PDA

View Full Version : How to get the best price on cord blood banking?

jh75
05-05-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm currently planning on banking DD#3's cord blood. I'm pretty sure we'll go with CBR, but I want to make sure I pay the best possible price for it. Any suggestions?

MamaMolly
05-05-2010, 09:38 PM
We used Viacord because it was the one preferred by my OB (I asked). I think we got a coupon at Motherhood Maternity for $250 off? Not sure because DH handled it. I've also seen coupons for other companies in parenting magazines, too. Maybe you can google the company you wish to use and the word discount or coupon and see what comes up? GL!

GB
05-05-2010, 10:19 PM
If you have a history of disease in your immediate family treatable by cord blood, CBR will bank for free and store it for 5 years for free. At least they did that in 2005 and 2007. They went as far as a cousin of the baby back then, not sure if that's still their policy. It's called their Designated Donor program.

ged
05-05-2010, 11:04 PM
My OB had a flyer in her office for Viacord. I went online using the link in the flyer, and did a quick tutorial. Afterwards, I had to call in with my code (received at end of tutorial) and they give you a $400 discount plus a small gift card to motherhood, or somewhere like that.

eda
05-05-2010, 11:16 PM
You can also get a discount if you work in healthcare. You have to call and talk to an agent and tell them what you do, cbr was very leniant with their definition of healthcare.

edurnemk
05-05-2010, 11:37 PM
We used CBR (we were deciding between them and Viacord, which seem the best 2 options, but I just sided with CBR because of the fabulous attention I got from them with my million questions). I think we used a coupon, we also divided the initial payment in 6 monthly payments. I don't remember the details since it was 2+ years ago.

Now we've gotten several discounts because of referals. If someone you refered banks with them you get one year of free storage. We already got 2.

brittone2
05-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Tonight on ABC there is going to be some undercover segment about the marketing strategies used by cord blood banks, etc. You may want to watch before electing to bank privately.

I am not sure which abc news show it will be on but saw a preview for it.

lil_acorn
05-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm curious - how much does this cost?

sste
05-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Do you have a family history that would indicate a need for this (no need to answer here). My dh tracked down a bone marrow transplant oncologist at his hospital and he was not pro private banking based on state of medical technology "as is" - - what you are really banking is on the potential of future developments which is of course a personal judgment. He told us he would not use stem cells more than 8 or 10 years old and of course for many things you can only use it for a sibling.

We did a donation to a public bank which was free - - sometimes hospitals/obs will charge a collection fee but mine did not.

hopeful_mama
05-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Tonight on ABC there is going to be some undercover segment about the marketing strategies used by cord blood banks, etc. You may want to watch before electing to bank privately.

I am not sure which abc news show it will be on but saw a preview for it.

There was a piece on ABC World News last night, you can read about it here:

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/private-umbilical-cord-blood-banking-parents-spend-big/story?id=10549979

The gist of it was that most of the disorders they say can be treated with stem cells, can't be treated with the child's own stem cells (though possibly a sibling's). I believe they're doing another segment on cord blood banking tonight; if you miss it but are interested, you can probably find it on their website tomorrow.

YouAreTheFocus
05-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Do you have a public bank where you are? We went with a public one when our baby was born - it was free, and if we ever need it for a family member they will give us ours (if it is still available) or try to find a match (they are part of an international network). This seemed like a no-brainer!

jh75
05-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Do you have a public bank where you are? We went with a public one when our baby was born - it was free, and if we ever need it for a family member they will give us ours (if it is still available) or try to find a match (they are part of an international network). This seemed like a no-brainer!

Our hospital does not offer donation as an option, but there is a mail-in possibliity that I've looked into. I love the idea of public banking, but I really think we're going to do private this time.

Still looking for a deal on private banking...

hollybloom24
05-07-2010, 01:00 PM

This is available in Boston Mass too. We were only told about it after it was too late to donate (at delivery.)