PDA

View Full Version : Article about Pampers Dry Max causing rashes and chemical burns

09Mom
05-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Saw this article and thought it was share-worthy, although I don't know the validity.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36972785/ns/health-kids_and_parenting

Kymberley
05-05-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm glad this is finally getting press, but I'm seriously POd at P&G. The images and DOCTOR'S testimonials about the chemical burns that I've seen are absolutely heart breaking. Open wounds oozing yellow puss is not a typical diaper rash. :banghead:

buddyleebaby
05-05-2010, 09:38 PM
I have no idea if this is true, but I have to say I hate the name "dry max".
I recently went out of my way to buy the last of the old style diapers simply because the name seemed harsh to me.

marge234
05-05-2010, 09:40 PM
I can't find the FB group to which the article refers. There's one with 10 fans, can't find one with 3,000 fans.

spanannie
05-05-2010, 09:42 PM
My daughter now has eczema around the diaper area and a horrible case of hives that have spread all over her body . . . this after trying the dry-max for a week.

WatchingThemGrow
05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
So sad! We're lucky in that 1)DS1 started PTing yesterday and 2) we have at least 5 boxes of the old stuff in the attic for DS2.

Kymberley
05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
I can't find the FB group to which the article refers. There's one with 10 fans, can't find one with 3,000 fans.

Here you go: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=230956705705&ref=ts

Check out the photos. Have tissues nearby.

Jacksmommy2b
05-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Sam got a rash from them too. I was lucky in that I had heard some kids had problems with them, so at the first sign of a red tush they were out the door. I had no idea how bad it was until I googled and found the FB group.

Now I don't know what to use - huggies don't sit right on him, I wasn't crazy about the 7th gen and I do like Luvs - but I wanted to boycott P&G over the whole thing.

What a mess. My heart breaks for those poor babies. Some have scarring from the blisters, its unreal.

daisymommy
05-05-2010, 10:05 PM
We've been talking about this over in the Diaper forum. I actually had a box of the Drymax Cruisers in the regular Cruisers (ie. wrong) box. Andrew wore them for a week and then started getting red spots all over. That's when I read about this. I took the box back to Target and received a full refund. Thank-goodness the manager on duty was a mom who was fully aware of what has been going on with this. She said she was going to call the Target coorporate office and speak to someone about it.

lchang25000
05-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Very sad and disturbing. I posted in a thread in the diapers section that there are places that are still selling the old Cruisers (with the mesh). You need to look at the purple box/package and make sure it says GO BABY GRIPS (old ones, manuf. in 2009) or 3 WAY FIT (the really old ones, manuf. before 2009) instead of COMFORT FLEX (manuf. in 2010) which are the drymax dipes in the old packaging. I've gotten very lucky that way in finding the ones with mesh. I've seen the old Cruisers in a few places already...at Big Lots, grocery stores, and drugstores.

SpaceGal
05-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Very sad and disturbing. I posted in a thread in the diapers section that there are places that are still selling the old Cruisers (with the mesh). You need to look at the purple box/package and make sure it says GO BABY GRIPS (old ones) or 3 WAY FIT (the really old ones) instead of COMFORT FLEX which are the drymax dipes in the old packaging. I've gotten very lucky that way in finding the ones with mesh. I've seen the old Cruisers in a few places already...at Big Lots, grocery stores, and drugstores.

Ugh I have a bunch of these Comfort Flex boxes in the basement from the last Target clearance. I'll have to figure out what to do.

----- I just checked my Comfort Flex boxes and they all have the mesh white on the insides. I am guessing these are pre-drymax. Just to be clear are the drymax ones the ones with purple insides no mesh?

Minnifer
05-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Has anyone found the old Cruisers online in size 4? I did a quick search and was only finding the other sizes.

DD's tush has been looking a bit raw/bumpy/spotty and I didn't put 2 and 2 together until just now (we just switched over to the new Cruisers recently). Ugh!!!

AnnieW625
05-06-2010, 12:23 AM
We've been using Swaddlers Newborn with dry max for the past week with no problem. Most of our diapering will be cloth though, but for the time being these have been okay. We will most likely switch over to 7th Gen though for the times we'll need disposables though, but the Swaddlers were just convenient for us as they were available at Target and 7th Gen. wasn't.

DD1 did get horrible diaper rash from the old cruisers though so we switched to 7th Gen. then so I have a hard time believing that the whole new diaper rash issue is a new one, but it's good to know that the dry max issue is getting some press.

fivi2
05-06-2010, 12:28 AM
DD1 did get horrible diaper rash from the old cruisers though so we switched to 7th Gen. then so I have a hard time believing that the whole new diaper rash issue is a new one, but it's good to know that the dry max issue is getting some press.

