PDA

View Full Version : Aden and Anais swaddling muslin blankets question

citymama
05-05-2010, 04:30 PM
If you had A&A muslin swaddling blankets, how did you use them and at what age? Someone gave us a set of 4 blankets. We were big-time swaddlers with DD1, and used the basic Carter's flannel swaddling blankets with her. We did 2 layers of blankets swaddled one after the other. Never felt the need for any other kind of blanket except once she hit about 3-4 months and started outgrowing the Carter's ones.

Is that when you use Aden and Anais - when babes are bigger and have outgrown the baby ones? They seem pretty enormous for a newborn. Or are they folded/swaddled differently than the classic squarish small swaddling blanket? I assume they have a longer life than just between 3-5 months of age, since they are such popular baby gifts and everyone seems to love them. Just trying to figure out whether we need to hit the Carter's store or can use the A&A blankets as our basic swaddlers this time. Thanks!

crl
05-05-2010, 04:48 PM
We used ours with DD from the start. Of course she was 8 Lbs 11 oz at birth. She actually hates to be swaddled but I still use ous as stroller/carseat blankets. I love that the material is light so I can fold however many layers seems right to keep her comfortable. And it absorbs moisture so they are also good as in a pinch burp rags--again with the stroller/car.

Catherine

Cam&Clay
05-05-2010, 05:24 PM
We have 8 of these still hanging around because DS2 had adopted them as his security blankets.

We used them from the beginning for swaddling. I folded them over, not quite in half for when he was really tiny. They were my favorite blankets for swaddling. He was still being wrapped, albeit more loosely when he was closer to a year old and we still folded down one edge about 6-8 inches to make it smaller.

Since we had so many, they were used for more than just swaddling. For layering, for burp cloths, stroller blanket or even to put over his infant seat to block the sun. They are my favorite baby gifts!

boogiemomz
05-05-2010, 05:37 PM
we loved our a&a swaddling blankets, they were the only ones we ever swaddled with. i think we folded them entirely in half (to make a triangle). they are nice for swaddling because the muslin material makes them a little stretchy, so you can tuck the edges in tight. agree with PPs that there are many different uses for them too.

so exciting that you are getting everything lined up for your new little one!! :bouncy:

SnuggleBuggles
05-05-2010, 05:44 PM
I never could figure them out. Even dh, who is better at it than me, couldn't get ot to work well. I stuck with the Swaddle Me and the A+A became giant burp cloths or play mat when out. They were nice because they folded up so small- easy to take in diaper bag.

Beth

Kymberley
05-05-2010, 05:52 PM
I took some to the hospital and used them instead of the ones they provide. Everyone, nurses included, loved them. I'd fold them nearly in half like PP said, and wrap up tight. I like that they can breathe better than thicker blankets, and DS always seemed quite comfy. I keep at least one on me at all times now when I'm out for different things, and DS is 9 months old. I love these blankets!

jgenie
05-05-2010, 10:39 PM
I was a swaddling failure with DS1 - we only had Carter's receiving blankets and I didn't think to use two so they never stayed on. I splurged on a package of A & A blankets for DS2 and we use them every night!! I fold them almost in half and wrap him up. He's been sleeping in his bassinet or crib since day 1 and I swear it's because of the A & A blankets. I'm contemplating getting another set so I won't have to wash these as often.

DebbieJ
05-05-2010, 10:43 PM
We don't swaddle, but I still LOVE these blankets! I keep one in the diaper bag at all times because they are so compact and useful. They are great for the stroller to cover up if it's chilly or to block the sun. I use it as a nursing cover up (mostly to cover my belly fat), a play mat, and on and on. They are so soft!

stinkyfeet
05-05-2010, 11:13 PM
We used the miracle blanket for swaddling when DS was a little baby. I still like these blankets tho--they are great for the approaching warmer weather.

eliasmom
05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
I got these to swaddle DS when he outgrew the MB and he still likes to be wrapped in them and uses them as security blankets. I also loved using them as a lightweight sun barrier last summer when he was itty bitty. I'm thinking of cutting one of the four into lovey-sized squares.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-06-2010, 11:46 AM
i used them to swaddle DS when he was young (less than 1 month old), because they were the only blankets large enough. after 6 weeks my DS hated swaddling but i still love the A&A blankets because they are 1) large and 2) very breathable. i use them to cover DS while he is napping in his Nap Nanny, just to protect him from drafts etc. i also use them in teh stroller a lot. all other blankets are just too small and/or too thick. i love A&A, i even have a sleep sack made by them.