PDA

View Full Version : Pacifiers

pennysmom
05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
As a soon to be new mom, I need some suggestions on pacifiers. They all seem to be BPA free so what qualities should I look for in a pacifier?

crl
05-05-2010, 04:50 PM
I bought two kinds that were readily available in the nearest Walgreens so that replacements would be easy to get. DD like one of those and that's what we use.

Catherine

HIU8
05-05-2010, 04:53 PM
DS loved any and all paci's. It didn't matter what brand etc... He was a paci addict. DD hated every single type. At the hospital they used a soothie. She was ok with those, but other than that she rejected all types (and eventually the soothies also). My advice would be to maybe purchase one or two and see which one the baby takes to (if at all).

JBaxter
05-05-2010, 04:54 PM
4 boys an none would take any pacifer. I tried every one. Get a few and try them thats about all you can do.

AshleyAnn
05-05-2010, 04:56 PM
One that is orthodontic to lessen the damage done to the teeth and easy to find locally. I don't like the green 'soothie' pacis given to newborns in the hospital because they are not orthodontic and lots of babies have a difficult time transitioning off it so I asked our nursing staff not to give DD a pacifier in the hospital and brought along the kind I thought I wanted her to use in case we needed it. My SIL had a baby 7 months before I did and went thru all kinds trying to transition him off the soothie so she just passed them all down to me and I let DD try a few. She picked the one I was hoping for - Silicone Nuk. I haven't regreted the choice so far.

elektra
05-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Neither of my kids would ever take one but I read that you should try to find one that is all one piece like the Soothies. I tried a bunch though including Playtex (we used those bottles so I thought that might somehow be more acceptible to my kiddos), MAM, Nuk, Gerber.
No takers here.
So I guess my advice (like some PP's) is to not buy a bunch of one kind right off the bat.

JBaxter
05-05-2010, 05:20 PM
One that is orthodontic to lessen the damage done to the teeth and easy to find locally. I don't like the green 'soothie' pacis given to newborns in the hospital because they are not orthodontic and lots of babies have a difficult time transitioning off it so I asked our nursing staff not to give DD a pacifier in the hospital and brought along the kind I thought I wanted her to use in case we needed it. My SIL had a baby 7 months before I did and went thru all kinds trying to transition him off the soothie so she just passed them all down to me and I let DD try a few. She picked the one I was hoping for - Silicone Nuk. I haven't regreted the choice so far.

Im going to have to disagree Orthodontic shaped pacifers can cause mouth issues also especially if used for extended periods of time. I saw many open bites in children using both regular and orthodontic styles. Its mainly how LONG they use it vs what kind they use. The hospitals are using soothies because they do mimic a nipple.

srhs
05-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Loved these Gumdrop pacis (http://www.gumdroppacifier.com/) with my newborns--like Soothies but lighter.

eta--Could be coincidence but while both like them early, both refused the around 4 mos.

lizzywednesday
05-05-2010, 05:29 PM
DD is starting to "wean" herself off her Soothie because we use it for her medicine (only way she will swallow it) ... truthfully, I am OK with this, as none of my sibs or I used pacifiers as babies and it took almost 4 years to wean our middle niece and older nephew off theirs.

They have their place, but I'm not a fan in general.

crl
05-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Yeah I wasn't sure if I was going to try a pac with DD. It was the recent SIDS research that tipped me over into trying one.

Catherine

arivecchi
05-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Both of my boys loved pacis. We used Avent ones and no other brand would do. I tried many others and they were so used to the Avent ones that they could tell the second I placed a non-Avent paci in their mouth and would spit it out.

KpbS
05-05-2010, 05:47 PM
DS1 stopped taking one around 4 mo. and found his thumb. We've always used Mam pacis with DS2. DNs like Gerber Nuk pacis the best. These two brands (Gerber Nuk and Mam) seem most readily available. Pacis are great if they'll take them!

ourbabygirl
05-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Another vote for the Nuk (though we call it a paci). DD's 19 months so we'll have to start transitioning her off it before long (we try really hard to only have her take it when going to sleep and when she's hurt herself/ really upset). I love how easy it is to get the Nuk brand (is it Gerber?)- we bought them at Target, BRU/ TRU, & the local grocery store- and they come in lots of cute colors.

MizMojoLaveau
05-05-2010, 08:44 PM
We use the real rubber (all one piece) Natursutten pacis. The drawback is that they are not so readily available, though BRU does sell them. The kid loves them and they are also good for teething. I think they are made in orthodontic and regular and come in a couple sizes.

ewpmsw
05-05-2010, 08:52 PM
DD loved the Avent pacis until she was about 4 months. Just before we decided to wean her from them, she quit taking them altogether. I'm also not a fan of pacifiers, but agree they have their place. Ours was a sanity saver in those first few months, especially in the car and on two separate out of town trips. DH and I developed expert paci-hearing and knew the exact moment one would pop out of DD's mouth, then whoever was in the passenger seat would be scrambling to get it back in before the fussing started.

sunshine873
05-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Loved these Gumdrop pacis (http://www.gumdroppacifier.com/) with my newborns--like Soothies but lighter.

eta--Could be coincidence but while both like them early, both refused the around 4 mos.

:yeahthat: DD loved her Gumdrops...for a few months. Then she found her thumb. :)

c&j04
05-05-2010, 09:34 PM
We're only 7 days into this but DS hated the Nuk. I couldn't ever get it totally into his mouth. But he loves his Wubbanub/soothie. I don't particularly like the big round "thing" on his face so the little animal makes it better :)

Dr C
05-05-2010, 09:40 PM
We had a hard time getting DD to take a paci, and one day DH came home with the $9 Natursutten, which oddly enough she seemed to like more than any others (maybe it's just because we had so much $$ invested in it, so we pushed it more, I don't know). In any case it was easy to transition her from that one to the plain old cheapo NUKs that we had leftover from DS.
I agree with the rec to get a few different kinds.

HIU8
05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
DS used a paci until age 3 (yes, I know.....). Anyway, you have no idea the amount of dental work and orthodontia we are headed for (it's making my head spin to think about it). DS has a SEVERE overbite (caused by paci use and mouth breathing). FWIW, he used any type of paci out there. We had nuk, we had mam, etc....

MamaMolly
05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
DD1 loved any and all pacis. She started out with a Gumdrop from the hospital, but she loved each and every paci that crossed her path. I always offered her a variety of brands because I never wanted to be hostage to a particular type and not be able to find it.

DD2 has two Gumdrops that she is 'meh' about and one Soothie from her recent NICU stay that has this little stuffed puppy attached that she seems to prefer. Course it has disappeared today...gotta go frisk the 3 year old. ;)

tmahanes
05-05-2010, 10:00 PM
My little one doesn't really care what kind it is.... he likes the soothie the best which I hate bc it covers like half of his face... but he is picky in that he rarely wants it when he is really mad... mostly after he eats or when he is not too upset just a little fussy. I can't use it to calm him down he just spits it out then.