My girls got a horrible rash (years ago) when we moved from swaddlers to cruisers - the old ones. I don't know what pampers puts in their diapers, but we were never fans!

ShanaMama
05-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Thank you! Months ago I was losing my mind trying to figure out what changed on the Cruisers, but the packaging was the same. I just got my first box of the dry Max & DD has been complaining that "tooshie booboo". She gets frequent rashes due to her sensitive skin & exczema. The first few pics on that FB link look like typical ones in this house. :( But that poor baby (the pics with the typed words.) That looks like pain!
I think I'll get some Huggies when I go to Costco on Friday. DD2 is a really good candidate for CD. I'm just not the right mom for it. I can't wait to toilet train her...

Kitten007
05-06-2010, 12:58 AM
I hate to say this (knock on wood) but both my boys are doing great in the new Dry Max Diapers. Both boys have sensitive skin. DS1 got that nice red rash from the older Cruisers with the mesh and I tried every diaper out there and he got better. DS2 had the nice looking all over contact rash when he was in the old Swaddlers with the mesh.

Hearing about all those poor babies breaks my heart.

I also wonder if we took a poll to see how many kids already have sensitive skin and/or if they are having a bad reaction to the purple dye in the lining (which should be taken out). And I wonder if maybe the types of wipe used and the Dry Max are having reactions with each other and maybe causing this sensitivity? Who knows. I just was curious about that.

For the record I use the Dry Max and the Sensitive Pampers wipes.

I hope all your babies are doing better.

MMEand1
05-06-2010, 02:47 AM
My DD had horrible reactions (open rashes) to the chemicals in all disposables but especially the ones made by Pampers and Huggies - and that was 5 years ago! So sad that these babies are suffering.

SnuggleBuggles
05-06-2010, 07:51 AM
We've been using Swaddlers Newborn with dry max for the past week with no problem. Most of our diapering will be cloth though, but for the time being these have been okay. We will most likely switch over to 7th Gen though for the times we'll need disposables though, but the Swaddlers were just convenient for us as they were available at Target and 7th Gen. wasn't.

I found 7th Generation at the conventional grocery store (not even one that caters to a "crunchier" crowd). I was so happy not to have to make a Whole Foods' or BRU run!

Beth

wellyes
05-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Pampers Baby Dry line does not use Dry Max, thank goodness. I've always liked them as much as Cruisers anyway.

liz
05-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Pampers Baby Dry line does not use Dry Max, thank goodness. I've always liked them as much as Cruisers anyway.

Yikes! I didn't know about the skin reactions babies were having from the new dry max diapers, so thanks for posting. We use the regular pampers here, but I did recieve a few packages of the dry max to try out. I am so glad I read this post. I was going to bring those diapers with us on our plane trip next week.

arivecchi
05-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Pampers Baby Dry line does not use Dry Max, thank goodness. :yeahthat: We have permanently switched to Baby Dry now, not due to rashes but because the new Drymax Cruisers leak like crazy at night.

ThreeofUs
05-06-2010, 11:22 AM
G had red spots after ONE diaper - and it was from an older pampers cruisers box, but the new diaper. I was SO very angry. Needless to say, we stopped using them but I have 2.5 boxes of those pampers sitting there.

Off to write a nasty letter to pampers.

arivecchi
05-06-2010, 11:31 AM
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=230956705705&ref=ts

Thanks for the link. I joined.

secchick
05-06-2010, 11:35 AM
:yeahthat: We have permanently switched to Baby Dry now, not due to rashes but because the new Drymax Cruisers leak like crazy at night.

I switched to Baby Dry after the last "redesign" of Cruisers with the mesh lining. I did use Swaddlers through size 2 when DS was a newborn, though. I got a free sample of the Dry Max ones, but haven't used them. I will give them to DD so she can put them on her dolls and stuffed animals.

alirebco
05-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Geez, that's awful. DS had awful reactions to regular Pampers Swaddlers, Huggies, and Seventh Generation when he was a newborn so we switched to cloth and he's been fine ever since. I can't even imagine what these would do to his sensitive skin. :(

wendibird22
05-06-2010, 07:59 PM
G had red spots after ONE diaper - and it was from an older pampers cruisers box, but the new diaper. I was SO very angry. Needless to say, we stopped using them but I have 2.5 boxes of those pampers sitting there.

Off to write a nasty letter to pampers.

Either take them back to the store for a refund or request a refund from Pampers. I was able to return 2 cases (1 of them 1/2 used) to BJs for a full refund/store credit.

