PDA

View Full Version : Thing to attach to my keys so I can find them?

gatorsmom
05-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm not pointing fingers but somehow my second and remaining set of car keys has gone missing. Dh and I are both pretty good about putting our keys in a silver bowl on the counter top. But the problem is that recently Greenbean has has taken a serious interest in this bowl. It really only started a couple days ago and I just shooed him away but today, after 3 hours of tearing the house apart, it has dawned on me that he is digging in that thing a little too often. So yes I'll find a new place to keep our keys. However as a failsafe, I was wondering if there exists something I can attach to my keychain (once I find it) that would ring or beep when I need to locate them. Does anyone know of anything like that and where I can get it? This is not the first time the kids have confiscated our keys. :(

DebbieJ
05-05-2010, 02:27 PM
I just googled "key Locator" and all kinds of hits came up.

TwinFoxes
05-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I had one DH bought from Brookstone as kind of a gag gift. I LOVED it! Sadly it didn't work long. Basically you press a button on the base unit, and the receiver on your keys beeps.

infomama
05-05-2010, 02:34 PM
A more economical solution would be a key hook..that's what we use. Plus, you never have to replace batteries

JoyNChrist
05-05-2010, 02:47 PM
I have one that is supposed to beep when you whistle. In reality, it beeps every time there's any loud noise, so it's not best in a house full of kids. I'd recommend a different type. ;)

wellyes
05-05-2010, 02:48 PM
I've given up on keeping my keys in a communal bowl & now just always have them clipped to my purse using a key hook (http://www.itsapursething.com/keyhooks.htm). It's helped a lot.

mecawa
05-05-2010, 02:54 PM
I had one DH bought from Brookstone as kind of a gag gift. I LOVED it! Sadly it didn't work long. Basically you press a button on the base unit, and the receiver on your keys beeps.

:yeahthat:
We loved ours but one of the receivers broke and their is no way to fix it, and DD2 just lost DH's keys too.

DebbieJ
05-05-2010, 03:53 PM
I've given up on keeping my keys in a communal bowl & now just always have them clipped to my purse using a key hook (http://www.itsapursething.com/keyhooks.htm). It's helped a lot.

I just use a carabeener that I bought in the camping section of WalMart for a buck or two.

KrisM
05-05-2010, 03:55 PM
I just use a carabeener that I bought in the camping section of WalMart for a buck or two.

That's what I do, too.

But, I just saw this the other day, and thought it sounded great for remotes! It's a finder, but you don't need a base unit to find the others. You only need one item to find any of the other items, so you could do a remote, phone, keys, etc. http://www.findonefindall.com/

TwinFoxes
05-05-2010, 04:16 PM
A more economical solution would be a key hook..that's what we use. Plus, you never have to replace batteries

Saying this to someone who misplaces things (me!) is like saying "just sprout wings and fly, that way you won't need car keys". I've tried a hook, but I forget to use it. :bag

gatorsmom
05-05-2010, 05:19 PM

Admittedly, when I'm coming in the house, I'm usually carrying one, maybe 2 children and a lot of their stuff (they never want to come in the house- they always want to stay outside so I have to physically bring them in myself). As soon as I come in the door, I'm scrambling to get the twin's shoes off because around here the majority of the year shoes get messy. So, in an effort to get the shoes off at the door, I have to drop all the stuff in my hands. If Greenbean gets to it before me then, well, it can end up anywhere. So, in that case, a hook wouldn't help much more than the bowl.

The carabiner clip is a good idea until the kids get to my purse but I'm definitely checking out the key locator suggestions. It will still be cheaper than having to tow my car to the dealer and get a new key made.

Btw, I DID find my keys today! Yeah!

KrisM
05-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Admittedly, when I'm coming in the house, I'm usually carrying one, maybe 2 children and a lot of their stuff (they never want to come in the house- they always want to stay outside so I have to physically bring them in myself). As soon as I come in the door, I'm scrambling to get the twin's shoes off because around here the majority of the year shoes get messy. So, in an effort to get the shoes off at the door, I have to drop all the stuff in my hands. If Greenbean gets to it before me then, well, it can end up anywhere. So, in that case, a hook wouldn't help much more than the bowl.

The carabiner clip is a good idea until the kids get to my purse but I'm definitely checking out the key locator suggestions. It will still be cheaper than having to tow my car to the dealer and get a new key made.

Btw, I DID find my keys today! Yeah!

Do you park in a garage? During the day, I tend to get out of the car, unlock the house, put my keys on my car roof (!) and then get the kids out. I don't leave them out there all night, but during the day, that's where they often are. At night, I usually hang them up in the mudroom.

infomama
05-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Saying this to someone who misplaces things (me!) is like saying "just sprout wings and fly, that way you won't need car keys". I've tried a hook, but I forget to use it. :bag
aww come on you guys...your makin me feel bad
Lisa..I guess I thought it would be more safe on a hook rather the bowl. Sounds like re entry can be pretty crazy.

Twin Mom
05-05-2010, 06:30 PM
I have magnetic hooks on the back of my garage door (into the house) so as soon as I get in the house I hang up my car key on the hook. You could hang it high enough so that none of your DC can reach it (unless they use a chair of course).

TwinFoxes
05-05-2010, 07:12 PM
aww come on you guys...your makin me feel bad

No no, don't feel bad!! I wish I were organized...sadly, I think it's not in the cards.

Oh, wait, maybe you meant you felt bad for my DH. ;) He'd appreciate the sympathy, he puts up with a lot.

sidmand
05-05-2010, 08:27 PM
I have one that is supposed to beep when you whistle. In reality, it beeps every time there's any loud noise, so it's not best in a house full of kids. I'd recommend a different type. ;)

Yes, I had one like this. I was just telling someone that it went off when it heard a certain frequency. Unfortunately I also had a friend who laughed using that same frequency so every time she laughed, the thing started beeping!