PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about vinyl/plastic shutters

ciw
05-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Ok, off topic but how did you decided whether to go with raised panel or louvered -- was it just a matter of preference? If you painted them was it just to refresh the existing color or did you change the color? Did the paint hold up or did it chip, fade, warp the shutters? Would you consider buying shutters off CL or are shutters something you wouldn't buy used? TIA!

LMPC
05-05-2010, 08:46 PM
We chose raised panel...I thought the others would get dirtier and be hard to clean. We bought them new and chose a color to match the house so that we wouldn't have to paint them....PITA IMO to paint them. I think I would buy them off CL only if they had NOT been painted. I like low maintenance things! I don't remember them being too crazy expensive....but then again, we only have them on our garage windows....so that's 4 shutters.

HTH!

Indianamom2
05-05-2010, 08:53 PM
No real experience, but I think I wouldn't buy used, only because they're not terribly expensive new.

As far as cleaning, I would think that the raised panel version would be a bit easier to clean/paint, but that's just my speculation. I also personally prefer the look of raised panel. They seem a bit more polished/contemporary to me.

ciw
05-05-2010, 08:59 PM
We chose raised panel...I thought the others would get dirtier and be hard to clean
Yeah, I'm thinking the raised panel would be better for the same reason.
And I wouldn't buy painted shutters from CL....but I have been thinking about buying unpainted black ones (but concerned I may end up painting them). We have three different size windows on our house so it's tough to find them all from one seller and I'm worried the blacks may not match. Buying new will definitely be pricey -- even if we only put shutters on the two sides of the house that face the road, that will be 13 windows and many of the windows are 71 inches tall. But, I'm afraid buying used could end up costing more than new if I have to paint the shutters and they warp/chip/bleed, etc.

MSWR0319
05-05-2010, 09:09 PM
We just finished building our house and initially thought we wanted louvered. When it came time to make the decision I made DH drive around with me and look at shutters, and we decided to go raised. I am so thankful we did. They look much better and more contemporary. I don't think I'd buy off of Cl unless they are new simply because they aren't too much anyway (at least not around here).