09Mom
05-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Has anyone tried to take a partial box back to BRU?

megs4413
05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
I don't know what to think of this. DS has really sensitive skin (he reacts to other brands of diapers), but hasn't had a problem with the new dry max at all. should i keep using thim since he hasn't had any problems or get rid of them on principle? thoughts anyone??

crazydiamond
05-07-2010, 08:36 AM
We have been noticing a bit more irritation and rashes lately. We just started to use the new cruisers. Now I read this post and wonder if they are related.

We have always used pampers - should we switch to the dry max - or are the other brands that you can suggest? I am going to stop on the way home from work and pick up something different and see how DD does.

wendibird22
05-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Not sure if BRU will take back a partial box, but worth a try. Maybe call and ask to speak to a manager, that way you save yourself a trip if they say no.

We've been using the Baby Dry for a few weeks now and they work rather well. No rashes and no leaking out the back like the Dry Max did. We also bought Huggies Snugglers for daycare (only because the store didn't have baby dry in DD2's size) and those seem to be working fine as well.

peanut520
05-07-2010, 12:15 PM
dd broke out in a rash after 2 diapers and grand total of 3 hours in Dry Max. i called pampers and they are sending me a 10.00 coupon to try the swaddlers sensitive in 3-4 sz, but 1. no one local carries them 2. then still have the dry max without the mesh! i will not support P&G! we've switched to seventh generation.

LarsMal
05-07-2010, 12:21 PM
I don't know what to think of this. DS has really sensitive skin (he reacts to other brands of diapers), but hasn't had a problem with the new dry max at all. should i keep using thim since he hasn't had any problems or get rid of them on principle? thoughts anyone??

I'm having the same issue here. I am a loyal Pampers customer and was really peeved when they changed to this dry max thing. C had one day where she got a little red, but I put some butt cream on her and she's been fine. I'm surprised she's not having problems since my kids have such sensitive skin. I can't decide if I want to change after this box out of principle or stick with them since she isn't having any problems.

I might just switch to the Baby Dry since they have elastic in them now.

LarsMal
05-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Hearing about all those poor babies breaks my heart.

I also wonder if we took a poll to see how many kids already have sensitive skin and/or if they are having a bad reaction to the purple dye in the lining (which should be taken out). And I wonder if maybe the types of wipe used and the Dry Max are having reactions with each other and maybe causing this sensitivity? Who knows. I just was curious about that.

For the record I use the Dry Max and the Sensitive Pampers wipes.

Breaks my heart, too.

Just wanted to chime in that I also use the sensitive wipes (not having a problem with the new diapers). I talked to my friend today and she isn't having any problems either, but also has to use sensitive wipes on her LO sensitive skin. Interesting thought about the type of wipes/chemicals mixing to cause a reaction.

megs4413
05-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Breaks my heart, too.

Just wanted to chime in that I also use the sensitive wipes (not having a problem with the new diapers). I talked to my friend today and she isn't having any problems either, but also has to use sensitive wipes on her LO sensitive skin. Interesting thought about the type of wipes/chemicals mixing to cause a reaction.

we also use the sensitive wipes...i wonder if there's a correlation.

DrSally
05-07-2010, 02:41 PM
For those of you that still have boxes of diapers left, try taking them back to the store. Someone in the other thread took them back to BJ's and they gave her a store credit.

teedeedee
05-07-2010, 02:51 PM

I'm so glad you added this. I was trying to find out. I actually love the Baby Dry, but really dislike the Cruisers.

However, I think I'll try to find a non P&G brand until they get their act together. I hate that so many babies have been hurt by this. =(

vdrake71
05-07-2010, 04:35 PM
My daughter was using Cruisers about a 1 or 1 1/2 years ago and came down with a rash that did not get any better. I took her to the doctor and he told me it was from the diaper. I called Pampers and told them what had happened (they filled out a problem form) and they sent me a certificate. From then on we switched to Baby Dry. We never had any problems with Baby Dry.

Veronica

truly scrumptious
05-07-2010, 05:58 PM
we also use the sensitive wipes...i wonder if there's a correlation.

This is an interesting thought. DS, who never had diaper rash, suddenly developed a horrible, oozing, bleeding rash after using the DryMax for a couple of weeks. We had just switched to different wipes. We were very alarmed, and tried all kinds of things for the rash, including triple paste. We also switched back to Pampers Sensitive Wipes because they felt wetter than the other ones we were using, and his rash cleared up. Now you're making me think the sensitive wipes might have something to do with it.

I am finishing up this last box of DryMax, and another box of old Cruisers I have, but after that I'm switching to a store-brand (bought a box of BJs dipes to try.) I don't want to risk a horrible rash like that again. And it is too much of a coincidence that SO MANY people are having issues with them. Makes me wonder what's in them.

I also wonder if Pampers has something going on in their manufacturing where certain dipes are more "toxic" than others, which might explain the randomness of the breakouts - some immediately, some after a few weeks.