PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Stanley furniture for kids?

lorinick
05-05-2010, 04:57 PM
It's Young America Genamerica. It's solid wood. Made in the USA. Looks to be made really well. Worth the extra money? And does it really hold up well? Getting ready to order one for my son. Looks like my son will have this set for ever. How is it holding up?

Piglet
05-05-2010, 05:01 PM
We have a Stanley Young America bunk bed set (but not the made in USA version). We really like it and it is very solid. I found a great sale and it came out to a very comparable price to many of the lesser quality brands. Where I saved money was on the dressers, night tables, etc. I reused our existing furniture for those items, as they can add up to more than the bed. One day I might buy better quality, but while the kids are young, I would rather stick with the old stuff.

hollybloom24
05-05-2010, 06:30 PM
My girls have Stanley YA beds. They seem good to me! I didn't think they were that $$$, especially when I compared them to Pottery Barn Kids! I spent maybe 1/3 of what I would have spent at PBK.

This is what we have: http://www.youngamerica.com/product/133016/BED5423B1/_/bed%26%23160%3B5423%26%23160%3Bmix_%26_match%3Cbr% 3Etwin_antiquity_low_post_panel_bed

We only use a pillow top mattress. I suppose you could also use a box spring.

lablover
05-05-2010, 06:31 PM
I can't comment on the quality, but we ordered some Stanley furniture for DD back in mid-Jan and we are still waiting for it! Apparently since they moved their manufacturing back to the US the demand has been very strong. We were quoted 12 - 16 weeks for delivery. We spent the extra money since we figured it will last forever.

spanannie
05-05-2010, 06:43 PM
All of our kids' furniture is from Stanley Young America and we love it! Most recently, I've ordered from Seaside Furniture in South Carolina and gotten a great deal!

spanannie
05-05-2010, 06:44 PM
My girls have Stanley YA beds. They seem good to me! I didn't think they were that $$$, especially when I compared them to Pottery Barn Kids! I spent maybe 1/3 of what I would have spent at PBK.

This is what we have: http://www.youngamerica.com/product/133016/BED5423B1/_/bed%26%23160%3B5423%26%23160%3Bmix_%26_match%3Cbr% 3Etwin_antiquity_low_post_panel_bed

We only use a pillow top mattress. I suppose you could also use a box spring.

I think that's the one my son has, except in the mahogany color and queen size. I think the quality is better than PBK, too.

WatchingThemGrow
05-05-2010, 06:58 PM
All of our kids' furniture is from Stanley Young America and we love it! Most recently, I've ordered from Seaside Furniture in South Carolina and gotten a great deal!
:yeahthat: thanks to the ILs! Their CS has been great if we've had any issues at all. I even bought a used crib (a THIRD one) from another family and they sent me replacement parts. We've had a little bit of white finish wear off on the front of the 7 drawer dresser, but that's where DH's pants rubbed against it every time he changed a diaper (which was like all the time.)

I love that you can add new pieces years later if they're still making that set. We have lots of Four Seasons- white and brown. Ours came from furniturelandsouth in NC at a huge discount.

happymom
05-05-2010, 07:05 PM
DD's bedroom set is Stanley Young America- she has an armoire, dresser/changing table, and a crib. We've only had it for about a year, but so far we have been very pleased. It feels very solid. The only complaint I have is that the white paint is rubbing off in some spots (mostly where we lean by the changing table and crib) but I suppose that would happen with any white furniture set.

fortato
05-05-2010, 07:12 PM
We bought a set when Jack was born, and put the bed away until he was out of a crib.

The laminate on the bed's edges peeled off in spots or started to in others. I'm very disappointed that it happened, because it's a gorgeous set, but since it was 2 years after we bought it, there was nothing we could do about it.

WatchingThemGrow
05-05-2010, 07:48 PM
We bought a set when Jack was born, and put the bed away until he was out of a crib.

The laminate on the bed's edges peeled off in spots or started to in others. I'm very disappointed that it happened, because it's a gorgeous set, but since it was 2 years after we bought it, there was nothing we could do about it.Did you contact them to see? I'm surprised if they said nothing - unless it was stored in a non -temp. controlled place.

fortato
05-05-2010, 07:56 PM
I didn't contact them... I figured it was my own fault since I kept it in the attic.... but, it's probably worth a call.

lorinick
05-06-2010, 07:38 AM

The laminate on the bed's edges peeled off in spots or started to in others. I'm very disappointed that it happened, because it's a gorgeous set, but since it was 2 years after we bought it, there was nothing we could do about it.

The set I'm going to get is solid wood. No laminate. I thought Young America line was all wood. I would call them again to see what they can do.

MamaSnoo
05-06-2010, 08:06 AM
DD has a set for her room. It is very nice and has held up well. It did take a really long time to be delivered. We ordered when I was 22 weeks, and they called to deliver it the day AFTER I delivered at 37 weeks! fortunately, my parents were there to handle it when they arrived!

MamaSnoo
05-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Almost forgot---one of the things that I really like about her set is that the pieces are full size. No tiny drawers that fit baby clothes, but not clothes for a teen. We plan to use it for a long time, so that was important to us.

jgenie
05-06-2010, 08:11 AM
DS1 has a set in his room - it has held up well for the two years we've had it. I love the look of it and will probably be adding pieces in the future.

secchick
05-06-2010, 09:23 AM
We have a full size bed, night stand, dresser with mirror, chest and bookcase. They are really nice and solid. We have had them for a year and a half or so and they will definitely last through high school. We lucked out on a sale when we went to look so I ordered that day. I think it is definitely worth the $$.

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2010, 09:37 AM
One thing I love about it is that it has so many built-in safety features. http://www.youngamerica.com/Why+Buy+Young+America%3F/Safe+and+Smart/

smilequeen
05-06-2010, 10:33 AM
We've only had Oliver's set for about 10 months, but so far I really love it. The quality seems to be great. I think we have the same set that was posted earlier, but in a darker color. A queen bed, dresser, bookshelf, and side table.

http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/22587/20100422/b_154207.jpg

We are also really happy with the Land of Nod set my older son has.

theweebee
05-08-2010, 09:44 AM
DD is now 3, so we bought her set in 2006 when I was pregnant. White Serenity convertible crib, dresser, night stand, tall book case. Before DD was even born, I accidentally put a chip in the top of the front crib rail while putting together the bouncy seat (a plastic arm flipped up, hitting the crib--I was unhappily surprised at how easily the crib was damaged). Since then all the other pieces have gotten chipped just from everyday toddler living (and we are not rough people, plus with DH and I both working we're not even home that much, and when we are we're all in the family room most of the time). The edge of the dresser where we changed her is completely worn away--the front top edge is all black from the paint being gone. I called Stanley, the store where we bought the furniture, and other furniture stores that also carry the Young America line. None of them could help me on how to touch the furniture back up (nor seemed interested in helping me). I'm planning to try one of Pottery Barn Kid's white touch up pens! The top shelf of the book case is pretty short--I keep small stuffed animals and knickknacks up there, but find it to be a frustratingly useless shelf (when storage is at a premium for my indulged DD with all her toys, books, etc). When we converted the crib to a toddler bed (with the pricey toddler bed rail), the white material of the rail did not match the crib, and even though it's intstalled correctly and all the screws are as tight as we can get, it's still fairly wobbly. All the silver bolts show on the crib too, which I know a lot of other makers, including other expensive makers, do too, I was still rather surprised that for all the money we paid, we still had these silver things dotting the pristine white of the crib.

The furniture looks pretty from the doorway, but I probably would not get it again, and hosestly might get PBK instead. Hopefully Stanley has improved the quality since 2006.