a box spring and mattress (we had a frame). He just doesn't have a headboard or footboard.

DS is happy. But now DD is 2, and I'm thinking about what we're going to do for her by the time she's 3. Would it be fair to get new things for her when DS got stuck with our hand-me-downs?

I like white furniture. If it starts to look too babyish, you/she could consider painting or staining it. Sometimes replacing just one element gives a room a whole new look.

I would go for it.